Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #43,876 of 151,057
So I've turned on my audio system today to spin some vinyls. Right channel is out. Looks like my power amp is toast. Started swapping cables to troubleshoot/isolate the issue and at some point forgot to turn everything off, proceeded to blow my left speaker. damn. Maybe it's time to buy some new schiit?
That s a clear signal!

Feb 15, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #43,877 of 151,057
So I've turned on my audio system today to spin some vinyls. Right channel is out. Looks like my power amp is toast. Started swapping cables to troubleshoot/isolate the issue and at some point forgot to turn everything off, proceeded to blow my left speaker. damn. Maybe it's time to buy some new schiit?

Been there, done that. It does offer an ideal opportunity for some new Schiit, though.

:)

JC

Feb 15, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #43,879 of 151,057
Just signed up for 1 year of Qobuz Sublime+, and I'm using Roon's new "radio" feature that selects tracks from both one's library and from the streaming provider using a collaborative recommendation algorithm. I'm impressed. Starting with a track from a new Ralph Alessi ECM release that I had bought recently, the stream has wandered between my collection and Qobuz jazz in ways that have taught me about several modern jazz releases I did not know about (and I'm pretty much on top of new jazz releases). I want Qobuz to make money, this is too good to go to waste.
Just went to Qobuz's website again to see if I could get set up. Success!! :gs1000smile: Trying out their Studio level service option for free right now and I'm liking what I'm hearing!

Feb 15, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #43,880 of 151,057
Just signed up for 1 year of Qobuz Sublime+, and I'm using Roon's new "radio" feature that selects tracks from both one's library and from the streaming provider using a collaborative recommendation algorithm. I'm impressed. Starting with a track from a new Ralph Alessi ECM release that I had bought recently, the stream has wandered between my collection and Qobuz jazz in ways that have taught me about several modern jazz releases I did not know about (and I'm pretty much on top of new jazz releases). I want Qobuz to make money, this is too good to go to waste.
While Qobuz is not available where I am I've had exactly the same experience with TIDAL and the latest Roon radio. Not with jazz, though. I keep reading that people are exited about Qobuz and ditching TIDAL but I don't seem to see the reasons why Qobuz is better. What's better about it? Somewhere (probably Wikipedia) I saw a comparison of their libraries and TIDAL's library was bigger. Maybe this data is out of date now.

Feb 15, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #43,881 of 151,057
I signed up for the "Studio" free trial on Qobuz, and I could not hear a sufficient improvement--with my ears, my HPs and my set-up-- to justify staying around after the 30-free trial ends. Maybe it is the Amazon service is $8 and serves the same purpose--streaming background listening, and exposure to new artists, or qobuz didn't have a single Thomas Dolby file....

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #43,882 of 151,057
That is why I stuck with Spotify, they have so much folk/americana/rock well pretty much any genre that just isn't on the other services that if I changed half my regular listens would disappear.

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #43,883 of 151,057
Feb 15, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #43,884 of 151,057
I signed up for the "Studio" free trial on Qobuz, and I could not hear a sufficient improvement--with my ears, my HPs and my set-up-- to justify staying around after the 30-free trial ends. Maybe it is the Amazon service is $8 and serves the same purpose--streaming background listening, and exposure to new artists, or qobuz didn't have a single Thomas Dolby file....
There must be (huge) differences per country I guess. I get 13 albums on that artist. 2 singles/EP's, 24 various artists albums that contain tracks of the artist and 17 tracks where he's involved in as a musician and more. I also think this is not the kind of music that Qobuz aims for to be good at.

Screenshot - 15-2-2019 , 17_21_13.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #43,885 of 151,057
There must be (huge) difference per country I guess. I get 13 albums on that artist. 2 singles/EP's, 24 various artists albums that contain tracks of the artist and 17 tracks where he's involved in as a musician.

You are correct sir...today Thomas Dolby is there. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am still canceling after the free month trial, because I have Amazon and it is $8/month .

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #43,886 of 151,057
You are correct sir...today Thomas Dolby is there. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am still canceling after the free month trial, because I have Amazon and it is $8/month .
I would agree if you can't hear the difference between 256k and lossless or 24/96 streamed content, the premium probable isn't worth it. I used Apple music like you do Amazon, to check out new artists and as background music, but since I switched to Tidal hifi, I listen to it more critically. I guess it is a self fulfilling prophecy. If you purchase a service more suited to background and non-critical listening that is how you will use it.

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #43,887 of 151,057
That is why I stuck with Spotify, they have so much folk/americana/rock well pretty much any genre that just isn't on the other services that if I changed half my regular listens would disappear.

While I believe I can tell a difference in the sound, I can't justify giving up Spotify at this point time. Like you said they have a huge collection, plus their playlists and daily mixes are hard to do without. If I had time to sit down and put some playlists together, I might hang on to Qobuz for longer. I'll probably pay for a month or two to see if they improve their curated content.

The passing of ORT is sad news indeed... You could tell he was a good man. He is and shall be missed.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #43,888 of 151,057
After work I will check out Qobuz. Right now I have no streaming subscription outside of the basic Amazon Prime (so, not Unlimited). I do not think I would necessarily use this while at work, so I am not sure how much good it will do me. That being said, I do like their selection of digital albums for purchase, so I may dip into that.

Presently my system at work is a usb flash drive with about 50 GB of music on it. I pick an album to play through VLC on the computer which feeds a Fulla 2 which in turn powers etymotic HF5s. I will eventually get closed back headphones to use but for now I am enjoying the etymotics.

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #43,889 of 151,057
So, no point in going back to USB once XLR/SPDIF is available. Thank you for clarifying.

Were you the one that cannibalized a Modi chassis to house an RPi streamer? If so, how did that end up working out?

Well, the past tense is a little ambitious, but yes! It's not done yet, but it IS on the project list. I'm currently building a huge wonderstructs (https://wonderstructs.com/) installation. Those folks who claim to have done this in a weekend amaze me, my office electronics desk (and floor) is full of wood, sanding dust and bits of glue. After that is done I must finish the PiDP8 (http://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence/pidp-8) I have been on with for some months. And then there is the garage workshop......... Etc., etc as the king said.

Cheers

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #43,890 of 151,057
@Jason Stoddard, now that you folks have been playing around with the Pi, is there any thought about creating a HAT, similar to the IQAudio Pi-DAC or the Allo Digi-One so that we could build our own streamers? Something that cleans up the USB audio from the Pi and provides S/PDIF and/or BNC so that we could connect it to an external DAC?
...and a robust buffering feature. I get drop-outs between my Chromebook and my WiFi media-server (which is really just a couple of 3.0 USB external drives plugged into my Netgear Nighthawk... and I uses Netgear's meh-quality-media-server-software). When it gets too distracting, I end up using the download feature embedded within the ChromeOS-Android-versions of Foobar2000 and VLC. Schiit Audio provides the hardware, and we download the open-source software (that Schiit can be at arms' length from). @wabe 's device is actually one of the few gadgets that I need for my listening nook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back