Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 6, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #54,361 of 150,366
To be fair, right now they're only doing Modi 3 as a D/S DAC that I know of?

Perhaps also Gungnir D/S, though IIRC Jason mentioned that version's not selling very well and may be discontinued. That would really leave just the Modi 3 as the only D/S DAC in Schiit's offering, which is consistent with Mike's philosophy that D/S has a place in cheaper, simpler designs.

EDIT: No, wait. Hel and Fulla.

Still cheaper and simpler, but "numerous" doesn't seem off anymore.

Not sure if the DAC that Baldr mentions below is D/S but would be interested in his one if it gets to production! :)

Sorry Guys for missing the SoCal CanJam as I am still getting used to my walker and hate to look like a total spazz. I stayed home playing with my newest four DAC protos. Well, after building DACs for well over forty years, I thought I knew a lot. Funny thing about these DACs was they were built all for some future low end to low middle range products. I typically start building new idea products about a year or so before I have refined them enough to put them in production. One of these stuck out as being in many ways the best thing I have ever built. More on that one in a bit...

...Here is the result I did not expect.

3. One of the cheap DACs sounded waaaaaaaaaaaaay too *** good. This what I should know after forty some years of building DACs. I have to find out why this cheap DAC if built sounds so good. I do not believe in the engineering paranormal so perhaps I am missing out on some engineering spec. We shall see. More on this as it is revealed.

Dec 6, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #54,362 of 150,366
Thank you for the detailed reply!

I will have to check my GE 6FQ7's and see if they have the dots.

I do have a quartet of the RCA clear top 6FQ7's, and they are nice indeed!

+1 on the RCA clear tops. I use these in my Van Alstine preamp and they are the best examples of this type that I've found so far.

JC

Dec 6, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #54,366 of 150,366
@Jason Stoddard
The LED on the Vali 2 needs to be removed to provide a matched appearance when stacked with the Magni 3+.
JMTCW,
r2

And the Modi has an option for a black and grey color scheme instead of the black and red one.

Dec 6, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #54,368 of 150,366
Why would you be stacking Magni 3+ with Vali 2?
IMG_1611.JPG

Choice / synergy with HPs

Dec 6, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #54,375 of 150,366

Users who are viewing this thread

Back