Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #43,338 of 150,564
Explain to me how an internet connection can see a billing address?

The comment is in if you get a Prop 65 notice or not. With the VPN, it could look like a person is in California when they are not, so someone who uses a VPN to appear in California will probably see the notice on the website. Alpov's point was more that if you make an order, the billing address you provide yourself will determine whether or not what you receive has the Prop 65 included.

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #43,339 of 150,564
only shown to California purchasers at checkout

Prop 65 stickers only go on boxes going to California, or paid for with a California card.

Explain to me how an internet connection can see a billing address?
@Pietro Cozzi Tinin, I can't explain your fantasies :wink: The way I understood Jason's statements (above) is that the warning is shown only after a customer enters the billing address. As discussed everywhere, even in this thread I think, IP geolocation is not reliable.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #43,341 of 150,564
Sorry to have caused any confusion. I incorrectly assumed that the Prop 65 warnings show for IPs shown to be associated with CA-based ISPs; apologies. Even with all the challenges, pros and cons - some sites do this. If it is solely based on shipping address and/or a combination of both - it is still an excellent implementation that could allay some potentially unwarranted fear and confusion for those that don't live in CA and/or don't fully understand Prop 65.

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #43,342 of 150,564
This discussion about what 'made in USA' really means has been fascinating. I know that new cars have a sticker that states the point of final assembly and also the % content of parts from suppliers in the US.

Another company that's known for its 'made in USA' approach is the clothing company American Giant. Their clothes are made from cotton grown in the US, spun into thread and made into fabric at US cotton gins and textile mills, and finally assembled at workshops/factories located in the US. I wonder if that fully qualifies as 'made in USA'?

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #43,343 of 150,564
Sorry to have caused any confusion. I incorrectly assumed that the Prop 65 warnings show for IPs shown to be associated with CA-based ISPs; apologies. Even with all the challenges, pros and cons - some sites do this. If it is solely based on shipping address and/or a combination of both - it is still an excellent implementation that could allay some potentially unwarranted fear and confusion for those that don't live in CA and/or don't fully understand Prop 65.
Do not apologize. No need at all.

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #43,344 of 150,564
Jan 24, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #43,345 of 150,564
Been doing some reading on power regenerators for audio equipment. Why isn't power regenerators popular among headphone users? Seems like something that can potentially benefit an amp and something Schiit can make at more reasonable prices?

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #43,347 of 150,564
That's probably a smart idea, I have avoided buying items in the past that have had prop 65 warnings on them, or thrown them away if I saw the warning after purchase. And this is way out in the US Midwest, far from California.
There is almost nothing that does not require a prop 65 warning. Just ignore it as lawmaking out of control.

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #43,348 of 150,564
Been doing some reading on power regenerators for audio equipment. Why isn't power regenerators popular among headphone users? Seems like something that can potentially benefit an amp and something Schiit can make at more reasonable prices?
Main reason is that "audiophile" power regenerators are giving very small benefits for a lot of money.

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #43,350 of 150,564
It’s been the same all along. It can be enforced on any manufacturer at any time.

The real problem is there is no clear definition, other than “entirely made of 100% US-sourced parts from US stock.” Ninety-nine percent isn’t enough to protect you. At that point, you need to prove—for every product, individually—that the non-US content is negligible and doesn’t impact the product’s function. Yeah, have fun with that. We’d have to hire a dozen people to keep track of it...and maybe be tied up with legal stuff for years about how a product’s chip resistors could be considered “not necessary to its function.” There are no US manufacturers of chip resistors.

There will be not one customer outside the US that gives a schiit.
Ah... I remember being 20-something & assisting Yves Veggie Cuisine get its Kosher, HACCP & ISO certifications. Tracking and sourcing this or that. Nope. Nope. Nope. I buy Schiit (and suffer the exchange rate, brokerage fees, and duties) for its value. And the customer service, eh. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back