Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 2, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #21,541 of 151,008
I have always felt it makes more sense the other way around. You're pushing millivolts around at line level (preamp max output 2v - if you're pushing 2v into anything down the line Stuff Blows Up Real Good). You're pushing a huge voltage swing into your speakers. Assuming a 35' run from your seat to the speakers (mine are 50'), the loss due to resistance is going to affect millivolt signals a lot more than multivolt ones. I've always preferred short interconnects (a bunch of mine are less than 2' long) and a long cable run.
I'm not so sure about that logic. Where it really matters (concerts and recording studios), they will run long distances of balanced interconnects, not so much with speaker cables. For the short distances in a listening room, it probably won't make a difference either way you choose to do it.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #21,542 of 151,008
I have always felt it makes more sense the other way around. You're pushing millivolts around at line level (preamp max output 2v - if you're pushing 2v into anything down the line Stuff Blows Up Real Good). You're pushing a huge voltage swing into your speakers. Assuming a 35' run from your seat to the speakers (mine are 50'), the loss due to resistance is going to affect millivolt signals a lot more than multivolt ones. I've always preferred short interconnects (a bunch of mine are less than 2' long) and a long cable run.
With pain in my heart I have to admit that Winders is absolutely right about this.

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #21,543 of 151,008
Interesting reading on this subject at Bryston's web site under "Support"-FAQ, speaker cable length, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #21,544 of 151,008

Wow, you must have a big listening room, "seat to the speakers (mine are 50')"

Bear in mind that your preamp < 2 Volt signal is probably driving a power amp input impedance > 10 kOhm while your power amp might be trying to drive a loudspeaker load of < 2 Ohm then rework the effects of cabling (?)

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #21,546 of 151,008
I hope the gentlepeople at Schiit don't forget to work on the other projects too.
Since I have a disgusting, over-active and extremely dumb nephew named Vidar, I will not jinx my system with amps bearing the same name.
So please don't forget Eitr & MP

You do realize that you have used your real name and the Internet never forgets anything, don't you?

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #21,547 of 151,008
Interesting reading on this subject at Bryston's web site under "Support"-FAQ, speaker cable length, etc.
That's what I was expecting, based on what they do in the professional music industry.
tl;dr: Bryston recommends speaker cables as short as possible; and long interconnects are okay.
http://bryston.com/pages/faq.html

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #21,548 of 151,008
You do realize that you have used your real name and the Internet never forgets anything, don't you?
Absolutely no problem at all with that.
There's no need for me to hide.
My nephew and his parents will never find this site.
And if they do...... I'll have a lot less to explain.

Jul 2, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #21,549 of 151,008
I hope the gentlepeople at Schiit don't forget to work on the other projects too.
Since I have a disgusting, over-active and extremely dumb nephew named Vidar, I will not jinx my system with amps bearing the same name.
So please don't forget Eitr & MP

But wouldn't two Vidars jinx the jinx and make it ok?

Jul 2, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #21,550 of 151,008
You are pushing a large POWER swing into the speakers, not a huge voltage swing.

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #21,554 of 151,008
That's what I was expecting, based on what they do in the professional music industry.
tl;dr: Bryston recommends speaker cables as short as possible; and long interconnects are okay.
http://bryston.com/pages/faq.html

In case of balanced interconnects, sure. Single ended, not so sure you want to have long interconnects. Note that Bryston recommends balanced in case of long interconnects.

Jul 3, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #21,555 of 151,008
In case of balanced interconnects, sure. Single ended, not so sure you want to have long interconnects. Note that Bryston recommends balanced in case of long interconnects.
Definitely true.

The original question was regarding the choice of long speaker cables with short interconnects, vs short speaker cables with long interconnects. The latter is preferable, and it is the practice of the music industry (along with balanced interconnects).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back