Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 17, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #22,098 of 150,704
I was looking for galvanic USB isolation for other reasons (scope probing of USB-power devices) and found the Silanna ICEUSB series has parts that are USB2 compatible. The HifiMeDIY USB2 isolator uses such a part.
This thread over at EEvblog talks about it.

But they don't provide the same isolation as a transformer does.

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #22,100 of 150,704
Currently using AES from the SU-1 for the Yggy. I wonder if the SPDIF on the Eitr somehow sounds better for the Yggy.

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #22,101 of 150,704
I guess Jason and Co. changed their stand on black trim.

I don't think Jason and Co. has changed their stand on black trim. I'm pretty sure they only offer it when they have an original that has a blemish but can still be finished in black. You'll see Yggdrasil offered in black finish every once in a while as an option.

Not an option in black finish at this time.:triportsad: Perhaps in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #22,102 of 150,704
You guys, really? I placed my order, double Vidar with a side of Eitr at 9:35 AM California time (12:35 EDT) I missed it going live by a few minutes because I really was in the shiitr. It's after 5 PM here and nothing! Geez living here is like living in Canada! :beyersmile::beerchug: Doesn't matter I guess as it will come by stagecoach. So I'll go suffer through some tunes via a gen 3 board, and listen for Ableza's artifacts!

My guess is none of the Eitr shipped today. Mine didn't ship yet and I ordered around noon PDT. So your Vidar's are probably waiting for Eitr to ship.

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #22,103 of 150,704
Usually the problem with isolation is that it doesn't come for free as distortion, jitter, delay and latency are there to get you: https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/which-digital-isolators-for-i2s-or-not/

But I guess Gen5 would be well worth a shot, awaiting a Gen5 Mimby now please
zest.gif

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #22,105 of 150,704
Currently using AES from the SU-1 for the Yggy. I wonder if the SPDIF on the Eitr somehow sounds better for the Yggy.

Mike Moffat has said the AES is the best performing input for the Yggy! I would guess that your Singxer SU-1 DDC AES input would be a much better input than the Coax on the Yggy. I use a Hydra Z DDC for the same purpose for my mine. What I like about the Hydra Z is that it can be powered by 5 VDC by a separate source instead of requiring the 5 volts from the 'puter's USB cable.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #22,106 of 150,704
Would there be any reason you wouldn't want to use a Y cable out of the Eitr to connect it to two DACs? Also, is there possibly going to be a USB Gen5 card available for Jotunheim? Or a Jot that accepts digital coax in? Since the DAC portion of the Jotunheim is bus powered, I imagine no.

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #22,107 of 150,704
Since my Audeze EL-8s are being repaired/replaced, I have all the time in the world to wait for my Bimby to get upgraded. Not wanting my Mimby to feel left out, I got an Eitr too. Curse you mister Stoddard and your clever marketing! *shakes fist* :smile_phones:

Forgive the noob question, but will the quality of the RCA cable make any difference coming from Eitr? I'm assuming just any old RCA cable will work for the coax out.
Without igniting a cable debate, you want to use a 75 ohm rated cable, not some rca's left over from mom's old VCR.:beerchug:

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #22,109 of 150,704
Go look around for impressions "elsewhere". It's been said that it performs as well as the Ares when compared on Gumby and Yggy. That's pretty damn impressive as the Ares beat out the Mutecs, Singxers, etc.

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #22,110 of 150,704
Marketing reply: Yes it does! It's 103X better and makes the hairs on your arms stand up with glee!
Scientific reply: Define "better".
Audiophile reply: No, because it adds a component! (and/or) Yes, because it's Gen 5! (and/or) I must wait for a trusted reviewer to say and then I'll tell you.
My reply: It might. It might not. Try one and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back