Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 2, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #50,116 of 148,569
In the 70's I punched machine code for IBM 360 and Burroughs 9000 machines into 80-column cards, spun tape drives for storage and had fun printing out Einstein and Snoopy images using the big chain-drive line printer. Today my phone has 100X the computing power of an entire 1974 room. No, I don't miss it.

HA! Two words...Sequence Numbers :wink:

First program I wrote in high school was saved on Paper Tape using a Teletype

First real job...I remember installing/configuring/tuning/etc. state-of-the art disk/dasd strings with boxes as tall as a grown man -- total storage was 10GB.

upload_2019-9-2_12-37-41.jpeg

Far worse though was supporting the earlier models with the Removable Disk Packs

upload_2019-9-2_12-48-10.jpeg

Whoever had that idea...:thinking:

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #50,118 of 148,569
I started developing professionally in 1981 at a large insurance company and we still used keypunch cards for our overrides. I went to school in early 1981, wrote out the code on paper, sent paper to the keypunch department so they can type in the cards and then submitted the deck. We got 1 compile a night, it took 5 days just to get the syntax errors out of the way. Had to type in our own corrections, pull out card 55, hit the dupe key 51 times, type in the correction, dupe key to the end, insert new card in deck.

Still anal about coding for performance though most improvements are no longer perceptible to the end user.

One of my 'happiest' days storage wise was discovering i had an 8 MB D: drive, 40 MB drives just came out and DOS only supported 32 MB partitions. I was absolutely giddy that I had 8 MB more

Reflect every day on how fortunate i was to choose this path almost 40 years ago, I still get to code every day and still enjoy learning new things and solving problems.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #50,120 of 148,569
In 1975, as an aspiring computer scientist, we were so excited that the computer center was getting a CRT terminal. It was made by Hazeltine, and reserved for graduate students, as we beginners were just learning to write FORTRAN with punch cards. BTW, Black and White film was still the only film we concerned with, the color was years away

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #50,121 of 148,569
...I was wondering whether it could be stacked on the uncut side of a Freya+. Sounds like that could be iffy or worse.
I just measured my OG Freya. The site says Bifrost 2 is 9" wide, which would put it just over the edge of my Freya even if it were touching the tubes. I assume the feet are in a bit from the edge, so you could place it there if your OCD is better than mine and you can handle it hanging off the edge a bit.

Sep 2, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #50,122 of 148,569

Hello ...

My creator, Art Clokey, has asked me to remind you that Gumby is not a DAC.

Have a nice day ...
Dumb Animated Clay. DAC.
'Nuf siad :dt880smile:

Sep 2, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #50,123 of 148,569
Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #50,124 of 148,569
Freya-S startup time is 30 seconds.
But it might as well be 3 minutes. Turn it on when I get up in the morning :grinning: and turn it off when I go to bed at night.:zzz:
Just timed it and the OG Freya takes about 50 seconds. I don’t like to leave it on all the time since it gets pretty hot and I’m not sure the LISST tubes will last forever (and no replacements available.)
At least it sounds like the Freya S is selling well so should be around for a while

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #50,125 of 148,569
Listening to Ray Charles and Natalie Cole, "Fever" via the Unison USB in my Bifrost "1". Amp in rotation this week is the Crack. In the past this has been a great pairing with Senn HD 600's and T1's but the T1's were not quite as good at the HD 600's IMO. Well with the new interface the T1's have really been awakened!

The perfromance is stellar...the bass is so solid and tight, just a wonderful musical presentation. I have been thinking of getting new headphones but with the changes I am hearing with the Unison, I wonder how much better can this really get!

The T1's are the 2nd geneartion. Had them about a year + now...they only wake up on certain amps for me, like the Mainline and Crack, and Vahalla 2.
Other SS amps they are just ho-hum, good but ho-hum to me.

It looks like the benefits of the Unison interface works well across most amps here...with the above 3 , its more apparent...

Life is good!
Alex
:)

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #50,126 of 148,569
I just wonder when Schiit with start to use other Lovecraft names! (CTHULU (sic) is from Lovecraft - probably spelled wrong to avoid a TradeMark infringement)

Waiting for Nyarlathotep with Unison and Multibit. It’s a truly end-game (or end of reality) DAC/amp.

Iä iä Cthulhu fhtagn!

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #50,129 of 148,569
Can you link to that please? That's just not right...

[Edited for more subtlety, see orig in your email alerts]

Nah man, not worth stoking the fire any more. My comments seem to have brought out pitch fork nation, and while I thought it was worth a comment, it's not worth much more then that, to me.

Ironically (given his comment), I don't think he is allowed to.

+1

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #50,130 of 148,569
Nah man, not worth stoking the fire any more. My comments seem to have brought out pitch fork nation, and while I thought it was worth a comment, it's not worth much more then that, to me.
+1
Agree, think you dropped in when some usb nervosa was going on (ie already grumpy cleanup going on), and there's a funny story behind the nickname replacements... people added on to it by calling it yamby, gamby, bimbo... got too cringy. :D
I'm playing, being snarky, and enjoy your posts.

Big whoop on dislikes, I just got one, it's just feedback.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back