Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 5, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #54,316 of 150,897
@Jason Stoddard
What is the rationale for redesigning the Magni? The two new versions put out a bit less power than the Magni 3, and the other measurable differences between all three versions are likely inaudible to %99.99999 of people. Do they sound better or different in immeasurable ways? Are they cheaper to produce? What am I missing? I doubt the point was change for change's sake or to create fodder for the Thunderdome.

They actually put out more power than Magni 3 into 32 ohms. Look at the actual APx555 measurements. Also, wait for reviews and comparisons.

@Jason Stoddard now that you've committed heresy, you reckon you might do the same type of deal with your 2-channel line up? Class D Vidar (or Thor class D monoblocks, perhaps?)

I've spent two years messing with Class D. In short, no. However, there is hope. More on that next year. I hope.

Give us class D poweramp in a Bifrost chassis.

Also, give us a Loki in the Bifrost chassis.

What about Vidar getting a revision to feature Nexus technology. Basically the poweramp portion of Ragnarok 2 in a vidar sized chassis.

Oooo, one last thing..

A super sys.... All passive preamp, maybe one or two balanced ins/outs, one or two SE ins and outs, with a 64 step attenuator or a nice pot.

See above for the Bifrost Class D amp.

Nexus™ is balanced, a balanced Vidar is a very different thing. And not able to run mono. So nope.

Super Sys = Saga S or Freya S. Sorry, I don't see the need for a nearly-same-priced product if you factor in remote control (it would be $299 minimum if you're talking relay volume.) A $149 pot in a box is feasible with a good pot (4-gang RK27). Not sure if anyone wants that though. That's a real passive, no remote.

I like the idea of the super sys in a Bifrost sized chassis (although IMHO it really needs a remote).

Since it's that time of season anyway...

I WISH for:

Double width Aegir that is 4 ohm mono STABLE even if it only has 50 - 75% more power vs Aegir...
Saga+ size balanced preamp (would be unnecessary if the following wish came true)
Jotunheim 2, basically Jotunheim with a remote control and Unison USB cards (this is really my #1 wish and should be the easiest to do)

Aegir is 4 ohm stable in mono (stable is a specific engineering term, meaning that it does not oscillate).

Saga+ sized solid state balanced pre would be at least $499, and Freya+ didn't exactly sell like hotcakes, so no.

Jotunheim is a headphone amp, I don't see the need for a remote for a headphone amp, sorry.

All that said,,,

Don't worry, I'll do an end of the year wrap-up with some speculations on where we're going.

And I hear you. It's just that some things may not appear the way you expect them to...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 5, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #54,317 of 150,897
@Jason Stoddard
Maybe put a Hypex NCore MP series amp board in a box and sell it? Yes, zero design effort, zero differentiation, but gives your customers a choice in your line for a top measuring mid powered class D amp.

NC122MP, NC252MP for instance. NC252MP fits in a Valhalla or Jotunheim case, since no dissipation is needed in practice.

Hypex is a lot more popular in Europe than in the US for some unknown reason. Distribution maybe?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #54,319 of 150,897
Aegir is 4 ohm stable in mono (stable is a specific engineering term, meaning that it does not oscillate).

Saga+ sized solid state balanced pre would be at least $499, and Freya+ didn't exactly sell like hotcakes, so no.

Jotunheim is a headphone amp, I don't see the need for a remote for a headphone amp, sorry.

All that said,,,

Don't worry, I'll do an end of the year wrap-up with some speculations on where we're going.

And I hear you. It's just that some things may not appear the way you expect them to...

Thanks for the reply Jason.

What would need to be changed to keep Aegir out of over-current protection in 4 ohm mono (other than the obvious of turning down the volume)...

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #54,321 of 150,897
There's no such thing as too many tubes, unless of course they're GE-made GE's in which case 1 is too many. :smile:

I was hoping for a little clarification on your bias (pun intended) against GE tubes.

Do you dislike all GE tubes, or just certain models?

The GE 6FQ7 is one of my favorites from the 6FQ7/6CG7 family, but I've never tried GE's anywhere else.

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #54,322 of 150,897
Dec 5, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #54,323 of 150,897
You guys are asking for the wrong stuff!

A Nexus Continuity 200W monster Class A amp in 2020!

I can dream...or maybe I need to beg more? Lol.

It's crazy how many Schiit products came out this year. Curious if we will see any new DAC products or refreshes next year. And the Gadget!

Dec 5, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #54,324 of 150,897
@Jason Stoddard
Maybe put a Hypex NCore MP series amp board in a box and sell it? Yes, zero design effort, zero differentiation, but gives your customers a choice in your line for a top measuring mid powered class D amp.

NC122MP, NC252MP for instance. NC252MP fits in a Valhalla or Jotunheim case, since no dissipation is needed in practice.

Hypex is a lot more popular in Europe than in the US for some unknown reason. Distribution maybe?

If we can't do it better, we won't do it.

The market doesn't need more me-too products.

Edit: also might be significant design effort. FCC for the board is not FCC for the unit. We don't assume the board's certification protects us.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 5, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #54,325 of 150,897
Hey Jason, have you ever thought about making a digital converter? Something that allows USB/Coaxial/optical input to be turned into USB/Coaxial/Optical output?

Yes a super Eitr (with unison).

Most of my home electronics only have toslink output. My coaxial inputs on my schiit gear, generally go unused.

There has been rumor put out a time or two on other threads about a digital preamp. Could a function like this be built into that hypothetical box? There are options out there for converting coaxial to toslink and vice versa, but I feel Schiit could probably do it better.

Too much of a niche item for you?

Dec 5, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #54,326 of 150,897
For all of you Raal fans our there.

It's on drop.com, with a 500 dollar coupon in the cart.

https://drop.com/buy/raal-requisite-sr1a-earfield-headphone
jaja indeed
exactly what i wanted to post

https://drop.com/buy/raal-requisite...ontent=1575553746576.911602965007313329164749

Still with amp adapter/interface ... a Raal kit with Jotunheim R is what we want
But with this offer it means that 2.5K for phones alone is possible this with the Jotunheim R is an amazing deal IMO (unless, beforehand, I hear them and the sound sucks)

Dec 5, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #54,328 of 150,897
Yes a super Eitr (with unison).

I would also love a super eitr, more so just unison with SPDIF, COAX and AES output :)

Currently going to get a raspberry pi to do this, but would love to stick with my Schiit and have a easy plug and plan solution.

Also Freya S is an amazing pre amp!! Incredibly transparent and allows proper conversion of XLR to SE or other way around. Makes comparing gear super easy and using the 'best' xlr output on my DAC and feeding my SE input only tubes amp.

Sad to hear it is going to die, but maybe I have a rare piece of audio equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back