1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. judson_w
    The comment is in if you get a Prop 65 notice or not. With the VPN, it could look like a person is in California when they are not, so someone who uses a VPN to appear in California will probably see the notice on the website. Alpov's point was more that if you make an order, the billing address you provide yourself will determine whether or not what you receive has the Prop 65 included.

2. alpovs
    @Pietro Cozzi Tinin, I can't explain your fantasies :wink: The way I understood Jason's statements (above) is that the warning is shown only after a customer enters the billing address. As discussed everywhere, even in this thread I think, IP geolocation is not reliable.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  3. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Ah, I didn't see Jason's explanation.
    I do understand VPN however.

4. ItsAllInMyHead
    Sorry to have caused any confusion. I incorrectly assumed that the Prop 65 warnings show for IPs shown to be associated with CA-based ISPs; apologies. Even with all the challenges, pros and cons - some sites do this. If it is solely based on shipping address and/or a combination of both - it is still an excellent implementation that could allay some potentially unwarranted fear and confusion for those that don't live in CA and/or don't fully understand Prop 65.

5. Odin412
    This discussion about what 'made in USA' really means has been fascinating. I know that new cars have a sticker that states the point of final assembly and also the % content of parts from suppliers in the US.

Another company that's known for its 'made in USA' approach is the clothing company American Giant. Their clothes are made from cotton grown in the US, spun into thread and made into fabric at US cotton gins and textile mills, and finally assembled at workshops/factories located in the US. I wonder if that fully qualifies as 'made in USA'?

6. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Do not apologize. No need at all.

ItsAllInMyHead likes this.
  7. Ableza
    Many of my company's products are so-labeled.

RCBinTN likes this.
  8. flargosa
    Been doing some reading on power regenerators for audio equipment. Why isn't power regenerators popular among headphone users? Seems like something that can potentially benefit an amp and something Schiit can make at more reasonable prices?

9. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    I think they are.

10. sam6550a
    There is almost nothing that does not require a prop 65 warning. Just ignore it as lawmaking out of control.

Rensek likes this.
  11. Ragnar-BY
    Main reason is that "audiophile" power regenerators are giving very small benefits for a lot of money.

12. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    I disagree.
    In a stack of high quality audio appareil it's an instant upgrade of SQ.

13. ScubaMan2017
    Ah... I remember being 20-something & assisting Yves Veggie Cuisine get its Kosher, HACCP & ISO certifications. Tracking and sourcing this or that. Nope. Nope. Nope. I buy Schiit (and suffer the exchange rate, brokerage fees, and duties) for its value. And the customer service, eh. :ksc75smile:

Rensek likes this.
  14. flargosa
    I think you can make that argument between amps and dacs of different price points. The difference between the Magni 3 and a more expensive amp is probably small, yet many go for the higher price option for a tiny sonic upgrade.

15. schiitfanboy69
    Very interesting thank you for sharing. As I see it there are two objectives for the FTC relating to the “made in USA” label:
    1. Protect American consumers from misleading advertisement. This one you covered thoroughly.
    2. Reward manufacturers that choose to keep their business within the United States. This obviously has the sub goal of preserving US manufacturing industries. The merit of such a goal is obviously beyond the scope of this discussion.

It seems that the FTC has focused on the first point at the expense of the second. Perhaps using this “assembled” as opposed to “made” designation is their answer but it could be argued that this reduces clarity hurting both consumers and industries. If products made by a company that goes to the lengths that schiit does are classified the same as a company that only does final assembly in the States then everyone loses.

It’s easy to simply blame the FTC for taking what appears to be the lazy approach, though they obviously have chosen a simple approach that doesn’t consider nuance. However we need to keep in mind the scope of their assignment (all US trade). If we analyze the schiit product line in a vacuum then yes it’s unrealistic to expect the raw materials and electrical subcomponents must be from the states to claim “Made in USA”. However it’s also unrealistic to expect the FTC to understand the intricacies of fabrication and supply chain management for every industry that may want to claim “Made in the USA”.

What this boils down to is the government wanting to help US consumers and producers but lacking the expertise to do so in the best possible way. Such a situation is quite common, hence the existence of organizations such as ASTM, ASME, IEEE, ANSI, etc. and their numerous subcommittees.

Perhaps the best solution to defining these onshore production claims is to lean on such organizations. This way, refocusing on audio components, there will be clearly defined categories and associated compliance requirements that are accepted to be reasonable for the industry. Just food for thought, obviously you guys are connected with the industry and probably have better insight as to whether such a committee or effort like what I’ve described exists.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019