1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. quimbo
    I started developing professionally in 1981 at a large insurance company and we still used keypunch cards for our overrides. I went to school in early 1981, wrote out the code on paper, sent paper to the keypunch department so they can type in the cards and then submitted the deck. We got 1 compile a night, it took 5 days just to get the syntax errors out of the way. Had to type in our own corrections, pull out card 55, hit the dupe key 51 times, type in the correction, dupe key to the end, insert new card in deck.

Still anal about coding for performance though most improvements are no longer perceptible to the end user.

One of my 'happiest' days storage wise was discovering i had an 8 MB D: drive, 40 MB drives just came out and DOS only supported 32 MB partitions. I was absolutely giddy that I had 8 MB more

Reflect every day on how fortunate i was to choose this path almost 40 years ago, I still get to code every day and still enjoy learning new things and solving problems.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  2. GearMe
    Yes...but when the operator drops it on the floor, now there's a computer system crashing :scream:

Thank goodness for tape backups!

3. Robert Padgett
    In 1975, as an aspiring computer scientist, we were so excited that the computer center was getting a CRT terminal. It was made by Hazeltine, and reserved for graduate students, as we beginners were just learning to write FORTRAN with punch cards. BTW, Black and White film was still the only film we concerned with, the color was years away

ScubaMan2017 and GearMe like this.
  4. QueYo
    I just measured my OG Freya. The site says Bifrost 2 is 9" wide, which would put it just over the edge of my Freya even if it were touching the tubes. I assume the feet are in a bit from the edge, so you could place it there if your OCD is better than mine and you can handle it hanging off the edge a bit.

5. Allanmarcus
    Dumb Animated Clay. DAC.
    'Nuf siad :dt880smile:

6. Ripper2860
    Now you went and hurt his feelings ... :unamused:

Capture.JPG

33na3rd and RickB like this.
  7. Dana Reed
    Just timed it and the OG Freya takes about 50 seconds. I don’t like to leave it on all the time since it gets pretty hot and I’m not sure the LISST tubes will last forever (and no replacements available.)
    At least it sounds like the Freya S is selling well so should be around for a while

8. adydula
    Listening to Ray Charles and Natalie Cole, "Fever" via the Unison USB in my Bifrost "1". Amp in rotation this week is the Crack. In the past this has been a great pairing with Senn HD 600's and T1's but the T1's were not quite as good at the HD 600's IMO. Well with the new interface the T1's have really been awakened!

The perfromance is stellar...the bass is so solid and tight, just a wonderful musical presentation. I have been thinking of getting new headphones but with the changes I am hearing with the Unison, I wonder how much better can this really get!

The T1's are the 2nd geneartion. Had them about a year + now...they only wake up on certain amps for me, like the Mainline and Crack, and Vahalla 2.
    Other SS amps they are just ho-hum, good but ho-hum to me.

It looks like the benefits of the Unison interface works well across most amps here...with the above 3 , its more apparent...

Life is good!
    Alex
    :)

9. Varejao17

Waiting for Nyarlathotep with Unison and Multibit. It’s a truly end-game (or end of reality) DAC/amp.

Iä iä Cthulhu fhtagn!

10. Scott Kramer
    Can you link to that please? That's just not right...

[Edited for more subtlety, see orig in your email alerts]

11. QueYo
    Ironically (given his comment), I don't think he is allowed to.

audio philestine likes this.
  12. Rensek
    Nah man, not worth stoking the fire any more. My comments seem to have brought out pitch fork nation, and while I thought it was worth a comment, it's not worth much more then that, to me.

+1

13. Scott Kramer
    Agree, think you dropped in when some usb nervosa was going on (ie already grumpy cleanup going on), and there's a funny story behind the nickname replacements... people added on to it by calling it yamby, gamby, bimbo... got too cringy. :D
    I'm playing, being snarky, and enjoy your posts.

Big whoop on dislikes, I just got one, it's just feedback.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  14. porchwizard
    I still have a scar from a removable disk pack accident...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    GearMe likes this.
  15. CharlesC
    To those with the new Bifrost: How does the Unison USB handle inferior sources? I am running Roon on a NUC and the performance on my Gungnir Multibit is significantly worse using the NUC USB as a source compared to a Digione. I'd love to remove the Digione and the extra switch from my setup but the sound difference is just too great right now. I have high hopes for Unison though.