Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 3, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #21,556 of 150,971
Wow, you must have a big listening room, "seat to the speakers (mine are 50')"

I sit about 8' from the speakers set between 6' and 8' apart. Gear is in a room that is not the listening room - that's what remotes are for! But no line of sight, so that's why I don't care about the case colour, for instance. Or meters. Or where the power switch is. But anyway, speaker cables drop about 6' from cabinet through floor into basement, snake about 25' through basement support beams, back up another 6' to far side of listening room, then from back wall to the speakers about another 6'. Leave a little slack here and there for moving things around, and you've got 50'. In my case I run bi-amped, so I need two pairs of 50' speaker cables. And yeah, I play loud sometimes - my speakers drop down to below 2 ohms at certain frequencies, and my power amp occasionally experiences thermal shutdown.

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #21,557 of 150,971
I sit about 8' from the speakers set between 6' and 8' apart. Gear is in a room that is not the listening room....
Ah, I see.
So it's seat to speakers ~ 8', gear to speakers ~ 50'. :bulb:

I guess if you don't want your amps in the listening room you don't really have much choice as to which cables are the long ones.
As long as it pleases you that's all that really matters.

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #21,558 of 150,971
I sit about 8' from the speakers set between 6' and 8' apart. Gear is in a room that is not the listening room snip
In my case I run bi-amped, so I need two pairs of 50' speaker cables. snip.
There are distinct advantages to not having the gear in the active listening environment.
But in some cases the implementation of this type of setup can result in additional complexity (longer cables etc.), so there are trade offs…

This is one aspect to headphone's that is distinctly in it's favor, we aren't trying to acoustically excite the entire room.

JJ

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #21,559 of 150,971
Definitely true.

The original question was regarding the choice of long speaker cables with short interconnects, vs short speaker cables with long interconnects. The latter is preferable, and it is the practice of the music industry (along with balanced interconnects).

Yes, in studios they have (mono block) power amps close to the speakers, and long interconnects, but always balanced.

Jul 3, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #21,560 of 150,971
This is one aspect to headphone's that is distinctly in it's favor, we aren't trying to acoustically excite the entire room.

JJ

My listening room likes getting excited by good music, gets the whole house rocking! :sunglasses:

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #21,561 of 150,971
Okay, so remember when I said, "I know I'll regret posting this," about the Vidar?

Yeah.

So here goes: when the assembly house said they'd have boards "Friday," I took it to mean "this Friday, as in, the 30th." What they meant was "this coming Friday, as in, the 7th." Which means we're looking at next week for shipping. Not a giant deal, though, since we would have been hamstrung by boxes and box inserts to ship. Now, it looks like everything is lining up for next week.*

*With the usual caveats, of course.

Believe me, nobody wants to ship these damn things more than me.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 3, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #21,562 of 150,971
One more week after all these months is no big deal, at least everything else seems to be ok.

So I'm thinking about grabbing a Saga and Vidar for my desk, in addition to buying maybe a Jotunheim. Is it safe to stack a Jotunheim on top of the Vidar? And if I want to use the Saga to control volume for the Vidar and Jotunheim, would I just turn the Jotunheim's volume to the max and use the Saga's to control it?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #21,563 of 150,971
Okay, so remember when I said, "I know I'll regret posting this," about the Vidar?

... when the assembly house said they'd have boards "Friday," ...

Yes ... I guess we've all been caught out by that one before ... more than once !! ...

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #21,565 of 150,971
One more week after all these months is no big deal, at least everything else seems to be ok.

So I'm thinking about grabbing a Saga and Vidar for my desk, in addition to buying maybe a Jotunheim and a Bifrost Multibit. But the way my desk is set means that I'd have to stack Bifrost and Saga in the center and Jotun on top of Vidar on the far end. Is it safe to stack a Jotunheim on top of the Vidar? And if I want to use the Saga to control volume for the Vidar and Jotunheim, would I just turn the Jotunheim's volume to the max and use the Saga's to control it?
I asked the same thing earlier...and yeah...but no.
Don`t stack was the verdict indeed.

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #21,566 of 150,971

So I'm thinking about grabbing a Saga and Vidar for my desk, in addition to buying maybe a Jotunheim and a Bifrost Multibit. But the way my desk is set means that I'd have to stack Bifrost and Saga in the center and Jotun on top of Vidar on the far end. Is it safe to stack a Jotunheim on top of the Vidar? And if I want to use the Saga to control volume for the Vidar and Jotunheim, would I just turn the Jotunheim's volume to the max and use the Saga's to control it?
If you get a Jotunheim, you really do not need a Saga, unless you cannot live without a remote volume control.

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #21,567 of 150,971
I asked the same thing earlier...and yeah...but no.
Don`t stack was the verdict indeed.

Thanks, I'm assuming the heat would be too much. Maybe I'll just put the Jot on a stand somewhere else.

If you get a Jotunheim, you really do not need a Saga, unless you cannot live without a remote volume control.

Do I have to pull out the headphone cable every time I want to use my speakers?

Jul 3, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #21,568 of 150,971

Yeah.

So here goes: when the assembly house said they'd have boards "Friday," I took it to mean "this Friday, as in, the 30th." What they meant was "this coming Friday, as in, the 7th." Which means we're looking at next week for shipping. Not a giant deal, though, since we would have been hamstrung by boxes and box inserts to ship. Now, it looks like everything is lining up for next week.*

Not to worry, take it that the Norse gods are lining everything up for the triple flush!

Jul 3, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #21,569 of 150,971

Jot sounds much better with a Saga feeding it!!

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #21,570 of 150,971

Yeah.

Love the update. Hope you are not actually getting grief about this. Everyone should be stoked that this excellent product is just about there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back