1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. JohnnyCanuck
    That is sad news. I will miss his wit and his everlasting love of VU meters.

JC

2. SeaWo|f
  3. Yethal
    USB output on RPi is unfixable. However the GPIO pins could be used for the BWD output Mike mentioned on his blog.

4. wabe
    That was my understanding as well in reading some reviews, but if their new USB implementation is superior to optical, I wonder if the HAT would have a USB implementation that fixes the issues with the RPi implementation?

Just spitballing; I don't understand the underlying issues well enough to know whether that's possible.

5. golfbravobravo
    Any HAT takes the source from the GPIO pins on the Pi and the output achieved is far superior to USB. There would be little point in implementing a USB via HAT route, there are SPDIF, XLR etc HATs that are excellent!

I have the HIFi Berry and IqaudIO HATs and they are impressive.

Rensek, jmarcusg and the finisher like this.
  6. Robert Padgett

Great mindsmust think alike. When we heard about a Schiit Pi in the Darko interview, I was thinking that maybe Schiit would build a Pi/Digi-Plus network device that would match the Modi motif.

Rensek, jmarcusg and the finisher like this.
  7. rlow
    Very, very sad to hear about ORT. The guy had a way with words and a singular wit. He will be missed. Rest in peace.

Schiit have already said, no plans for a RPi device or Hat. Doesn’t mean things won’t change in the future, but the Schiit Pi is an internal processing engine only at this point (possibly just for development purposes, but not sure on that).

8. wabe
    So, no point in going back to USB once XLR/SPDIF is available. Thank you for clarifying.

Were you the one that cannibalized a Modi chassis to house an RPi streamer? If so, how did that end up working out?

golfbravobravo likes this.
  9. Robert Padgett
    Now that you mention it, I remember them saying that theircomputer genius was coming up with something "like" raspberry but for the complex DSP functions. We will all know when they tell us.

the finisher likes this.
  10. the finisher

The Gadget perhaps:)
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1573952852663332&id=141556939236271&refsrc=http://www.google.com/&_rdr

Also thinking this new Schiit pi I will be the tool for the next DSP upgrade for Yggy.

Then maybe we could install our own firmware updates, with an appropriate port added as not to need to open the chassis.

That and the new USB.

Just thinking maybe the new USB would be capable of doing this as well?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Rensek likes this.
  11. dieslemat
    Sad to hear about ORT. RIP.

12. hearditontheX
    Sorry to hear about ORT. May he RIP.

13. dieslemat

What switch do you use to choose between the mjolnir or the rag? Or one of them is connected via rca and the other is via xlr?

14. SeaWo|f
    Neither. Spritzer typically has a loop out on his amps. So it goes via XLR :: Yggy > BHSE > Rag

dieslemat likes this.
  15. BagelJoe
    Sorry to hear of the Toad's passing. I truly enjoyed ORT's posts. His curmudgeonly attitude was always tempered with his wit and humor. To VU meters everywhere, ORT was your friend.