Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 23, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #43,324 of 150,567
Holy moly.

Guys, here's the thing. Manufacturers can either:

1. Really really really make sure they comply with not only the spirit of the law but letter of the law of the FTC--and be prepared to prove it--continuously--if challenged.
2. Think that lightning will never strike, and continue using "Made in USA"--and perhaps jeopardize the future of their company and their employees.
3. Use safe terminology and sleep well at night, knowing their companies and employees are safe.

That's really about it. When things get really contentious, the FTC can step in and set additional rules, like the "% Domestic Content" on new car window stickers or the speaker amplifier ratings that came about after the rated power wars of the 1970s. Yes, all audio amplifiers above a handful of watts technically need to comply with FTC rules. See an interesting article about that here: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/ftc-consumer-audio
My thought is, what would put you on the FTC's radar about a "Made in USA" label? That job is too big to chase on their own. What would get their attention is if somebody files a complaint. So the real people to fear are competitors, enemies, and politicians who don't like you and could use the FTC as a weapon.

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #43,325 of 150,567
My thought is, what would put you on the FTC's radar about a "Made in USA" label? That job is too big to chase on their own. What would get their attention is if somebody files a complaint. So the real people to fear are competitors, enemies, and politicians who don't like you and could use the FTC as a weapon.

My understanding is anyone you piss off can bring forth a lawsuit that could draw in FTC action. Sell a bifrost multibit to john merica in texarkana. He sees made in America. He takes the lid off and sees a chip with markings on it, he researches said marking and finds its made in China. He gets pissed. Bam, lawsuit. Oh wait, a few more people hear about his lawsuit? Bam, class action suit. Eventually government fines on top of it.

Etc, etc. People do stuff all the time that other folks dont quite understand. To quote a favorite country tune of mine. "God is great, beer is good and people are crazy" (Not a religious statement)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #43,327 of 150,567
@Jason Stoddard - Great chapter. Thank you again. My Schiit is back "home" where I consider it to have been "made".

Welcome to the nightmare. Friendly reminder from a "Bob", but not in your field - you may consider putting your Prop 65 notices on the website. If I overlooked them, apologies. Start boning up on conflict minerals - the 3Ts and G, and see if it may apply to you / your suppliers. I'll bring you a fine bottle of Scotch to sooth the headache you will soon develop.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #43,328 of 150,567
@Jason Stoddard - Great chapter. Thank you again. My Schiit is back "home" where I consider it to have been "made".

Welcome to the nightmare. Friendly reminder from a "Bob", but not in your field - you may consider putting your Prop 65 notices on the website. If I overlooked them, apologies. Start boning up on conflict minerals - the 3Ts and G, and see if it may apply to you / your suppliers. I'll bring you a fine bottle of Scotch to sooth the headache you will soon develop.

I deal with conflict mineral statements and ROHS almost daily and Balvenie would be a welcome antidote. I once looked for cable connectors made in the US and other than some compression F connectors made in Georgia they are few and far between. Such is life, we do not manufacture in the US like we once did.

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #43,330 of 150,567

Prop 65 warning is on the site...but only shown to California purchasers at checkout, since those are the only people it applies to. Same with packaging—Prop 65 stickers only go on boxes going to California, or paid for with a California card.

A little bit of complication saves confusion for everyone who doesn’t live here in this state...we’re all used to seeing Prop 65 warnings in coffeehouses and breweries, and on pretty much everything we buy...hell, they are on power cords. Nobody in California pays much attention to them.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 24, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #43,331 of 150,567

Prop 65 warning is on the site...but only shown to California purchasers, since those are the only people it applies to. Same with packaging—Prop 65 stickers only go on boxes going to California, or paid for with a California card. A little bit of complication saves confusion for everyone who doesn’t live here in this state.

That's probably a smart idea, I have avoided buying items in the past that have had prop 65 warnings on them, or thrown them away if I saw the warning after purchase. And this is way out in the US Midwest, far from California.

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #43,332 of 150,567

Prop 65 warning is on the site...but only shown to California purchasers, since those are the only people it applies to. Same with packaging—Prop 65 stickers only go on boxes going to California, or paid for with a California card. A little bit of complication saves confusion for everyone who doesn’t live here in this state.
Excellent implementation. Thank you for the clarification. That'll teach me to use a VPN.

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #43,333 of 150,567
Any chance of a page with all ads and logo's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back