1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. bcowen
    Good to know. I admittedly don't have any experience with GE octal power tubes. My opinion of the small octals and 9-pinners prevented me from ever buying any. I tried a pair of the long plate 12AX7's a good while back in a phono stage, but I can't tell you what vintage they were. Both were too noisy to get a good handle on their sound, but to be fair phono stages can be especially finicky with high gain tubes. That's just me though, and I'm sure many here will attest to the fact I'm weird. :relaxed:

classfolkphile likes this.
  2. ScubaMan2017
    I gotta say, I'd be on board with that. My adaptor makes the 6SN7 stick out on a slight angle (it's not sharply perpendicular). Sure, I sniped the copper pins down... and clipped them... and clipped them... Nope. Had to stop.
    FM ain't dead. AM should be in my neck of the woods (AM-stereo making a comeback... anywhere?). Unfortunately, our condo faces away from the CN Tower (with all its transmitters hidden at the top). I'm sure there must also be some nice radio out of Buffalo, NY... won't receive it. Pity. {{{{yes, yes. Stream it. I like having FM/AM as a backup band when the SHTF}}}}.

...with the Burt Reynolds mustache on the shag carpet (1972 Cosmo Centrefold... link NSFW?).... and then I searched for the full image. Oh wow. Fury dude.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    yonson and bcowen like this.
  3. ScubaMan2017
    BTW, my classic stack is installed. Asgard 2 ain't no slouch. And matt black?! Mighty fine.

linuxjacques, yonson, 33na3rd and 5 others like this.
  4. tincanear
    Bifrost 4490 or Multibit, if I may ask? initial impressions vs Modi (after a few hours warm-up of both units)?

5. valiant66
    A long while back I pushed for an FM tuner (with magic eye!). No go. There’s good quality radio where I live (and tons of crap too of course) so I listen to FM most days. Broadcast analog signals are way less compressed than digital ones over the net and a good tuner with a good antenna can result in very pleasant high quality listening.

I used to have a Magnum Dynalab - I still miss it.

33na3rd, grokit, AudioGal and 4 others like this.
  6. valiant66
    Streaming radio is much lower quality. Think 192k mp3 quality or less. Broadcast FM is much better quality.

YMMV of course, as with all analog sources.

It’s not hard to hear, btw, if you set up a good-ish FM receiver and A/B it with the same station streamed.

GearMe likes this.
  7. Charente
    Ordered a Magni 3+ ... looking forward to hearing it and making some fun comparisons ... although it will take a while to get across the pond to me.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    ScubaMan2017 and thebmc like this.
  8. ev666il
    You know the drill: Pics or it didn’t happen. Also dying to see the classic stack in black :D

bcowen likes this.
  9. RickB
    Get thee a battery-operated shortwave radio. All you can pretty much hear nowadays are crazy preachers and Chinese propaganda, but if the SHTF it may make a comeback.

bcowen and GearMe like this.
  10. FLTWS
    Magnum Dynalab was the best performing tuner I ever owned (and still made in couple of varieties) Marantz 10B was the most fun.

33na3rd, bcowen and GearMe like this.
  11. Tim van der Leeuw
    And the D/S DAC Card, to put into the DAC/Amps like Asgard 3, Jotunheim, etc.

12. Tim van der Leeuw
    Username checks out... :ksc75smile:

13. ev666il
    Going back to the first Yggdrasil chapter for a second, I wanted to ask—does anybody know when D/S ADCs started to see widespread use in the industry?

Based on what Jason wrote, CDs recorded roughly from the early days of digital (1982) to about a decade later (say, 1992) should have gone through multibit ADCs (thus retaining all original samples.) Mike's GAIN system was in use from 1993 to 1997, so MFSL albums released in that time frame also used a multibit ADC (with an inverse comboburrito filter to boot.)

Bit of a nervosa moment for me, but I'm trying to ascertain which albums would give me the full "original samples" experience, which should be as close to analog as digital can sound (I've already retrieved a list of MFSL records done with Mike's GAIN system, so I'm mostly after everything else.)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  14. GearMe
    Haven't thought about listening to FM radio at home in forever...just news & sports in the car.

Had a Marantz as well...nice tuner. Considered a Sequerra back in the day. That MAY have been the beginning of me realizing that I had a problem! :wink:

Didn't even know that Analog FM Tuners were still a thing. Just checked and Magnum Dynalab is still in business and even sells Certified Used gear w/1 year parts & labor starting at $375...going up to $6550 (yes...used)
    For. An. FM. Tuner. :astonished:

Tim van der Leeuw and bcowen like this.
  15. FLTWS
    The Sequerra was a real beauty as well (as was the Day/Sequerra follow) up but out of my pocketbook's range back then and given that there is only 1 FM station I listen to now, not much incentive to own one.
    Sequerra's Met 7 and 11 were interesting little speakers.

33na3rd and GearMe like this.