Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 15, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #42,361 of 149,294
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. What is the first Schiit dac that handles greater than 16 bit?
If you think about dynamic range, extra bits kept beyond 16 are rapidly diminishing returns. Gungnir multibit keeps 19 bits, Yggdrasil 21. Nothing beyond that is real signal, and it's below the lowest attainable noise level on the analog side anyway.

Dec 15, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #42,362 of 149,294
small correction
... , earlier versions used rounding. All Schiit multibit DACs upsample to a multiple of 44.1 or 48 using Schiit's proprietary 32 bit "burrito" filter, ..
It could be, thanks, I don't have time now to go dig through all those discussions. But I believe current versions dither.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #42,363 of 149,294
If you think about dynamic range, extra bits kept beyond 16 are rapidly diminishing returns. Gungnir multibit keeps 19 bits, Yggdrasil 21. Nothing beyond that is real signal, and it's below the lowest attainable noise level on the analog side anyway.
Yeah, I knew no analog component could actually pull off 24 bit. So basically the 2 top of the line models would be where I would land. Hmm.

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #42,364 of 149,294
Bit depth and sample rate are separate issues. Modi MB uses a 16 bit DAC chip, so if you feed it 24 bit samples, the low-order 8 bits are dropped. I believe the current version of Modi MB uses dithering to do this, earlier versions used truncation. As for sample rates above 44.1, all Schiit multibit DACs upsample to a multiple of 44.1 or 48 using Schiit's proprietary "burrito" filter, and send that upsampled version to the DAC chip. I believe the Modi MB upsamples 44.1 multiples to 176.4, and multiples of 48 to 192. So, if you have a 24/192 track, there's no upsampling, and a bit depth reduction from 24 to 16. If you have a 24/88.2 track, you'll get a bit depth reduction to 16 bit, and a 2x upsampling to 176.4. Does this make sense?

Would I be right to assume that with 24/176.4 material there's no further upsampling either?

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #42,365 of 149,294
Would I be right to assume that with 24/176.4 material there's no further upsampling either?
Yes, for Modi and Bifrost multibits.
For Gungnir MB and Yggdrasil the "megaburrito" filter converts 44.1/48 files to 352.8/384, so 24/176.4 would be upped to 24/352.8

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #42,366 of 149,294
I know what a Futurist is.....and I suspect you are as bad at that as you are with the people here. How did someone put it? Passive aggressive? You are certainly that along with being pretentious and sometimes condescending with your prose. But hey, you keep it up.
Really, Mr. Winders is that all you have?
Ad hominem attacks, indeed.
I think you might be gazing at your mirror.
And how is this related to Schiit or Schiit Audio?
"Pretentious and condescending" --In this forum, it would appear to be endemic, but never quite as acute as in your writings.
Indeed, please elucidate us all with your qualifications to act in the judgment of others.
Pompous and arrogant would be my judgment of you, and your retort will no doubt buttress my argument.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #42,367 of 149,294
As I recall the patent went back and forth and some of it was political. The Germans were ramping up prior to WW 1 and were able to use some of the concepts to set off munitions from long distance. I believe Marconi was blamed for some of this after WW 1. Eventually Marconi got the patent back, and then it went back to Tesla. Marconi struck me as someone who used concepts from the scientific community and experimented till he got something usable. Tesla had a greater understanding of the science behind what he was doing.

I did have classes in tube theory but that which is used develops, and that which is not used wastes away. My work with RCA started with solid state but they were still making a few hybrid tv's at the time but those were developed by others with a longer history with tubes.
Marconi's big claim to fame is that he took a technology and developed it into a commercial product that produced revenue.

Dec 15, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #42,368 of 149,294
Marconi's big claim to fame is that he took a technology and developed it into a commercial product that produced revenue.

I have seen him called an engineer but I always thought of him as more of an experimenter but I could be wrong. He did indeed make a commercial product.

Dec 15, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #42,369 of 149,294
I have a Freya arriving today and I have a Modi 3, Mimby, Fulla 2, and Mimby "with firmware V2" that I plan to compare via my Jotenhiem and my EL-8s. I will try to let you all know what differences I hear but I don't have a golden ear or a golden tongue (fingers in this case); so I can't promise any major revelations for y'all.

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #42,371 of 149,294
Seems like we have winder for winders :)
Ah the joys of having selected people on ignore. I am very happy to not know what you are talking about.

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #42,372 of 149,294
I have a Freya arriving today and I have a Modi 3, Mimby, Fulla 2, and Mimby "with firmware V2" that I plan to compare via my Jotenhiem and my EL-8s. I will try to let you all know what differences I hear but I don't have a golden ear or a golden tongue (fingers in this case); so I can't promise any major revelations for y'all.
You certainly have every right to your opinion about equipment and a lot of boils down to what you like. You are starting to accumulate a pretty good assortment of product including tube amps.

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #42,373 of 149,294

I love my Freya, but have a key piece of advice before you listen.

6H7C tubes DO NOT work very well :). Unless you like white smoke.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #42,374 of 149,294
I have a Freya arriving today...

If you don’t require balanced connections, Saga is the better sounding preamp. It’s obviously cheaper and uses less tubes too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back