Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 17, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #22,129 of 150,783
Just like you describe flaky issues between your USB keyboard and Surface Pro, the Schiit USB Gen 2 interface (on both my Jot & Bimby) has problems with my iMac and MacBook Pro (two computers as common as the Surface Pro). Regardless of every troubleshooting step and USB gizmo I've tried (including the Wyrd), the DAC periodically disconnects for a brief second or two. I've used many other DACs with these computers, none of which have this problem and all of which use a different USB receiver chip, so I've been suspecting the Schiit's CM6631A implementation to be at fault.

This isn't a Mac/PC thing. We use MacBooks for every show we do--zero problems with connecting to any of our CM6631A interfaces. I use a MacBook Pro (cloaca edition) at the office, and have no problems. I have used MacBook Pros since the titanium days, and both Dave and Mike use Macs, so we're well-acquainted with them, and the CM6631A is not a problem. Also, statistically, we have tens of thousands of Mac users with no problems at all.

However, this doesn't solve your issue, so what could it be? Sometimes computer USB ports soft-fail, especially when computers get old. Sometimes system settings get wonky. Sometimes cables are bad. And sometimes it may just be a weird software/hardware interaction that just doesn't make sense, like my Surface Pro keyboard. Or it could be on the DAC side. If you'd like us to have a look at your DACs, just contact tech@schiit.com and we can see if that's the problem.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 17, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #22,130 of 150,783
This isn't a Mac/PC thing. We use MacBooks for every show we do--zero problems with connecting to any of our CM6631A interfaces. I use a MacBook Pro (cloaca edition) at the office, and have no problems. I have used MacBook Pros since the titanium days, and both Dave and Mike use Macs, so we're well-acquainted with them, and the CM6631A is not a problem. Also, statistically, we have tens of thousands of Mac users with no problems at all.

However, this doesn't solve your issue, so what could it be? Sometimes computer USB ports soft-fail, especially when computers get old. Sometimes system settings get wonky. Sometimes cables are bad. And sometimes it may just be a weird software/hardware interaction that just doesn't make sense, like my Surface Pro keyboard. Or it could be on the DAC side. If you'd like us to have a look at your DACs, just contact tech@schiit.com and we can see if that's the problem.

With regards to the MacBook Pro, Mike Moffat suggested that I connect my Yggdrasil via the computers 3.5mm optical output. Can you tell me if the Gen 5 upgrade sounds better than using the optical out?

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #22,131 of 150,783
Added myself to the upgrade queue. Now the wait. +2 years warranty is pretty nice.

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #22,132 of 150,783
With regards to the MacBook Pro, Mike Moffat suggested that I connect my Yggdrasil via the computers 3.5mm optical output. Can you tell me if the Gen 5 upgrade sounds better than using the optical out?
I can answer that. Most likely without a doubt it will be better as optical generally has higher jitter with Macs being the worst offenders.

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #22,133 of 150,783
I've been eagerly awaiting this since hints of the Eitr were first shared, and I was super excited to read the accouncement... until I read that you're still using the CM6631A. Please allow me to explain.

Just like you describe flaky issues between your USB keyboard and Surface Pro, the Schiit USB Gen 2 interface (on both my Jot & Bimby) has problems with my iMac and MacBook Pro (two computers as common as the Surface Pro). Regardless of every troubleshooting step and USB gizmo I've tried (including the Wyrd), the DAC periodically disconnects for a brief second or two. I've used many other DACs with these computers, none of which have this problem and all of which use a different USB receiver chip, so I've been suspecting the Schiit's CM6631A implementation to be at fault.
snip
Just as a suggestion.
Have you cleaned your USB cable connections at both the cable and laptop ends?

Just a little bit of crud (a technical term) can really mess with connection reliability.
I'd suggest using Caig DeOxit gold wipes
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2406/.f?sc=2&category=292

Just a thought.

JJ

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #22,136 of 150,783
Skipping Gen 4 reminds me of Leisure Suit Larry skipping the 4th sequel and going straight to Leisure Suit Larry 5

Maybe it's tetraphobia?

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #22,137 of 150,783
So... I suppose a pair of black Vidars would need a black Freya to match... but there is none.

Schiit only does black finishes when they have enough enclosures that will not work out for the brushed aluminum finish. Then they powder coat those. If you really want a black Freya (or other Schiit) you will have to wait for that to happen.

Black Vidar!
GJGALFD.jpg

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #22,138 of 150,783
Schiit only does black finishes when they have enough enclosures that will not work out for the brushed aluminum finish. Then they powder coat those. If you really want a black Freya (or other Schiit) you will have to wait for that to happen.

Black Vidar!
GJGALFD.jpg

Looks good in black!!!

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #22,140 of 150,783
I've been thinking about downsizing from my Yggy and maybe getting a Gumby as a replacement. As someone who listens to music 100% through USB, I wonder how much Gumby w/ Gen5 USB closes the gap from Yggy w/ Gen3 USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back