Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 14, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #43,861 of 150,453
Neither. Spritzer typically has a loop out on his amps. So it goes via XLR :: Yggy > BHSE > Rag

Feb 14, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #43,863 of 150,453
Sorry to hear of the Toad's passing. I truly enjoyed ORT's posts. His curmudgeonly attitude was always tempered with his wit and humor. To VU meters everywhere, ORT was your friend.
upload_2019-2-15_0-11-57.jpeg

For ORT

Feb 14, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #43,864 of 150,453
USB output on RPi is unfixable. However the GPIO pins could be used for the BWD output Mike mentioned on his blog.
USB on RPi3B+ works perfectly fine with the Eitr and should work with Schiit's USB5 in general.
If you use Ethernet restrict the port to 100M full duplex with auto-negotiation and flow control enabled by inserting the following into /etc/rc.local: ‘/sbin/ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg on’
Or use wireless.

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #43,865 of 150,453
At the end of July 2018.
He was very ill in his last weeks.
His systems giving up one after the other.

In his last email to me he asked me to send his regards to all until he got back.

Oh.. and his real name was Scott too.
I am saddened by this news. You could tell that he was a good soul.

A bandit dressed in boiled brown,
You’re caught invading my hometown,
Your back is flavored rocky road,
You stumble onward, bumbling toad.

The summer brought you from beyond,
And placed you in my placid pond,
You shamble on a slow breaststroke,
As if whatever’s okie-doke.

As you paddle sticky toes,
Out of the water lifts your nose,
And drinking just a sip of air,
You dip back in then swim elsewhere.

The summer taught you how to spell,
The language we all know so well,
Don’t leave your slimy heart too long,
You better sing your mating song.

The mud and muck are drowning in,
The pattern of your paisley skin,
Though lazy in the morning light,
You sing the chorus of the night.

The summer left you at her feet,
Caught in the middle of the street,
A roaring lorry blowing smoke,
You better hop before you croak!

-Bodhi Moria

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #43,866 of 150,453
So I've turned on my audio system today to spin some vinyls. Right channel is out. Looks like my power amp is toast. Started swapping cables to troubleshoot/isolate the issue and at some point forgot to turn everything off, proceeded to blow my left speaker. damn. Maybe it's time to buy some new schiit?

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #43,867 of 150,453
So I've turned on my audio system today to spin some vinyls. Right channel is out. Looks like my power amp is toast. Started swapping cables to troubleshoot/isolate the issue and at some point forgot to turn everything off, proceeded to blow my left speaker. damn. Maybe it's time to buy some new schiit?

Sorry to hear that Brother. The gods have spoken- Cupid wants better sound. :smirk_cat:

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #43,868 of 150,453
ORT was a 'fixture' no matter where he showed up.
And in retrospect his 'loss of faith' may have been the straw that initiated his exit from here.

He did have a unique 'take' on things and had a poise and demeanor that was unshakeable.
Which has left an indelible mark on us here, as in, 'gone but not forgotten…'

JJ

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #43,871 of 150,453
Tidal has bigger things to worry about, like stop losing money. Oh wait, everybody in the business has that same problem too.
Just signed up for 1 year of Qobuz Sublime+, and I'm using Roon's new "radio" feature that selects tracks from both one's library and from the streaming provider using a collaborative recommendation algorithm. I'm impressed. Starting with a track from a new Ralph Alessi ECM release that I had bought recently, the stream has wandered between my collection and Qobuz jazz in ways that have taught me about several modern jazz releases I did not know about (and I'm pretty much on top of new jazz releases). I want Qobuz to make money, this is too good to go to waste.

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #43,872 of 150,453
Just signed up for 1 year of Qobuz Sublime+, and I'm using Roon's new "radio" feature that selects tracks from both one's library and from the streaming provider using a collaborative recommendation algorithm. I'm impressed. Starting with a track from a new Ralph Alessi ECM release that I had bought recently, the stream has wandered between my collection and Qobuz jazz in ways that have taught me about several modern jazz releases I did not know about (and I'm pretty much on top of new jazz releases). I want Qobuz to make money, this is too good to go to waste.
You just love smarts :robot:
:L3000:

AKA UX AI

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #43,873 of 150,453
That was my understanding as well in reading some reviews, but if their new USB implementation is superior to optical, I wonder if the HAT would have a USB implementation that fixes the issues with the RPi implementation?

Just spitballing; I don't understand the underlying issues well enough to know whether that's possible.
GPIO pins don't have enough throughput for a full USB output. That's why nobody made a USB HAT for RPi before.

USB on RPi3B+ works perfectly fine with the Eitr and should work with Schiit's USB5 in general.
If you use Ethernet restrict the port to 100M full duplex with auto-negotiation and flow control enabled by inserting the following into /etc/rc.local: ‘/sbin/ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg on’
Or use wireless.

I thought so as well but going from a stock RPi to an Allo USBridge+iPower made a noticeable difference with my Gen5 Yggy (well, enough of a difference to not return the USBridge back to the store). Even my desktop pc sounded better than RPI

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #43,874 of 150,453
ORT was a 'fixture' no matter where he showed up.
And in retrospect his 'loss of faith' may have been the straw that initiated his exit from here.

He did have a unique 'take' on things and had a poise and demeanor that was unshakeable.
Which has left an indelible mark on us here, as in, 'gone but not forgotten…'

JJ
Loss of faith?

Feb 15, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #43,875 of 150,453
Yes, ORT was a christian believer (as in what jesus taught vs what religion teaches) and came to the realization that the bible was fallible and not what it is purported to be.
He lost his anchor, his stability in this world.

This shook him to his core.

JJ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back