Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #43,906 of 151,186
For me , paying 20.00 a month for qobuz versus what I use to spend a month on music is a drop in the bucket. All depends on the person/situation.

The way I view it, once your contract ends with a streaming service, it ends. You have nothing. Since I already own a lot of music, I sometimes don't use Tidal at all in a given month.

If I spend $200 on downloading digital files or buying CDs (and I can get A LOT of CDs on Ebay for $200), I keep those forever.

So, to me, streaming service is worth A LOT LESS than buying music outright. I just don't see the value proposition in $20/month for streaming.

Feb 15, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #43,908 of 151,186
... I just don't see the value proposition in $20/month for streaming.
I don't subscribe to a streaming service, I don't have time to listen to the music I already have, but 66 cents a day doesn't seem a lot to pay for 'unlimited' music. I spend more than that a day for less. :avocado:
YMMV.

edit: half avocado added, exempli gratia

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #43,910 of 151,186
No offence but as you said ORT shared his thoughts with you in private. Maybe it should remain in private still?
I understand what you mean and no offense taken.
And what I shared was my understanding of who and what he was, not what he shared with me.
And what I posted wasn't sent to me via PM, but is the result of his public activities over the years.

I wouldn't and haven't shared any personal info that we exchanged between us as that would be inappropriate, as you suggest.

JJ

Feb 16, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #43,911 of 151,186
I just don't see the value proposition in $20/month for streaming.

I think "value" is very much in the eye of the beholder, and changes from person to person and even within ourselves as we change.

For a guy like me, mid 30's with maybe 5 CD's bought in the last 15 years, I don't have a good enough of a collection built up to be satisfied adding a few new CD's a month for 20 bucks, or even less for 8-10 via Amazon and Spotify.

The value proposition of spending 8-20 dollars a month for access to thousands of albums, millions of tracks, a plethora of playlists and curated music is without compare in my humble point of view. Certainly better then spending 40-140 per month on cable or satellite TV. Netflix, Hulu, Spotify or Qobuz for under 40 altogether is hard to beat

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #43,912 of 151,186
[REDACTED], oh. [REDACTED[ where art thoiu....?
Cat%2B-%2BQuizzical%2Blook.jpg
4a4b013d3b329b4f37c3161caf01f209--excuse-me-funny-animals.jpg

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #43,913 of 151,186
Streaming.
- For every "CD" I now have choice to find the best mix (every CD issue of the same album may sound different). There a very bad and very good end mixes.
- I can listen to new (Hi-Res) remasters, to experience if it is worth the money, if there is any difference to the 16/44.1 file or not.
- I don't need to "own" the music, as my music taste changes over the years and masses of LP's and CD's stand untouched for years.
- The artist gets paid per play, not per sell. I think more honest to the artist if it is a fair amount of money. Music business is a very corrupt business.
- I have the complete music store at my home, to try, listen evaluate and discover in my own environment, at my own convenience on my own audio set
- Listened to a lot of music over the last years I would never had discovered, let alone bought because of the massive amount of music available
- Qobuz, Amazon, Tidal, Google music etc. Only time will tell if any will survive and how the music industry will deal with it.

The first argument is now after 2 years of membership probably the most important argument for me. Surprising how many bad CD's there are around even on the large labels. Channels inverted, over compressed, over expanded, terribly remixed, not the best master tape etc. etc.
The worst experience recently was the remaster in Hi-Res of the famous Oscar Peterson album "We get requests" . My most favourite track "You look to good to me" is totally ruined. Glad I didn't buy it.
Just my 2 cents.

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #43,914 of 151,186
Streaming.
- For every "CD" I now have choice to find the best mix (every CD issue of the same album may sound different). There a very bad and very good end mixes.
- I can listen to new (Hi-Res) remasters, to experience if it is worth the money, if there is any difference to the 16/44.1 file or not.
- I don't need to "own" the music, as my music taste changes over the years and masses of LP's and CD's stand untouched for years.
- The artist gets paid per play, not per sell. I think more honest to the artist if it is a fair amount of money. Music business is a very corrupt business.
- I have the complete music store at my home, to try, listen evaluate and discover in my own environment, at my own convenience on my own audio set
- Listened to a lot of music over the last years I would never had discovered, let alone bought because of the massive amount of music available
- Qobuz, Amazon, Tidal, Google music etc. Only time will tell if any will survive and how the music industry will deal with it.

The first argument is now after 2 years of membership probably the most important argument for me. Surprising how many bad CD's there are around even on the large labels. Channels inverted, over compressed, over expanded, terribly remixed, not the best master tape etc. etc.
The worst experience recently was the remaster in Hi-Res of the famous Oscar Peterson album "We get requests" . My most favourite track "You look to good to me" is totally ruined. Glad I didn't buy it.
Just my 2 cents.
I think we get software like Roon where you can play music bought directly from the artist in 24bit 48Khz (perhaps 96Khz but not really necessary imho). Key will be where the artist order the production/mix/master which is an art in itself and youtube will be good enough to check new music. Already now with the max 256kbs quality i can clearly hear the difference between productions

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #43,915 of 151,186
Streaming.

Just my 2 cents.
Listening to Oscar P trio on spotify on my iMac and sounds lovely that song. Not my daily bread and butter but nice! Thanks

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #43,916 of 151,186
For me , paying 20.00 a month for qobuz versus what I use to spend a month on music is a drop in the bucket. All depends on the person/situation.

The $20 a month I spend on TIDAL is the absolute best $20 I spend on anything all month. Its self-care value alone is astronomical, never mind the tangible value with having such a huge library at your disposal. I discover about half a dozen new artists and sounds every month. Who knew I adore Dominik Eulberg for example? The chances of me discovering him without a streaming service is negligible. With true wireless earbuds improving all the time, I'm close to living the dream -- my own personal soundtrack 24x7.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #43,918 of 151,186
Streaming.
--snip-- first argument is now after 2 years of membership probably the most important argument for me. Surprising how many bad CD's there are around even on the large labels. Channels inverted, over compressed, over expanded, terribly remixed, not the best master tape etc. etc.
Just my 2 cents.

Until you just mentioned it, I thought it was just me. Some files--both 16/44 Redbook CD quality--do sound different than other "pressings" and some are just plain bad-sounding. My biggest pet peeve is the really poorly executed "remastering" which starts with a marginal mix and makes it worse instead of better by upsampling it to 24-bit and adding zeros in empty places. I had one album--I think it was Janis Joplin-Pearl, three different versions, only an original 16/44 sounded good, both 24-bit versions I sampled sounded like she was in a pup tent with the microphones outside.

Feb 16, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #43,919 of 151,186
Streaming: If your internet connection goes down then all that’s left is to sit and listen to the tinnitus whistle in your ears.

TIDAL allows off-line downloads, to multiple devices even. My 128gb Essential PH-1 has several days worth of music on it, and I often use it as a FLAC source, even at home.

I'm pretty sure I bought only one CD last year: Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue "Unmastered", which sounds fantastic and isn't available on TIDAL. If I had unlimited funds I would buy a ton more CDs -- liner notes and album art are just fun. That's probably what I miss most about streaming.

Feb 16, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #43,920 of 151,186
Here is how it works for me:

Read about new music in Stereophile or TAS.

Go and listen on Spotify.

If I like what I hear, purchase the CD or vinyl on Amazon.

I'm old enough to remember doing basically the same thing when listening to radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back