Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 2, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #50,102 of 148,532
In the 70's I punched machine code for IBM 360 and Burroughs 9000 machines into 80-column cards, spun tape drives for storage and had fun printing out Einstein and Snoopy images using the big chain-drive line printer. Today my phone has 100X the computing power of an entire 1974 room. No, I don't miss it.

Sep 2, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #50,103 of 148,532
Sep 2, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #50,104 of 148,532
Gumby

Funny (not really) if you type gumby on another site. The website changes it automatically to Gungnir Multibit. Mmmmm censorship.

Yes censorship. So what. They aren't a government. They can do what they want with their site.

As for feet, I use these all over the place to space and for speaker isolation. I use 2x2 and 3x3 depending on the need, but 2x2 should be good for just about any audio application. I've seen other sites selling these as "audiophile anti-vibration" for 4 for $13! I prefer 33 cents each.
mp-2e-3.jpg
mp-2c-3.jpg

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Pads-11752000
On the site, check "under $1" and "$1-$5" to see the range. the 2x2 work great. Buy a couple of dozen, since they are cheap and the shipping is the same. Give 'em to friends! There are a few other options on the site to check out too.

So, has anyone compared the Bifrost Multibit to the Bifrost 2, using USB on both?

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #50,105 of 148,532
Look, I get the frustration of dealing with nicknames and abbreviations (what's a D/S, BTW, oops, I meant by the way...) If Jason wants to discourage this, he should give his creations shorter names. Who has the time to type Yggdrasil in full more than once? Stick to names like Modi (though why would Schiit name a DAC after the prime minister of India?) or Freya.

And speaking of Freya, Jason, if you really want to improve it, please add a balance control...

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #50,106 of 148,532
though why would Schiit name a DAC after the prime minister of India?)

In Norse mythology, Móði (anglicized Módi or Mothi) and Magni are the sons of Thor. Their names translate to "Courage" and "Mighty," respectively.

I just wonder when Schiit with start to use other Lovecraft names! (CTHULU (sic) is from Lovecraft - probably spelled wrong to avoid a TradeMark infringement)

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #50,107 of 148,532
In Norse mythology, Móði (anglicized Módi or Mothi) and Magni are the sons of Thor. Their names translate to "Courage" and "Mighty," respectively.

I just wonder when Schiit with start to use other Lovecraft names! (CTHULU (sic) is from Lovecraft - probably spelled wrong to avoid a TradeMark infringement)

To quote the revered philosopher Foghorn Leghorn,
"That was a joke, I say, that was a joke, son."
Did I need to include an emoji?

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #50,108 of 148,532
To quote the revered philosopher Foghorn Leghorn,
"That was a joke, I say, that was a joke, son."
Did I need to include an emoji?
Yes. Welcome to the internet. :)
But a line of schiit named after world leaders is so apropos!

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #50,109 of 148,532
Yes censorship. So what. They aren't a government. They can do what they want with their site.

As for feet, I use these all over the place to space and for speaker isolation. I use 2x2 and 3x3 depending on the need, but 2x2 should be good for just about any audio application. I've seen other sites selling these as "audiophile anti-vibration" for 4 for $13! I prefer 33 cents each.
mp-2e-3.jpg
mp-2c-3.jpg

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Pads-11752000
On the site, check "under $1" and "$1-$5" to see the range. the 2x2 work great. Buy a couple of dozen, since they are cheap and the shipping is the same. Give 'em to friends! There are a few other options on the site to check out too.

So, has anyone compared the Bifrost Multibit to the Bifrost 2, using USB on both?

Excellent advice Allan per usual! I may grab a Bifrost 2 soon and at least compare it to a Gungnir, I am curious as well how the 2 does with USB.

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #50,111 of 148,532
Look, I get the frustration of dealing with nicknames and abbreviations (what's a D/S, BTW, oops, I meant by the way...) If Jason wants to discourage this, he should give his creations shorter names. Who has the time to type Yggdrasil in full more than once? Stick to names like Modi (though why would Schiit name a DAC after the prime minister of India?) or Freya.

And speaking of Freya, Jason, if you really want to improve it, please add a balance control...

use a program like autohotkey https://www.autohotkey.com - to set up text completion, code something like ygg expands to Yggdrasil , type in ygg and then enter or tab and autohotkey will expand it to the phrase you use. so convenient, I have phrases that expand to entire paragraphs for caned responses at work. the trick is to pick letter combinations that are not part of words you normally type. some i use multiple times a day are phrases that expand to my email address and my password

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #50,114 of 148,532
No Unix V7 was the last version before AT&T started the System III naming then SVR4. Xenix was derived from V7. I think BSD started with V6 (you got me rummaging around in Wikipedia History of Unix to nail some of this down :) )

I'll raise your wiki with: http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix/history_timeline.html

Though the Xenix reference is accurate, it's not complete. Logica in London developed Xenix and Microsfoft IIRC moved Andrew King and much of his group to Seattle. Interesting note, Radio Shack (Tandy) was the second largest shipper of UNIX after AT&T though shipping Xenix on the Model 16. I made a lot of money selling those :)

Cheers

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #50,115 of 148,532
Gumby

Funny (not really) if you type gumby on another site. The website changes it automatically to Gungnir Multibit. Mmmmm censorship.

Capture.JPG

Hello ...

My creator, Art Clokey, has asked me to remind you that Gumby is not a DAC.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back