Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 15, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #42,376 of 150,788
I have a Freya arriving today and I have a Modi 3, Mimby, Fulla 2, and Mimby "with firmware V2" that I plan to compare via my Jotenhiem and my EL-8s. I will try to let you all know what differences I hear but I don't have a golden ear or a golden tongue (fingers in this case); so I can't promise any major revelations for y'all.
So two Mimby’s? I’d loveto hear what you think of the difference between them (and perhaps their s/n’s...).

Dec 15, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #42,377 of 150,788
I love my Freya, but have a key piece of advice before you listen.

6H7C tubes DO NOT work very well :). Unless you like white smoke.
Unfortunate that two incompatible tubes have id's that are so easily confused. Poor choices by the original tube namers. Also happens in other areas. US electronic studio flash manufacturers thought it would be nifty to use AC plugs to hook flash tubes to power packs. Speaker banana plugs also fit some European wall AC outlets. Ouch.

Wonder how many electronics have been fouled up due to the wrong tube designation?

Dec 15, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #42,378 of 150,788
6B60A22C-973D-42A1-B0BD-2C9CAFCF56A4.jpeg
84CF6B54-1B53-421C-B19A-6405BDC008D6.jpeg
So re the Freya. Im almost finished with building two Nelson Pass designed Burning Amp-3 balanced class A monoblocks. If you want sticker shock go look up how much his amps sell for. He is a very generous man to share so much of his time and designs with the DIY community. I can NOT afford a comparible power level Pass Labs amp to the BA-3s monoblocks retail or even used.

I need to feed the BA-3s a balanced signal and a remote for volume was also a requirement (which eliminated using my Jotunheim). I have Rca connectors that I could have used in the BA-3s but I decided I’d never use them.

The newer Mimby I’m in temporary custody of for purposes of comparisonand saving someone excessive shipping before they return CONUS.

The Modi 3 is a b-stock gift Im giving to a friend with a Vali Mini coaster amp I built. I figured it would be ok to test it before putting it in the mail; especially as some people have even said Modi 3 is better than Mimby. Im skeptical but hey you never know. Also might get one for my car. I tried Mimby in my car but that experiment failed 20 minutes in when the cheap Chinese 300watt inverter failed.

The Fulla 2 is a used one I got for building a DIY portable amp/DAC. I’ve been working on so many projects since my coaster builds and I haven’t finished a few.

Yes I’m so crazy (like my namesake) that my first DIY audio build (Ive built quiet a few PCs and completes lots of RPi projects) was the coaster. The good news is after that SMD fun most other projects are much easier.

Of course now I need a balanced DAC . I was able to fund many of my recent DIY supplies and Schiit purchases by selling a PC I built good while back.

Thanks again @Jason Stoddard for the great products and especially the coaster amp project. I now have a great hobby that combines technical skills and my love of music.

Alsothe Freya has not yet been delvered.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #42,379 of 150,788
Dec 15, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #42,380 of 150,788
So re the Freya. Im almost finished with building two Nelson Pass designed Burning Amp-3 balanced class A monoblocks. If you want sticker shock go look up how much his amps sell for. He is a very generous man to share so much of his time and designs with the DIY community. I can NOT afford a comparible power level Pass Labs amp to the BA-3s monoblocks retail or even used.

Very cool, looks good!

The Modi 3 is a b-stock gift Im giving to a friend with a Vali Mini coaster amp I built. I figured it would be ok to test it before putting it in the mail; especially as some people have even said Modi 3 is better than Mimby. Im skeptical but hey you never know. Also might get one for my car. I tried Mimby in my car but that experiment failed 20 minutes in when the cheap Chinese 300watt inverter failed.

I'm loving the Modi 3, very impressive.

Of course now I need a balanced DAC . I was able to fund many of my recent DIY supplies and Schiit purchases by selling a PC I built good while back.

I used a Rpi with HiFi Berry balanced output with my Freya. Whislt I like the sound, it isn't very elegant and having used the HFB SPDIF adapter into the Modi as a temporary solution, I like that form factor much better. I think I'll try that into the Freya when it returns from its anti-smoking treatment. PM me if you'd like to try the HFB Balanced HAT - I think it may be surplus to requirements........

Thanks again @Jason Stoddard for the great products and especially the coaster amp project. I now have a great hobby that combines technical skills and my love of music.

