1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Mr Rick
    I take back anything I may have said about cats. I just learned that cats were sacred to the Norse Goddess Freya.

2. EELawson
    Has anyone heard how the Friday night meets at The Schiiter are going?

Did the Aejir make it's debut last night like Jason said it might?

3. Mr Rick
    I believe formal meets are only on the first Friday of every month.

Rensek, EELawson and golfbravobravo like this.
  4. wabe
    To add to that, I don't believe the Aegir made its debut, but folks got to see what a production Sol will look like.

EELawson likes this.
  5. golfbravobravo
    Wow, that's rough :frowning2:

One of my concerns in moving to NC was that we had good internet, then we bought a house without even asking what was available there. Turns out to be OK, we have symmetrical gigabit fibre for about $100 per month with no data caps. Though I'm a little nervous what the pricing will be after the 12 month introductory.......

Cheers

6. golfbravobravo
    So, I'm getting back to the Freya saga (ha ha!). When I plugged it back in and put the tubes back (the Russian ones), I found that there was a lot of background noise, with horrible occasional pops and bangs when the system is on but not in use (I usually leave it on all the time). These happened at random times but fairly frequently It didn't happen before I tried to fry the Freya, so I have some questions:

* I see talk of two paired sets of two tubes (rather than 4 matched tubes) being important. Why so, are the tubes used in two pairs in Freya? If so, how are the pairs arranged left and right pairs or top and bottom pairs? What does each pair do?

* I'm back on the Tung Sol tubes that came with the Freya and the popping and banging has gone away, so it must have been due to the Russian tubes, so how should I decide to pair them? They have hand written notes on each tube, but it looks like foreign to me!

* What should my expectation be about the noise floor? If I stand by the speakers I can definitely hear a hum or hiss, especially from the tweeters.

Cheers

7. wabe
    This might be some help for your first question and provide some insight on the other two. From the manual:

Freya accommodates any 6SN7, 6N8S, or 5692 tube type. 6SL7, 6N9S, and equivalent types also work, but will have higher distortion and higher output impedance. The right tubes are for the differential voltage gain stage. The left tubes are for the cathode follower output stage. All tubes are of the same type on Freya.

CAPT Deadpool and golfbravobravo like this.
  8. Ableza
    What Russian tubes are you trying to use?

golfbravobravo likes this.
  9. liamo
    Would never have thought it where you are. Is a US Umlimited Verizon account possible there? My condolences.

10. golfbravobravo
    Thanks for that, I thought I'd checked the manual :frowning2:(

So any pointers to what those two phrases mean to a simple lad? I assume one is volume (the output stage?)?

11. golfbravobravo
    These are 1952 NOS 6N8S FOTON tubes - which are 6SN7 compatible.

Each has a hand-written note with e.g. JA1 = 10.6/S1=2.5 JA2 = 8.8 / S2=2.3

I am but a simple lad trying to make sense of these hieroglyphs!!

Cheers

Paladin79 likes this.
  12. wabe
    For that, I will defer to the more knowledgeable folks here - I am simply a purple belt in Google-fu and cut-and-paste.

13. Ableza
    They may be compatible but they are not the same. I've never heard a 6N8S that I liked. They were basically Soviet-era knock-offs of 6SN7's Some people might like them and I know Schiit offers them as an option.. but to me they always seem "bloated" (over-emphasized and distorted low end) and I just don't like them..

I recommend sticking with 6SN7s. I like Sylvania 6SN7GT's if you can find them for a reasonable cost.

14. Paladin79
    Those are well regarded tubes; several friends speak highly of them. Soon I will have one of the Russian 1578's (Melz) and if I like it, I hope to get several more. I also have a quad of vintage RCA"s on the way, it is always fun to try different tubes, provided they mate well with the amp.:)

golfbravobravo and the finisher like this.
  15. ScubaMan2017
    My suite's in a condo tower. The Warz-kitties (or what I call teenage hacker-wannabes) spew forth all kinds of WiFi (I got relief from turning off my 2.5GHz radio, and went all 5GHz). Rogers got a stranglehold on our building -- my neighbours WON'T pay for fibre optic upgrades. There's little incentive in my Condo-Corporation to fork out the cash and tolerate the disruption. It's bad. :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad: I got relief from abandoning ADSL modems (from Bell Canada) to cable modems (Rogers). We get hosed here in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Grumble grumble.