Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #149,281 of 150,608
We had a pretty cool looking storm a couple of years back with all sorts of amazing clouds. It was coming up to sunset, hence the intense red.
1 x From the drone and 2 x from the garden

XQYR9060.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_8775.JPG
That's a sunset for the books! 😻

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #149,282 of 150,608
Elgar’s movement of an unfinished piano concerto:

IMG_9479.jpeg

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #149,283 of 150,608
Anyone with even just a cursory understanding of how TCP/IP works knows that that's all just a pile of marketing manure. Packages are packages, and if one gets lost along the way, the TCP/IP stack will take note and request for it to be resent.
I generally agree with what you're saying except for the above. Many (really, most?) audio transports over IP don't use TCP because of latency issues, UDP ftw!
No retransmission of UDP packages [sic] (I think you meant packets).

I don't think the audiophile switches will make much difference there, a better streamer would.

Now, iirc, @earnmyturns found that upgrading the network switch did make a difference but not to one of the audiophile ones.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #149,284 of 150,608
I have a big ol' soft spot for this weirdo album. The first time I saw Primus they played The Desaturating Seven in its entirety and I thought it was just a hell of a good time.

IMG_7195.jpeg

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #149,285 of 150,608
I'd say that the mag's title says all you need to know:
"Computers, programmed for entertainment"

You're just jealous, it's not your fault that North Americans are such prudes… 😁

(I did a quick check and yes, this is a real magazine cover that actually got released. Non-ironically. Small circulation, but still: What the actual frick! 😳)
Clearly, I learned programming on the wrong continent. Mulligan?

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #149,286 of 150,608
Apr 25, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #149,288 of 150,608
I generally agree with what you're saying except for the above. Many (really, most?) audio transports over IP don't use TCP because of latency issues, UDP ftw!

I don't think the audiophile switches will make much difference there, a better streamer would.

Now, iirc, @earnmyturns found that upgrading the network switch did make a difference but not to one of the audiophile ones.
I’m not aware of a single streaming or audio protocol that uses UDP.
If you know a few, please let me know. I’m curious.

Edit:
Ok, there are apparently quite a lot of them. You learn something new every day.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #149,289 of 150,608
I’m not aware of a single streaming or audio protocol that uses UDP.
If you know a few, please let me know. I’m curious.
I'm most familiar with audio streaming over the internet as a whole (WebRTC, for example).
However, taking AirPlay as an example.
The control protocol is over TCP (HTTP, even!) using RTSP.

The actual audio data is sent via RTP which, wikipedia says,
RTP typically runs over User Datagram Protocol (UDP)

Many, many systems use RTP this way. AES67, Dante, ...

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #149,290 of 150,608
Crazy pricing for such a small amount. AG silver (Argentum), PB lead (plumbum), SN tin (stannum).
Last time I bought the Kester (in 2020) it was $4 for a .35 ounce tube. This Radio Shack branded stuff is a full ounce, so yeah more expensive, but with inflation probably not to an extreme. But it also makes the Cardas less expensive at ~$10.75/ounce, and when was the last time you saw anything with a Cardas label on it less expensive? 🤣 🤣 .

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #149,291 of 150,608

Even Jay (a YTber that reviews ultra high end stuff) don't see the value with the switches, audiophile ethernet cables and advises everyone that it's the least important part in the system. As for me, I'm perfectly happy with my Macbook Pro on battery as my "headless" streamer providing perfect digital sound to Yggy+ MIB via USB Unison

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #149,292 of 150,608
Apr 25, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #149,293 of 150,608
Apr 25, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #149,294 of 150,608
Last time I bought the Kester (in 2020) it was $4 for a .35 ounce tube. This Radio Shack branded stuff is a full ounce, so yeah more expensive, but with inflation probably not to an extreme. But it also makes the Cardas less expensive at ~$10.75/ounce, and when was the last time you saw anything with a Cardas label on it less expensive? 🤣 🤣 .
Very true. I have several large rolls of silver content solder but it is larger gauge and being one lb and five lb rolls it has to be pricey now. As you know the smaller gauge is best for tube pins so I keep multiple sizes.

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #149,295 of 150,608
I'm most familiar with audio streaming over the internet as a whole (WebRTC, for example).
However, taking AirPlay as an example.
The control protocol is over TCP (HTTP, even!) using RTSP.

The actual audio data is sent via RTP which, wikipedia says,

Many, many systems use RTP this way. AES67, Dante, ...
RTP and SRTP run at OSI layer 6 (session) usually over UDP. In the case of AirPlay, the overhead of TCP (layer 3 packets guaranteed to arrive in order, controlled by ACK and NACK responses) is acceptable because it only works on the local network (ie: it's not routable). Dante *is* routable but very sensitive to network latency; live performance should be 1ms or less.

Layer 2 switches have no idea what the F%^&^ is going on here .....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back