Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 11, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #18,766 of 149,399
I love Blue Jeans' Taversoe RCA connectors, they don't feel like you're going to snap the circuit board in half when plugging them in.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #18,767 of 149,399
+1 to Blue Jeans, just placed another order for XLR interconnects.  I had been using *redacted* before and they were twice as expensive and sounded like Schiit.  Blue Jeans have a very musical or natural sound to them.  Everything just seems to sit right in place.  The other cable pushed everything further away from you, which was cool, but squashed the sound stage, had less bass, and harsh highs.  

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #18,770 of 149,399
  +1 to Blue Jeans, just placed another order for XLR interconnects.  I had been using *redacted* before and they were twice as expensive and sounded like Schiit.  Blue Jeans have a very musical or natural sound to them.  Everything just seems to sit right in place.  The other cable pushed everything further away from you, which was cool, but squashed the sound stage, had less bass, and harsh highs.  

Helpful hint: I always use cables that reach from one piece of gear to the next. Anything less leads to a serious degradation in sound quality.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #18,771 of 149,399

Meanwhile, I just jumped on a black Mimby for giggles.

I just did the same. I'd been wanting to grab a Mimby for awhile, and once I saw the black was available I jumped on it. I'll use it with my vintage Sansui AU-717 integrated amp in my 2-channel system, so the black should pair well. My Modi 2U/Magni 2U will be posted in the For Sale section soon.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #18,772 of 149,399
Just upped my Schiit count by one. I bought a new black bimbo, uh, bimbi, uh, shoot. That just sounds so wrong…. Anyway, it will show up in a few days. I'm away on vacation, so no listen until much later.

Congratulations!

Do you have any current Schiit that you'll be directly comparing to the Bifrost?

I have a Modi2 Uber but am tempted by the whole multibit thing. I'm just trying to decide how much $ to save up!

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #18,773 of 149,399
This.

The Discussion of HT Pass through was debated and addressed back when the Freya was released.   It will be debated and questioned but Schiit seems to keep a Minimalist approach from what I can tell, It falls into the Power switch up front category.Sure it could be done but at what cost dollars wise and SQ wise. Although I have though since the freya has come out, the Extensive use of relays for input and output switching and volume control a relay controlled power switch would be pretty slick as relays use relatively low current for the trigger but again at what cost. Oh well I am enjoying the freya in my 2 channel rig. Nothing comes close to it in that price bracket and there may be very few that do even in the higher price bracket.

I agree schiit is totally within its rights to never implement HT passthru and that they have to do what makes sense for their business. I don't agree it falls into the "power switch up front" category. It is a real barrier to ownership for those with non enthusiast family members who don't have the space for a dedicated 2-channel system. My speaker system doubles as a HT and television setup.

I edited out the SYS criticism - didn't think it through.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #18,774 of 149,399
I think the answer is I need to build a dedicated 2-channel room in the basement.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #18,776 of 149,399

The Discussion of HT Pass through was debated and addressed back when the Freya was released.   It will be debated and questioned but Schiit seems to keep a Minimalist approach from what I can tell, It falls into the Power switch up front category.Sure it could be done but at what cost dollars wise and SQ wise. 

Of course Schiit can do whatever they please but they eventually caved on the whole remote thing. This actually reminds me of the whole debate over schiit not giving the Ragnarok a remote.  Something about how complex it would be and how it would affect sq.  But now the next Raggy will have a remote.  

I'm not in the market for a pre anymore as I have a few in house that I am trying out at the moment but I fail to see how leaving one input as a unity gain or ht bypass would "complicate" the circuit or harm sq.  "Bypass" means just that, it bypasses the volume control, so that seems like less circuitry for at least one input anyway.  Now doing something like Wyred4Sound does with the STP SE where the user can select which input is a HT Bypass definitely complicates the circuit but I don't think anyone is asking for anything like that.    

I think they will eventually offer it.  Schiit says no to alot of things, but some of the things are like the aforementioned remote control and some things are like DSD and MQA compatibility.  HT Bypass seems like it falls into the former category of "things schiit will never do".  But also, folks who really need a HT Bypass (like myself) kind of have to let it go until they decide to offer it (if ever).

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #18,780 of 149,399
I doubt there will be a Rag 2. Just like there won't be a yggy 2.

Really?  I agree on the yggy.  Since it's upgrade-able, any revisions will most likely come in the form of an "upgrade"...

But with the Rag, it seems to me that we might expect the aforementioned remote, Jotty's pivot-point and/or Vidar topology with a power bump, with some type of tube integration.  Schiit's integrated could go a number of different places, all of which would be exciting as Schiit!

That said,  I could also see (and agree with you) that they could just ditch the Rag and move on to bigger and better separates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back