Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 14, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #42,332 of 150,720
Very useful info indeed! There are people on Ebay asking $12.95 per pdf. I prefer paper for reference materials but sometimes you have to take what you can get.
Yeah I would prefer paper as well.
And in high school I hauled a RCA tube manual (RC-25) around trying to absorb it's secrets, mostly by osmosis, because there wasn't anyone teaching tube related info.

But some of these manuals in this collection are from the 30's and 40's and I doubt I would EVER be able to hold one of them in my hands, at least an original.

And having such a wide range of manufacturer's data has come in handy upon occasion.

JJ

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #42,333 of 150,720
There is a very good book entitled Thunderstruck by Erik Larson that details a lot of early work done by Marconi, naturally Tesla is mentioned as well. It has been said that when Tesla first learned about the use of radio transmission, he immediately realized that video and audio could be sent from place to place. I have heard it asked, "who 100 years ago could have predicted television and cell phones?" Nikola Tesla

The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine. (N.T.)
A few years back the claim that Marconi invented 'radio' was revoked and it was attributed back to Tesla who in the 1880's had a wireless, radio controlled model boat.
In those days that must have been quite a sight to see the boat changing direction, all remotely.

JJ

Dec 14, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #42,334 of 150,720
A few years back the claim that Marconi invented 'radio' was revoked and it was attributed back to Tesla who in the 1880's had a wireless, radio controlled model boat.
In those days that must have been quite a sight to see the boat changing direction, all remotely.

JJ

As I recall the patent went back and forth and some of it was political. The Germans were ramping up prior to WW 1 and were able to use some of the concepts to set off munitions from long distance. I believe Marconi was blamed for some of this after WW 1. Eventually Marconi got the patent back, and then it went back to Tesla. Marconi struck me as someone who used concepts from the scientific community and experimented till he got something usable. Tesla had a greater understanding of the science behind what he was doing.

I did have classes in tube theory but that which is used develops, and that which is not used wastes away. My work with RCA started with solid state but they were still making a few hybrid tv's at the time but those were developed by others with a longer history with tubes.

Dec 14, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #42,335 of 150,720
Tesla had a greater understanding of the science behind what he was doing.

I recall reading that Tesla would see a design in his mind, set it to paper, and then build a working device. He literally pulled it in from the Ethers.

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #42,336 of 150,720
I recall reading that Tesla would see a design in his mind, set it to paper, and then build a working device. He literally pulled it in from the Ethers.
Many great inspirations come in this manner. As an amatuer"futurist" I find the ideas which we think are so profound, may have been drawn out by a visionary, but never pursued. I have experienced such in the past. Some where around here I have a drawing I did back in 1995 of a portable vid screen wireless streaming of movies, with a two part hinged screen which 1/2 acted as keyboard, and the other the screen, but it could also be a single screen with rounded edges so the two halves were seamless to watch videos. Of course, I did nothing with it...

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #42,338 of 150,720
Amatuer futurist?

All of us are dreamers man. Especially after a glass of whiskey.
Well, I enjoy reading about alternative futures, like I enjoy reading about conspiracy theories.
Entertainment, and No, I am not claiming any supernatural visions of the future, we are ALL dreamers.
Tesla was a real "time-traveler" in his ideas.

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #42,339 of 150,720
Some where around here I have a drawing I did back in 1995 of a portable vid screen wireless streaming of movies, with a two part hinged screen which 1/2 acted as keyboard, and the other the screen, but it could also be a single screen with rounded edges so the two halves were seamless to watch videos. Of course, I did nothing with it...

I saw concepts like this floating around Apple Computer in the late 80’s or very early 90’s.

Dec 14, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #42,340 of 150,720
I saw concepts like this floating around Apple Computer in the late ’80s or very early ’90s.
I had a layover in London, awaiting an afternoon flight. I met a real Futurist, who was moving from Holland to Austrailia...an interesting way to spend a few hours.
I am involved in transit planning as a member of a citizen advisory group, and we are looking to 2050 and beyond, I told them that a mag-lev monorail would be like the space needle in Seattle...needless to say, I didn't mention the full implementation from the late 2090s

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #42,341 of 150,720
I had a layover in London, awaiting an afternoon flight. I met a real Futurist, who was moving from Holland to Austrailia...an interesting way to spend a few hours.
I am involved in transit planning as a member of a citizen advisory group, and we are looking to 2050 and beyond, I told them that a mag-lev monorail would be like the space needle in Seattle...needless to say, I didn't mention the full implementation from the late 2090s

What does any of that have to do with what I wrote stating that you were not the first person to think of "portable vid screen wireless streaming of movies"???????????????????

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #42,342 of 150,720
What does any of that have to do with what I wrote stating that you were not the first person to think of "portable vid screen wireless streaming of movies"???????????????????
Absolutely nothing to do with Headphones, Headphone amps, or Head-Fi, nor did I make any claims to having a discovery of anything.
I think the context was in relation to the planning for the future, and by implication that I was suggesting that mag-lev monorails might be built by the end of this century--nothing more or less intended.
And by the way, Congratulations for having seen some prototype way back when. That is an interesting observation. Now, hopefully along those same lines, what other things have you seen in the very early stages, and was old news when the consumer version was released?
That would be interesting to hear about. (Oh, I think you must have held down the "?" where one would suffice)

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #42,343 of 150,720
Absolutely nothing to do with Headphones, Headphone amps, or Head-Fi, nor did I make any claims to having a discovery of anything.
I think the context was in relation to the planning for the future, and by implication that I was suggesting that mag-lev monorails might be built by the end of this century--nothing more or less intended.
And by the way, Congratulations for having seen some prototype way back when. That is an interesting observation. Now, hopefully along those same lines, what other things have you seen in the very early stages, and was old news when the consumer version was released?
That would be interesting to hear about. (Oh, I think you must have held down the "?" where one would suffice)

Since you are a Futurist, go ahead and tell me what my answer is.

Dec 14, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #42,345 of 150,720
Since you are a Futurist, go ahead and tell me what my answer is.
Oh you silly goose, that is a psychic.
An amateur futurist reads science fiction and other sources for clues of planned futures.
This isn't that complicated.
If I were psychic, I would bet heavy, on the stock market plunge and would be re-buying stocks at the depressed price.
So, because you saw plans for a wireless tablet back in 1980s-90s, you find it necessary to continue this exchange.
Are you bored, just curious about your own future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back