Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 12, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #18,781 of 150,661
I doubt there will be a Rag 2. Just like there won't be a yggy 2.

I could see another integrated amp, with SE Vidar topology inside. ( Are you listening Jason?? )

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #18,782 of 150,661

Really?  I agree on the yggy.  Since it's upgrade-able, any revisions will most likely come in the form of an "upgrade"...

But with the Rag, it seems to me that we might expect the aforementioned remote, Jotty's pivot-point and/or Vidar topology with a power bump, with some type of tube integration.  Schiit's integrated could go a number of different places, all of which would be exciting as Schiit!

That said,  I could also see (and agree with you) that they could just ditch the Rag and move on to bigger and better separates.

I think it's will be very difficult to better the Ragnarok.
I see them selling the thing for the next 10 years.
Maybe a bigger brother but with the coming Vidar that would make no sense.

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #18,784 of 150,661

Really?  I agree on the yggy.  Since it's upgrade-able, any revisions will most likely come in the form of an "upgrade"...

But with the Rag, it seems to me that we might expect the aforementioned remote, Jotty's pivot-point and/or Vidar topology with a power bump, with some type of tube integration.  Schiit's integrated could go a number of different places, all of which would be exciting as Schiit!

That said,  I could also see (and agree with you) that they could just ditch the Rag and move on to bigger and better separates.

Updates to the existing Yggy and Rag units would make sense if economically feasible for Schiit.

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #18,788 of 150,661
I agree schiit is totally within its rights to never implement HT passthru and that they have to do what makes sense for their business. I don't agree it falls into the "power switch up front" category. It is a real barrier to ownership for those with non enthusiast family members who don't have the space for a dedicated 2-channel system. My speaker system doubles as a HT and television setup.

I edited out the SYS criticism - didn't think it through.

Jason has stated in multiple posts that he does not want to stick his finger into the HT tar baby with its attendant HDMI interface issues. So, Schiit is a 2 channel and headphone company. HT lovers need not apply. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #18,790 of 150,661
Apr 12, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #18,791 of 150,661

Jason has stated in multiple posts that he does not want to stick his finger into the HT tar baby with its attendant HDMI interface issues. So, Schiit is a 2 channel and headphone company. HT lovers need not apply. 

adding HT Bypass is nothing like adding HDMI. It is a simple circuit and many high-end (and not-so-high-end) 2-channel preamps have HT bypass. http://www.soundandvision.com/content/what-home-theater-bypass-feature

Why? because many people, myself included, have one dedicated listening room and we don't want our great sounding DAC's analog outputs going through a surround processor (even if it is a good one like my Classe SSP-800) or, gasp, a AV receiver.

Why? well many surround processors/AVRs just don't sound as good on 2-channel music as a dedicated 2-channel preamp does.

Another reason is you typically end up not being able to use your subwoofer(s) when you use the analog bypass on your processor/receiver because the sub outputs don't work with the analog bypass option on processors/AVRs because it is analog.

So if you do want to use your subs (and don't have a 2-channel preamp w/ bypass), you end up using DSP and the analog signal from your digital source ends up going through the processor/AVR's DACs. In other words, D/A in your DAC then another conversion (A/D/A) in your processor/AVR, not necessarily a good thing. And even if you have a processor with good to great D/A conversion, you bought your dac because you want to hear your dac, not your processor, right? Right?

The solution is to add a quality 2-channel preamp with HT bypass and line level outputs that allow you to connect and run your subs and amp(s) at the same time. Not all preamps are up to this - Modwright preamps for example.

While I'm no longer in the market for a 2-channel preamp, I ended up scratching quite a few from my lists over the years because they didn't feature HT bypass. And, no, adding a SYS or anything else as a work around (or is it reach around?) isn't the way to go either.

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #18,792 of 150,661
  well, they did just get done with CanJam and opening the Schiitr...maybe that is why it is quiet

Yes, they did, but I suspect something's coming...stay tuned y'all (I know, you are already tuned in...LOL).

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #18,795 of 150,661

I'm 2-channel 99% with a pair of LCD-x's to sell. I sit at my home desk listening and I am always pleased with the sound from the KEF LS50's

Not a day goes by that I don't think on figuring out a way to shoehorn a pair of LS50's and a pair of compact subs somewhere in my 3 floor condo to utilize my Rag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back