Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 17, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #22,111 of 149,248
I'm wondering what's the minimum clearance needed when placing two Vidars side by side.

As far as I can tell, the manual only states "Ensure there's plenty of space to each side...", but how much is "plenty"?

In the pictures @ Schiit website, it looks like they are around 2 inches apart. Would that be enough?

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #22,112 of 149,248
If there is plenty of ventilation and they're set in an open area like on audio rack and not in a shelf or cut out, you should be fine.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #22,113 of 149,248
So... I suppose a pair of black Vidars would need a black Freya to match... but there is none.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #22,114 of 149,248
So... I suppose a pair of black Vidars would need a black Freya to match... but there is none.

Why? I considered ordering black Vidar amps instead pf silver. They would look great on the bottom shelf of my rack below my silver Yggdrasil...

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #22,115 of 149,248
To anyone who might know: If ordering a silver Vidar, will it look like photo on webpage? Black heatsinks and silver cover? I'm assuming ordering a black one would net an all black Vidar, but would like to confirm before ordering. I emailed Schiit but imagine I've missed them as it's after 6:00 Pacific time.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #22,116 of 149,248
Luckily, there’s a common interface that is actually specified with electromagnetic and electrostatic isolation built in (unlike USB).

Ethernet.
I have always thought that Ethernet should be great for audio, or for anything actually. Most of equipment that used to be interfaced via USB (or RS232 in the old days) has now moved to Ethernet and that greatly improved the reliability of data transmission.

But does it mean that Eitr is basically equivalent to one of these USB Extenders Over Ethernet Cable? Except the output is S/PDIF.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #22,117 of 149,248
Why? I considered ordering black Vidar amps instead pf silver. They would look great on the bottom shelf of my rack below my silver Yggdrasil...

Just in case someone wants an all black combination.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #22,118 of 149,248
Jason
I'm wondering what's the minimum clearance needed when placing two Vidars side by side.

As far as I can tell, the manual only states "Ensure there's plenty of space to each side...", but how much is "plenty"?

In the pictures @ Schiit website, it looks like they are around 2 inches apart. Would that be enough?
You would think so since it's so open. Jason is confident of the microprocessor control, shutdown and reset. If it's too close/enclosed and shuts down give them a little more breathing room. He mentions home theater so I have a feeling that would be a lot more confined than an open rack and has planned accordingly.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #22,121 of 149,248
Eagerly awaiting the DIY Gen 5 install availability for my Gungnir MB

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #22,122 of 149,248
I've been eagerly awaiting this since hints of the Eitr were first shared, and I was super excited to read the accouncement... until I read that you're still using the CM6631A. Please allow me to explain.

Just like you describe flaky issues between your USB keyboard and Surface Pro, the Schiit USB Gen 2 interface (on both my Jot & Bimby) has problems with my iMac and MacBook Pro (two computers as common as the Surface Pro). Regardless of every troubleshooting step and USB gizmo I've tried (including the Wyrd), the DAC periodically disconnects for a brief second or two. I've used many other DACs with these computers, none of which have this problem and all of which use a different USB receiver chip, so I've been suspecting the Schiit's CM6631A implementation to be at fault.

Do you think the changes will fix these type of issues, despite using the same USB receiver?

Sorry to rant on this issue; I love Schiit's products, except the blasted USB interface - and I was really hoping these new Schiit products would fix it.

So, we put together a prototype using transformer isolation. This one was like the opto prototypes in that it had:
  1. Complete isolation of the USB power supplies (self-powered USB interface, requires no power from the computer.)
  2. Complete isolation of the USB ground (grounds are not shared)
  3. A total re-work of the USB interface, based on the CM6631A
  4. ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back