Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #148,366 of 149,848
The Panoz was a total beast - I had the stickers too - Sound like thunder goes like lightning - on a fiat 500 !!!
Oxymoron there, right!? No cinquecento has ever done anything quickly…

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #148,367 of 149,848
Yeah, but then beer stocked fridges are not a thing in US (or UK) offices!!
I’ve worked in more than one US office with beer stocked fridges. Granted, I work with beverage alcohol, but at least one of those offices was a law firm.

My last job had beer on tap in the break room.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #148,368 of 149,848
After a live concert this weekend I came home and thought the sound was a little thinner. Changing Kara from x1 to x4 gain stage corrected that. I seem to change between those stages periodically. Options are a good thing.

Those with Kara… are you fixed on one gain mode or do you change it periodically?
On 1x.
Haven't tried 4x due to using my Dyna PAS-4 preamp in front of Kara.
I use the P-4 as a phono stage, multi source switching unit and the balance control for off-axis listening.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #148,371 of 149,848
Electrolytic caps should never be used in speaker crossovers. I mean unless you don’t care about sound quality.
The NPE's for the hi-pass section are by-passed with Audyn Q4 series films. A film cap for that section would be the size of a beer can or two...not practical IMHO.
The NPE cap in the 125hz, 12db/octave Bessel lo-pass section is fine, again IMHO.
It all sounds superb, BTW.
The Spica TC-60's crossovers are stock, un-modified.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #148,372 of 149,848
After a live concert this weekend I came home and thought the sound was a little thinner. Changing Kara from x1 to x4 gain stage corrected that. I seem to change between those stages periodically. Options are a good thing.

Those with Kara… are you fixed on one gain mode or do you change it periodically?

I use high gain for my phono input and low gain for everything else.

:beerchug:
JC

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #148,375 of 149,848
The NPE's for the hi-pass section are by-passed with Audyn Q4 series films. A film cap for that section would be the size of a beer can or two...not practical IMHO.
The NPE cap in the 125hz, 12db/octave Bessel lo-pass section is fine, again IMHO.
It all sounds superb, BTW.
The Spica TC-60's crossovers are stock, un-modified.
Spica's are sweet! I wouldn't mind a pair of Angelus!

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #148,376 of 149,848
First rides in two Teslas (a model S and a Model 3) this past week. Both of them were extremely noisy (road noise) in the cabin. Is this normal?

Nota bene: Neither had Schiit equipment in them (other than the Vali 3 that was in my backpack).
I don't, of course, know your baseline. I've spent quality time in Models X, 3 and Y and found them to be substantially quieter than any previous gas cars I've driven, but I've not driven any super luxury brands. With the substantially lower drivetrain noise you do hear a lot of other noises. Many who have driven the updated model 3 (and I don't know which model 3 you drove) have reported a significant reduction of noise from the previous model. I haven't driven the updated model 3 yet and can't confirm or deny.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #148,378 of 149,848
Electrolytic caps should never be used in speaker crossovers. I mean unless you don’t care about sound quality.
As always, YMMV. 😁

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #148,379 of 149,848
Apr 17, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #148,380 of 149,848
Can you elaborate why this is?
Compared to film caps they add a haze to the sound. Someone else described it as holding the signal a little too long. Bypassing with a small film cap helps but for better resolution film caps are superior. If it’s a really large value you can bundle several smaller caps in parallel to reach the same number but they should all be the same value. Tweeters and mids should always use film caps and air-core chokes. Iron core chokes should only be used in woofer circuits. Chokes should also be mounted with the cores perpendicular to each other or as far apart as possible. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back