Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 3, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #21,573 of 149,399
Okay, so remember when I said, "I know I'll regret posting this," about the Vidar?

Yeah.

So here goes: when the assembly house said they'd have boards "Friday," I took it to mean "this Friday, as in, the 30th." What they meant was "this coming Friday, as in, the 7th." Which means we're looking at next week for shipping. Not a giant deal, though, since we would have been hamstrung by boxes and box inserts to ship. Now, it looks like everything is lining up for next week.*

*With the usual caveats, of course.

Believe me, nobody wants to ship these damn things more than me.

Such an improbable situation :wink:

Maybe some picture to make it up :D

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #21,574 of 149,399
Thanks, I'm assuming the heat would be too much. Maybe I'll just put the Jot on a stand somewhere else.

Do I have to pull out the headphone cable every time I want to use my speakers?
No, but you might have to turn of your speakers when you listen to your headphones, it depends on your neighbours really :)

Edit: sorry I missed the post above awnsering your question. Refresh before you crash!
I`ll make up by elaborating.
All the outputs: balanced out/single ended out/headphone out and headphone balanced out are all active all the time.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #21,575 of 149,399
I'm looking to buy two Vidars with a Freya and Yggy balanced . Aries AES into the Yggy , so 100 % balanced .

I'm a mongoloid mono dummy ( never used monoblocks)so is the speaker cabling the same , + and - for each mono block ?

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #21,576 of 149,399
As I noted in an earlier post on different comparisons, with my equipment (here Bimby>Joty or Saga, and Senn 650 headphones) I find the Joty SE output disappointing, the balanced ouputs bring it 'up to snuff'. For me that would make it problematic feeding Vidar. (To be sure, I have not used the Joty as a preamp for speakers, this is all headphone use, high gain for the Senn 650)

Then I saw Winder's comment about putting the Saga in front of the Joty. That sounds strange to me, but Ok, try it: Saga using the tube buffer, stock tube.
Wow, it does make a difference! Now the Joty SE out sounds very similar to the balanced out.

Do note that both outputs from the Saga are live when it is on. If you use it directly to drive speakers and the Joty, you will have to unplug the speaker cables (or find another way to turn the volume off) when using the Joty.

For what it's worth. But now I suppose I really should compare the set up driving speakers...Thank goodness it's a holiday, more or less. NF

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #21,577 of 149,399
I want to use the Saga to control volume for the Vidar and Jotunheim, would I just turn the Jotunheim's volume to the max and use the Saga's to control it?
I would use a splitter to send the output of the DAC to both Saga and Jotunheim. The topic was discussed previously in this thread. Cozzi is doing something like this and apparently works well. EDIT: oops, I guess you want to use a single volume control for both.

Jot sounds much better with a Saga feeding it!!
Why would that be? That's like saying don't connect Jot directly to a DAC – instead insert an extra box into the signal.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #21,578 of 149,399
I would use a splitter to send the output of the DAC to both Saga and Jotunheim. The topic was discussed previously in this thread. Cozzi is doing something like this and apparently works well.

Why would that be? That's like saying don't connect Jot directly to a DAC – instead insert an extra box into the signal.

For the excellent splitter:
https://emotiva.com/products/accessories/xbal-1x2
But it's balanced only so not for Saga.

I'm very sure feeding the Jot with the Saga makes some difference in sound.
I highly doubt it will be better though.
But some people believe everything even if they make it up themselves.

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #21,579 of 149,399
My advise (based on nothing but subject liking while testing) would be the second combination with the Mjolnir 2.

I like this as well, but, it may require buusing it one or two pieces at a time. Which is OK, though not as satisfying.

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #21,580 of 149,399
That's a tough call. I'd love to struggle with that decision.

Personally, I'm chasing your first option. I'm currently running a Jot/BifrostMB and strongly considering a Saga and Vidar for a new 2-channel set. Aside from Jot, everything I've ever had is SE and I prefer (at least for the time being) the aesthetics of the small-chassis rigs.

Also, this option leave more to spend on speakers and headphones.

This may be the way that I go if I have to buy a couple pieces at a time; as I commented on Cozzi's response. But go Jot/GMB now and then get the Freya/Vidar. Then when my money clip recovers I'll trade up the Jot for the Mjolnr 2.

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #21,581 of 149,399
Does Saga feeding Joty improve the sound from Joty? I posted above regarding headphones.
Now for 2 channel (speakers). System notes
source, usb> bimby > preamps > Forte model 1a class a power amp> Thiel 3.5 speakers
1. Joty as preamp, se out: This is OK, better than joty se out driving my headphones
2. Saga as preamp (tube buffer): I really like this, it is my normal 2 channel set up in this system.
3. Saga > Joty: this is a step up from option 1. To determine how it compares with Saga alone would take more time, a thorough listen involving a couple of hours to be comfortably settled in with the sound from each. I am not up for that at the moment.

Yes, I know it sounds strange that Saga feeding Joty would improve its sound. I doubted that when I saw the post by Winders. Nonetheless to my ears it makes a significant improvement for the se output. If you have both, don’t just speculate, try it.

For what it’s worth NF

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #21,583 of 149,399
Obsolete magazine will have to explain to their readership why a $699 power amp (or 2 as monoblocks) sounds as good as something that runs 10x or more that price. Good luck with that, dead tree writers!

No they won't. They will say what they always do. "It sounds very good but lacks that extra special magic only the house priced amps have". It's been a fact that hearing the difference between well designed power amps has been almost impossible for a long time. Audio writers don't do controlled testing so they are free to used their bias of the day to filter their listening through. It is also probably true that a lot of extremely expensive amps aren't very well designed. I firmly believe that a lot of differences reviewers hear in ultra expensive gear is not because it performs better but because it performs worse but in a way they like the sound of. In my opinion, any time one of these amp guru's talks about "voicing" an amp like it's a musical instrument he is either pandering to the writers or just full of beans.

BTW I am running a Chromecast audio into a Modi Multi and I find nothing wrong with the sound. On great recordings, it sounds fantastic. The fact that someone found jitter on the Toslink output says nothing about how it will perform with connected equipment. Jitter rejection is a design goal in D/A converters and some handle it better than others. Some aren't bothered by it at all. Heck, it didn't sound bad run directly into the Saga either.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #21,584 of 149,399
If it weighs less than a linebacker, costs less than a house and has less bling than a hooker in Vegas, then the obsolete magazine won't give it its due.

I enjoy reading it but I have no illusions about their impartiality.

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #21,585 of 149,399
... I enjoy reading it but I have no illusions about their impartiality.

I get it, iPad annual subscription is cheap, but when I get to reviews of $20,000 preamps, or similarly valued objects, I just go to the next thing as there is nothing they can say about such things that has meaning to me and I've read it all before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back