1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Roy G. Biv
    Meh... any publicity is good publicity. But yeah, kind of an odd list.

2. yonson
    So, what is his preference, raw or cooked cables???

3. belgiangenius
    No BS in Washington? The world would implode.

Trump sort of campaigned on no BS, but he just substituted his own personal BS for the normal political BS.

axle11, thebmc, leonthebumme and 3 others like this.
  4. Zojokkeli
    Al dente?

yonson and FLTWS like this.
  5. PioBeer
    @Jason Stoddard now that you've committed heresy, you reckon you might do the same type of deal with your 2-channel line up? Class D Vidar (or Thor class D monoblocks, perhaps?)

Ripper2860 and Rensek like this.
  6. Rensek
    Give us class D poweramp in a Bifrost chassis.

Also, give us a Loki in the Bifrost chassis.

What about Vidar getting a revision to feature Nexus technology. Basically the poweramp portion of Ragnarok 2 in a vidar sized chassis.

Oooo, one last thing..

A super sys.... All passive preamp, maybe one or two balanced ins/outs, one or two SE ins and outs, with a 64 step attenuator or a nice pot.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  7. ev666il
    Clearly the next heretic move is giving the red/black treatment to the whole line-up :D

8. r2muchstuff
    Please no!

9. Smithington
    I'm clearly not able to speak on Jason's behalf, but I can see two things to be gained here.

1. A reasonable amount of people will likely try both and post here their thoughts. Which I daresay will be interesting to read.

2. There are loads of people who almost literally live and die by measurement and buy their gear pretty much exclusively on this merit so that they can sleep well knowing that on paper their gear rates well. Those people are really vocal on other forums about how things measure. Tapping into an additional market is always a good thing.

Having less power is possibly not relevant to many people looking to buy magni (I wouldn't know what do do with all that power right now!).

I think it's a great move and as someone who works in product management, I admire / am slightly envious of the ability to provide two versions of the same thing for this sort of exercise.

I'm genuinely interested in the outcome of this.

10. dieslemat

I just want a chassis.

11. RickB
    All you need is a bicycle generator, some storage batteries and you're set for the zombie apocalypse. :thumbsup:

bcowen likes this.
  12. Paladin79
    Finnegan is happy to chew on most anything that moves but I like the Al dente answer.:smile_phones:

13. yonson
    I like the idea of the super sys in a Bifrost sized chassis (although IMHO it really needs a remote).

Since it's that time of season anyway...

I WISH for:

Double width Aegir that is 4 ohm mono STABLE even if it only has 50 - 75% more power vs Aegir...
    Saga+ size balanced preamp (would be unnecessary if the following wish came true)
    Jotunheim 2, basically Jotunheim with a remote control and Unison USB cards (this is really my #1 wish and should be the easiest to do)

14. Jason Stoddard
    They actually put out more power than Magni 3 into 32 ohms. Look at the actual APx555 measurements. Also, wait for reviews and comparisons.

I've spent two years messing with Class D. In short, no. However, there is hope. More on that next year. I hope.

See above for the Bifrost Class D amp.

Nexus™ is balanced, a balanced Vidar is a very different thing. And not able to run mono. So nope.

Super Sys = Saga S or Freya S. Sorry, I don't see the need for a nearly-same-priced product if you factor in remote control (it would be $299 minimum if you're talking relay volume.) A $149 pot in a box is feasible with a good pot (4-gang RK27). Not sure if anyone wants that though. That's a real passive, no remote.

Aegir is 4 ohm stable in mono (stable is a specific engineering term, meaning that it does not oscillate).

Saga+ sized solid state balanced pre would be at least $499, and Freya+ didn't exactly sell like hotcakes, so no.

Jotunheim is a headphone amp, I don't see the need for a remote for a headphone amp, sorry.

All that said,,,

Don't worry, I'll do an end of the year wrap-up with some speculations on where we're going.

And I hear you. It's just that some things may not appear the way you expect them to...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  15. Matias
    @Jason Stoddard
    Maybe put a Hypex NCore MP series amp board in a box and sell it? Yes, zero design effort, zero differentiation, but gives your customers a choice in your line for a top measuring mid powered class D amp.

NC122MP, NC252MP for instance. NC252MP fits in a Valhalla or Jotunheim case, since no dissipation is needed in practice.

Hypex is a lot more popular in Europe than in the US for some unknown reason. Distribution maybe?