1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. RickB
    The name of the article is "The 10 Best Audio Products of 2019".

2. bcowen
    Awwww....man. Just get more tubes. That's why they have sockets. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Tube Stash Combined Full Size.jpg

3. FLTWS
    Yep, no hoarding going on here, nothing to see, just move along.

4. Gazny
    How do you store tubes without their original box? Should they always be upwards? Any tips?

bcowen likes this.
  5. FLTWS
    I guess any way that allows you to see what the tube type is without digging some out from below. Mark the end flaps on replacement boxes If not already marked. If you have a lot of tubes and need Tupperware tub containers, storing on ends takes up less space so you can get more in as well as see what they are. I store mine on their sides in 12 x 12 x 2 cardboard display boxes with hinged lids, I just don't have that many. Odd shapes like some of my Psvanes get a separate box for each type, that's usually the way they are shipped.

bcowen and Gazny like this.
  6. bcowen
    Old Deaf Donkey and Paladin79 like this.
  7. bcowen
    That's collecting you see there. Yup, collecting. Plus a few spares for the spares.

There's no such thing as too many tubes, unless of course they're GE-made GE's in which case 1 is too many. :smile:

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  8. Paladin79
    I get quite a few tubes from @bcowen and they are always in original or brand new boxes so the first thing I do is remove the tubes from the boxes, use the boxes for fire starter, then store the tubes on their side like bottles of red wine. Generally they just become cat toys anyway so why make Finnegan open the little boxes? This is not the preferred method of handling tubes but it causes Bill to go into what appears to be a panic attack so that is always good for an evenings entertainment. Eventually I just make up a story about how they sounded cause oftentimes I never see them again anyway. Oh eventually I will move our refrigerator forward and find the tubes safely stored with a season's worth of other cat toys but they are perfectly safe under there.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  9. moopster
    @Jason Stoddard
    What is the rationale for redesigning the Magni? The two new versions put out a bit less power than the Magni 3, and the other measurable differences between all three versions are likely inaudible to %99.99999 of people. Do they sound better or different in immeasurable ways? Are they cheaper to produce? What am I missing? I doubt the point was change for change's sake or to create fodder for the Thunderdome.

10. Paladin79
    I have a stockpile of GE tubes that Bill will most likely buy from me one day when he becomes senile, I can wait him out, the tubes are not going anywhere and I certainly do not plug them into amplifiers on purpose. :ksc75smile:

11. bcowen
    I really don't want those back. That's why I sent them to you to begin with after debating if they were even worth the postage cost. Send them to @Ripper2860 . He hoards all tubes, even GE's. :relaxed:

12. yonson
    This is precisely why I have not ventured into tube amps any further than Vali2...

13. bcowen
    And those stories are pretty entertaining on my end, 'cause I'm thinking "Man, this guy couldn't hear a semi smashing into the side of his house. Send worn out Philips ECG's next time." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Paladin79
    IMG_1511.jpg
    LMAO! Most likely you hoard those too.

Seriously though I cannot imagine any difference in storing a tube on its side or straight up. Eventually they can lose vacuum, or the pin soldering was not made to last 40 years, those would be my concerns with vintage tubes. I tend to store tubes by value, I have some in foam rubber in Pelican cases, others in foam in aluminum cases, lesser expensive tubes I store in tube boxes on their side or straight up.

Oh and Finnegan is maturing, he barely bats around a tube anymore. His tastes have changed.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  15. Ripper2860
    Sure. I'll just stencil in a 'C' at then end of 'GE' and sell the whole lot to @TK16. If I picture them posing on a nice shag carpet, I'll be sure to get top dollar out of him!! :wink:

TK16, Roy G. Biv and bcowen like this.