Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 18, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #148,411 of 149,883
We still miss the red 4-door Quattro we had as a company car when we lived in the UK in the late 80s. Its ridiculous acceleration (for the time) and my wife's (still) amazing reflexes with the stick shift saved us from a rogue 18-wheeler on the M11 (I still shudder to recall), and multiple other adventures. I have tried since to convince her to get a sportier car than Subarus — her driving deserves one — but nothing can match that Quattro in her estimation.

Subaru parts sells upgraded rear sway bars for the XV Crosstrek. There are 19mm and or 20mm replacements. Plus, Bilstein makes B4, B6, and B8 series dampers for the Crosstrek. Those upgrades are supposed to provide a nice bump in performance. At least for the chassis. Not much can be done for the stock Boxer engines (at least in my budget)...! 🤣

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #148,413 of 149,883
Then it might please you to know that yesterday I gave away 300+ cardboard moving boxes. I didn't sleep well last night, but I'm doing better today. 🤣
Congratulations -- the end of the move. Hope that y'all enjoy and thrive in the new home and environment. I've owned six houses, many less than you, Bill, and it was stressful every time. Perhaps they have White Castle over in Oklahoma? :)

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #148,414 of 149,883
The worst whuppin' my mother ever gave me was for eating 3 dozen Krispy Kreme Donuts that were meant for a coffee and donut meeting of the ship's wives held at our home when the husbands were on a tour at sea.

I was quite hungry at the time. It only took maybe 15 to 20 minutes to eat them all. I could not get near a Krispy Kreme for years. Decades later I took my young family to a KK in Las Vegas and they enjoyed them immensely. I did not eat a single one.

I had a similar run-in with tater tots. Still to this day can't stomach 'em.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #148,415 of 149,883
The NPE's for the hi-pass section are by-passed with Audyn Q4 series films. A film cap for that section would be the size of a beer can or two...not practical IMHO.
The NPE cap in the 125hz, 12db/octave Bessel lo-pass section is fine, again IMHO.
It all sounds superb, BTW.
The Spica TC-60's crossovers are stock, un-modified.
Spica!! My big brother and I lusted BIG time after the TC-60s! HUZZAH!

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #148,416 of 149,883
Electrolytic caps should never be used in speaker crossovers. I mean unless you don’t care about sound quality.
I'm glad someone besides me said this. The only time I've been forced to use electrolytics is for cost reasons in a commercial design for a commercial client. If DIY or if looking for best sound, keep those things away from your Xover (because they can make the sound shrill) and use (at least) poly caps. Iron core inductors are not allowed in my designs as well due to non-linearity. And yes, that means everything is more expensive and sometimes larger than a bread box (and in my designs the Xover often costs much more than the drivers) but if it's the best sound you're after, spend the money and find the space. IMO, of course.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #148,417 of 149,883
During my last days leading a company before I retired there was some animosity between employees I will not get into. I did my best to try to bring people together over snacks and wine and craft beer tastings. It seemed to help. Now for snacks I always liked things like smoked salmon on a bed of crème cheese, red onions, and capers with a touch of dill. I tended to serve on a freshly sliced baguette of bread and a drizzle of fine balsamic vinegar on top. Generally I would accompany that with Prosecco or a not too dry Riesling. On special occasions I would make chicken or veal piccata with candied lemon slices as garnish.
You can't make posts like this unless you are sending out invitations!

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #148,418 of 149,883
I had a similar run-in with tater tots. Still to this day can't stomach 'em.
Personally, I love 'em. I thought they'd be the perfect candidate for air frying. Sigh. Not even close. They disintegrated the moment I tried to shake them to stir them up. Of course still edible. Just a pile of potato bits now. They'd be a good starter for hash browns though. I'll stick with Ore-Ida Fast Food Fries from now on.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #148,419 of 149,883
A rare album from before Peter Green left the band:

438099411_8429687687044743_6067033587739851069_n.jpg

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #148,422 of 149,883
Personally, I love 'em. I thought they'd be the perfect candidate for air frying. Sigh. Not even close. They disintegrated the moment I tried to shake them to stir them up. Of course still edible. Just a pile of potato bits now. They'd be a good starter for hash browns though. I'll stick with Ore-Ida Fast Food Fries from now on.
I also love tader tot
I love them too. However I put the tater tots in a smoker and smoke until they are done. This week I plan to smoke a batch and I will also smoke some Dino nuggets.

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #148,423 of 149,883
What?! Y’all didn’t hit the Waffle House in Boone?
You know, I don't think there was a Waffle House in Boone back then. We felt fortunate when a Hardees came to town. Of course, fine dining for me back then was Spam and eggs, instead of just Spam. :laughing:

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #148,424 of 149,883
I only use NPEs on the woofer shunts. Just the largest values. Then those are bypassed with low value film and foil caps. Everything else is poly, usually Mundorf or ClarityCap.

Clarity caps are great! The CMR series is excellent. Don’t use ESA / CSA for tweeters or full range. Their top end drops off quickly making high frequencies sound muted. But they’re fine for mids and woofers.

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #148,425 of 149,883
Congratulations -- the end of the move. Hope that y'all enjoy and thrive in the new home and environment. I've owned six houses, many less than you, Bill, and it was stressful every time. Perhaps they have White Castle over in Oklahoma? :)
Thanks, man! Glad to finally be settled in. Haven't had a chance though to look for White Castles....and probably won't. 🤣 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back