Alsothe Freya has not yet been delvered.[/QUOTE]

:frowning2:( Deliveries here are a shambles after 4" snow a week ago......... You'd think it was California........

Cheers

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #42,381 of 150,788

I need to feed the BA-3s a balanced signal and a remote for volume was also a requirement (which eliminated using my Jotunheim). I have Rca connectors that I could have used in the BA-3s but I decided I’d never use them.

The newer Mimby I’m in temporary custody of for purposes of comparisonand saving someone excessive shipping before they return CONUS.

The Fulla 2 is a used one I got for building a DIY portable amp/DAC. I’ve been working on so many projects since my coaster builds and I haven’t finished a few.

Yes I’m so crazy (like my namesake) that my first DIY audio build (Ive built quiet a few PCs and completes lots of RPi projects) was the coaster. The good news is after that SMD fun most other projects are much easier.

Amps look great @CAPT Deadpool ! Are these speaker amps? They look compact for a Nelson Pass design.

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #42,382 of 150,788
Amps look great @CAPT Deadpool ! Are these speaker amps? They look compact for a Nelson Pass design.
Yes. Those are 5U tall. The caps inthe middle are 18,000uf each. They weigh ALOT!

Link to the Chassis:

https://diyaudiostore.com/collectio...ltimate-amplifier-chassis?variant=12212123204

Link to Nelson's introduction to the BA-3 Balanced:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/201281-burning-amp-ba-3b-balanced.html

Below is the Wattage to distortion curve for the amp. The version I'm building would be the bottom/rightmost/blue line.

203 bba3 damp.gif

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #42,383 of 150,788
Dec 15, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #42,385 of 150,788
The output devices?
They are mounted, hanging off the bottom of the PCBs on the heatsinks, 6 mosfets a side.
AHHA! Silly me. I saw what looked like heat sink compound spaced suspiciously appropriately above the PCB on the right and thought that was prep for MOSFETs. :)

Dec 15, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #42,386 of 150,788
Dec 15, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #42,387 of 150,788

Bruh, you're gonna take the grid down with that thing! :astonished:

Dec 16, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #42,388 of 150,788
Nice work there Capt'n DP, that should be a room heater for sure with Class A SQ to amaze and delight.

So to continue the 'show-N-tell', my ground pounding, earthquake triggering 1.5w/ch tube HP amp project continues.

Here is the latest iteration of the BIG eyerrrrnnn amp.
IMG_2115.jpg

Sharp eyes will notice the 2) 9v batteries, lack of vol control pots, input xfrms, the lack of LED's, and the 2 more power supply caps.
These caps bring the total up to 1 farad in the power supply.

Also off to the right in the background are the 2 line voltage xfmrs stacked on top of each other, the one on top (the step down from 120 to 115Vac) has 2" wide rubber bands holding the box with the duplex receptacle for the JggyB and the ROK amp to use this same lowered mains voltage.
These xfmrs are lowering and stabilizing the line voltage that feeds the BIG eyerrrrnnn amp and act as a sort of voltage regulator, since there are none being used anywhere in this amp.
The additional load that the JggyB and the Rok amp add, helps load these line voltage xfmrs, since this BIG amp only draws ≈ 0.4 amps.

IMG_2100.jpg

Right now I'm fussing with the output caps to see what amount of capacitance is 'optimal' for these parafeed output xfmrs.

And the GT (glass tube) versions of the 6J5's I have on hand definitely sound better than the metal can versions of the 6J5, which are my development/expendable set.
And I haven't begun using the 45's built in 1938 which this amp is being built for.

Overall the SQ keeps ramping up as further refinements are added and CP's (Choke Points) are resolved.
The bass and mids are most impressive as well as the top end, which has unsuspected resolution and focus and finesse.

JJ

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #42,389 of 150,788
Ah the joys of having selected people on ignore. I am very happy to not know what you are talking about.
+1.

===== edited later on that night ========

So, I discovered that a tonmeister is an actual occupation! That led to McGill University that has a program for such musically-inclined, (uber?) sound engineers. That led me to the ICA website. That led me to the 2013 proceedings that compared headphones and loudspeakers (during recording sessions).
Oh. My. God. Here I am, a happy Schiit... and now I'm delving into the weeds! DAMN YOU... MODI, MULTIBIT, MAGNI, LOKI.

Me gusta (I like it). :ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back