Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #148,383 of 149,848
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #148,385 of 149,848
I was trying to motivate people, not punish them. 🤣

When I moved to GA I had to give up NC BBQ, but at least there was Bojangles. Now in OK, there's no NC BBQ or Bojangles. I'm obviously doing something totally wrong here. :frowning2:
Done right, Southern biscuits (Bojangles is one of the best chains for that) are heaven on earth… Country ham, please (provides all your sodium requirements for a fortnight…)

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #148,387 of 149,848
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #148,388 of 149,848
After a live concert this weekend I came home and thought the sound was a little thinner. Changing Kara from x1 to x4 gain stage corrected that. I seem to change between those stages periodically. Options are a good thing.

Those with Kara… are you fixed on one gain mode or do you change it periodically?
Not the Kara but the Freya N, but I find myself switching between passive and tubes quite frequently, and enjoy both in equal measure.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #148,389 of 149,848
I downed my share during those wee-hour college days too. And lived, kind of. But after graduating we discovered that a couple dozen Krispy Kremes hot off the conveyor was a much better way to soak up alcohol. 🤣

1713394590605.png
What?! Y’all didn’t hit the Waffle House in Boone?

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #148,390 of 149,848
I may have brought it up but I got out long ago.🤪 Our new French door side by side was delivered late afternoon and I was amazed that two thin guys with a six inch wide strap underneath the fridge carried it up a flight of stairs and hauled down the old one the same way.😁 I should have taken photos. You just never know what might spark a discussion here.
It's amazing what humans can lift with the right gear.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #148,391 of 149,848
Not the Kara but the Freya N, but I find myself switching between passive and tubes quite frequently, and enjoy both in equal measure.
I have Freya S, and no, I’m happy at Nexus 1x Low gain. But YMMV. Do what makes you happiest. With bourbon…

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #148,392 of 149,848
I just remembered that Apple Vision Pro is a thing that exists.

Which is funny, because even the litany of Apple-centric pundits and reviewers that I (kinda have to) follow for my day to day work seem to have forgotten about it.

So, how much longer do I have to wait until I can say out loud what I've been thinking since the day it got announced, meaning that it's a solution in search of a problem, and that I remain convinced that not even the nerdiest of geeks want to spend their days with screens strapped right to their actual faces?

Honestly, I still can't believe that the brass at Apple ever thought that it's any more than a nifty tech demo. Something any company of that size should spend some time exploring — and then put on a shelf because there's really nothing there that can't already be covered as well or better by existing, widely accepted device types. They either see a roadmap for the thing that I don't, or they have a serious echo chamber problem within the company. Most likely it's a mix of both.
One the paradoxes of Silly Valley is that theres such beautiful nature all around if you only get out of your building, and yet so much thought and $$$ are wasted on building devices to separate you from that nature, multiple generations of, all failed to this point. Even in the middle of our office parks, if you only look, there are amazing aerial displays of local and migrating birds (we are on the Pacific Flyway, after all). Heck, I watch red-tailed hawks and crows fighting for airspace out of my city home office window from time to time. And you drive to the Pacific shore at the right times of the year, and there are humpbacks (my favorite sea denizen), gray whales, elephant seals, sea otters, and even migrating sea lions, not to mention the ubiquitous harbor seals and their lovely pups that have just been weaned. Just 20 minutes from our house, beautiful redwood, madrone, live oak. There's so much to see and hear, who would want to have a derivative and motion-sickness-inducing gadget stuck on their face?

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #148,393 of 149,848
Then it might please you to know that yesterday I gave away 300+ cardboard moving boxes. I didn't sleep well last night, but I'm doing better today. 🤣
There must be a 12-step program for that!

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #148,394 of 149,848
Apr 18, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #148,395 of 149,848
My first Audi was the street version, (unfortunately not the “Ur” variant!) 1990 Coupe’ Quattro. Best “terrible conditions” vehicle I’ve ever owned (physical, gear-based Quattro drive-train - not today’s computerized gizmo) AND it even had locking differentials! I literally NEVER once got stuck, even in 18” plus of unplowed snow.
We still miss the red 4-door Quattro we had as a company car when we lived in the UK in the late 80s. Its ridiculous acceleration (for the time) and my wife's (still) amazing reflexes with the stick shift saved us from a rogue 18-wheeler on the M11 (I still shudder to recall), and multiple other adventures. I have tried since to convince her to get a sportier car than Subarus — her driving deserves one — but nothing can match that Quattro in her estimation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back