Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 3, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #50,132 of 151,481
To those with the new Bifrost: How does the Unison USB handle inferior sources? I am running Roon on a NUC and the performance on my Gungnir Multibit is significantly worse using the NUC USB as a source compared to a Digione. I'd love to remove the Digione and the extra switch from my setup but the sound difference is just too great right now. I have high hopes for Unison though.

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #50,134 of 151,481
Dislikes to me are like merit badges.
If I'm trying to please everyone, all the time, I'm doing it wrong.

The diversity of motivations, and sensibilities is vast and wide.
There is no way to please everyone, and yes it can be a delicate act of balancing the pushes and pulls.

JJ

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #50,135 of 151,481
Dislikes to me are like merit badges.
If I'm trying to please everyone, all the time, I'm doing it wrong.

The diversity of motivations, and sensibilities is vast and wide.
There is no way to please everyone, and yes it can be a delicate act of balancing the pushes and pulls.

JJ

I dislike this. You are welcome :D

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #50,136 of 151,481
Yes, and now I have demonstrable proof, I'm doing it right.
And how did I just KNOW that there would be timely independent proof succinctly supplied?
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Sep 3, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #50,137 of 151,481
Drinking a cup of Joe here and I was thinking on how good the Schitt Unison USB interface is working here and the realization came to me that the actual interface and what it is doing or not doing seems to be so much more important than the actual USB cable used.

I have never been a real believer in cables make a profound difference, having conducted many listening tests over the years with some high end systems etc. That said I am always open to new technology and trying etc..

So when I got my original Bifrost dac, it to me made a very nice difference in that it seems it presented a more musical experience. I tested all three inputs, USB and Optical and even used a good CD transport bypassing the PC stuff altogether. I did not hear or perceive a real difference, this is with USB 2.0 and then along came Gen5 USB. Testing again to me no real super difference in the inputs but the convience using USB in my setup won out. (no digital outputs from the PC)...and I didnt want to buy an EITR or USB to SPDIF dongle and have more cables etc...

Then along comes this new Unison USB from Schiit. A really very noticeable and pronounced difference in the positive. Another "good" improvement

in musical presentation. So I wonder what Schitt is really doing with their new USB magic. I have some thoughts from other posters on other sites but its still guess work and we may never know due to its properitary-ness.

But whatever its doing its a step in the right direction.....

Alex

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #50,138 of 151,481
Drinking a cup of Joe here and I was thinking on how good the Schitt Unison USB interface is working here and the realization came to me that the actual interface and what it is doing or not doing seems to be so much more important than the actual USB cable used.

I have never been a real believer in cables make a profound difference, having conducted many listening tests over the years with some high end systems etc. That said I am always open to new technology and trying etc..

So when I got my original Bifrost dac, it to me made a very nice differenece in that it seems it presented a more musical experience. I tested alll three inputs, USB and Optical and even used a good CD transport bypassing the PC stuff altogether. I did not hear pr perceive a real difference, this is with USB 2.0 and then along came Gen5 USB. Testing again to me no real super difference in the inputs but the convience using USB in my setup won out. (no digital outputs from the PC)...and I didnt want to buy an EITR or USB to SPDIF dongle and have more cables etc...

Then along comes this new Unison USB from Schiit. A really very noticeable and pronounced difference in the positive. Another "good" imporvement in musical presentation. So I wonder what Schitt is really doing with their new USB magic. I have some thoughts from other posters on other sites but its still guess work and we may never know due to its properitary-ness.

But whatever its doing its a step in the right direction.....

Alex

My idea of a perfect USB interface is that it would make all USB sources sound equally good, so USB on a Raspberry Pi will sound just like USB on a $5000 streamer. Well, nothing is perfect but my hope is that Unison moves the ball in that direction. This might imply that Unison is not of much value to anyone with a $5000 streamer but I could live with that.

Sep 3, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #50,139 of 151,481
tube shootout.jpg This is the group of items I am shipping to @Jason Stoddard for the September 12th tube shootout. 6sn7 equivalents that would work in a Lyr 3, Saga, or even a Vali 2 with the proper adapter. The tubes are concealed in ventilated pvc pipe so this will be a totally blind listening experience. The tubes could work in a Freya but they are not matched, or even the same brand in most cases.

Sep 3, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #50,140 of 151,481
Hi guys, thanks for all the helpful hints in regard to my tongue-in-cheek post. For those who thought I was a simpleton (mayor of, XTC fans?) for asking what D/S is, it came to me yesterday while I was out taking my constitutional. Delta/Sigma, D/S! Facepalm. It's just that, as a Ygg(drasil) owner, I hadn't thought about delta/sigma in years. Except as a college frat, of course...

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #50,141 of 151,481
Sep 3, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #50,142 of 151,481
Sep 3, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #50,143 of 151,481
@Jason Stoddard, Bifrost manual might ought to include the remote in the “What’s in the box”.

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #50,145 of 151,481
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back