Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 11, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #18,751 of 151,047
I actually asked for this earlier in the thread. I asked for either a dedicated input or to make it just activated when the power was off (like the Rogue Audio RP1) .

The reaction from Jason (or Mike) was abject horror....

Do they think they would be the 1st one to implement HT Pass Through.....??? "some bobo" isn't buying their equipment, If you are buying a Tube preamp, you probably have a clue what you are doing, with audio equipment anyway.....

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #18,752 of 151,047
That was also my thought. But thinking again. To me Schiit audio is one ship with a tightly knitted crew. Jason could be a dual purpose captain and engineer (yes that's a thing) and Mike his brilliant eccentric chief engineer. Like the german chief engineer on my first sailing ship. He was a one man band playing a mean flamenco guitar and used to entertain us after dinner. I bet acoustic flamenco guitar would sound great on Yggdrasil.

@Earnmyturns Is there any recordings made with Toumani and that LA group?

This isn't exactly flamenco, but give it a try on your Yggy.  Will entertain without a doubt, great music and guitarists...

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #18,753 of 151,047
Dreck is both from Yiddish and middle high German. Means rubbish.

Ah, I can help here.
Dreck in German literally means ****. So this thread is a distinct place for the word.
I see the word I wanted to write is auto**** but I meant the word we all think when we read Schiit.
No offence intended.

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #18,754 of 151,047
Do they think they would be the 1st one to implement HT Pass Through.....??? "some bobo" isn't buying their equipment, If you are buying a Tube preamp, you probably have a clue what you are doing, with audio equipment anyway.....

Honestly Bobo was my word. Nobody from Schiit said bobo. Really don't want that out there, they were concerned about an accident happening and blown speakers.

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #18,755 of 151,047
  This isn't exactly flamenco, but give it a try on your Yggy.  Will entertain without a doubt, great music and guitarists...

I see in your signature that you have both the HD800 and the LCD-X.
Can you please tell me if you have different types of (musical) use for them?

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #18,756 of 151,047

Maybe you're right but I understand the choice to go for the safe side as a manufacturer.
I hear the strangest stories about legal consequences of you don't cover your tracks.
They really know they would not be the first ones to implement an HT Pass Trough.

Isn't there a clever work around possible?
I'm not a technician but I know a thing or two about splitting sources before going into processing.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #18,757 of 151,047
Maybe you're right but I understand the choice to go for the safe side as a manufacturer.
I hear the strangest stories about legal consequences of you don't cover your tracks.
They really know they would not be the first ones to implement an HT Pass Trough.

Isn't there a clever work around possible?
I'm not a technician but I know a thing or two about splitting sources before going into processing.

Use a Schiit Sys (or Balanced Equivalent) with the volume all the way up. Route the Freya and HT Processor through the two intputs.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #18,758 of 151,047
  Paul McGowan, the co-founder and President of PS Audio sends out a short, daily email with his thoughts regarding audio reproduction. Today he shared a story regarding the importance of cables, featuring our very own Baldr:

Tying it together

I would be remiss if I didn’t spend a few words on tying our system together with cables: power, interconnect, speaker.

I remember when cables were an afterthought. Zip cord and cheezy RCA drek did the trick until we realized they mattered.

My first encounter with cables came from one of the founders of Schiit Audio, Mike Moffat. Mike worked as a tech at a California stereo shop called Absolute Audio and Stan and I showed up to pitch our first product, the phono stage. I think this must have been around 1974. Mike gave it a listen and was impressed but before we left he turned our world upside down with an A/B between zip cord and Polk Sound wire (then called Cobra Cable – Litz wire) on a pair of Quad electrostats.

Mike wouldn’t tell us what he was doing. It was simple. Listen to this—now listen to the same thing after I make a change. Hear any difference? Holy crap! As I said, it was life changing. Literally.

Cables matter and how much you spend on them really depends on your budget.

During this series, I have emphasized putting limited funds where they matter most. The fundamentals are critical: speakers, source, AC power, amplification.

Somewhere in the mix, you’re going to need to get good cables—and they don’t have to cost a fortune. But, they matter. A lot.

If I had to make a recommendation of the order of importance, it would look something like this:
  1. Speaker cables
  2. Audio interconnects (and always go balanced when the equipment permits it)
  3. Digital
  4. Power

Get those right and you’ll build a strong foundation supporting the time, effort, and expense you’ve gone through building your system.

It all matters.

Schiit recommends and uses Monoprice cables.  Granted, 24 ga. zip cord would be bad, but I avoid "audiophile" cables, personally.

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #18,759 of 151,047
I use Monoprice too.  Nice cables.  But they don't put flow direction arrows on their cables so you have to figure out for yourself which way the electrons are flowing. That can be tricky.

I have used Bluejeans and a few other sane and good quality cable makers.  It's not fair to brand all cables snake oil but there certainly is a lot of snake oil out there. I'm surprised Paul McGowan said that.

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #18,760 of 151,047
  I use Monoprice too.  Nice cables.  But they don't put flow direction arrows on their cables so you have to figure out for yourself which way the electrons are flowing. That can be tricky.

Just lick each end before you install them.  Then it doesn't matter.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #18,763 of 151,047
Just received my Modi2 to bridge my laptop (Tidal Masters) to my Bottlehead Crack & HD600....REALLY enjoying the Schiit out of it!!! Been a couple weeks & still look forward each day to the few minutes a night I get to relax with it.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #18,764 of 151,047
Use a Schiit Sys (or Balanced Equivalent) with the volume all the way up. Route the Freya and HT Processor through the two intputs.

This.

The Discussion of HT Pass through was debated and addressed back when the Freya was released.   It will be debated and questioned but Schiit seems to keep a Minimalist approach from what I can tell, It falls into the Power switch up front category.Sure it could be done but at what cost dollars wise and SQ wise. Although I have though since the freya has come out, the Extensive use of relays for input and output switching and volume control a relay controlled power switch would be pretty slick as relays use relatively low current for the trigger but again at what cost. Oh well I am enjoying the freya in my 2 channel rig. Nothing comes close to it in that price bracket and there may be very few that do even in the higher price bracket.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #18,765 of 151,047

I have used Bluejeans and a few other sane and good quality cable makers.  It's not fair to brand all cables snake oil but there certainly is a lot of snake oil out there. I'm surprised Paul McGowan said that.

I believe the reason why some cables are "directional" is that on one end the shielding is not terminated, supposedly to keep noise low. Or something.

Bluejeans are what I use and as "fancy" as I'll get. It's funny how cables stop mattering when you stop thinking about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back