Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #145,756 of 149,551
Maybe not a mistake but a sales technique. I have a friend in the furniture business. A prior company he worked for had 4 sales events every year. Massive radio ads, some TV, stating they were closing for 1 day to prepare for the unbelievable, upcoming sale. What happened was the store closed for a day so every furniture item could be retagged with an increased 'regular' price and the 'sale' price. Over 80% of the store was at a higher 'sale' price than before the sales event. Furniture flew out of the store, after all, it was on sale.
Marketing in action. It works best when you know the buying habits of your target customer base.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #145,757 of 149,551
Tonight I decided to set up Qobuz on the music PC connected to the Gumby in my 2 ch system.

Poured a 1792 bourbon and putting on Stan Getz. This is a great way to break in the new to me Gumby...
I like 1792 on occasion myself and I certainly run Qobuz through a Gumby, it has long been my favorite Schiit DAC but naturally YMMV. Getz is also a favorite of course.😉

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #145,759 of 149,551
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 21.14.18.png

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #145,760 of 149,551
Just deleted the political equivalent of the Objectivists vs Subjectivists debate, and temporarily banned the instigator.

If you haven't lived in both California and Texas for a good long time, you don't understand those states. If you think either is unequivocally right in all things, you are operating at a too simplistic level. If you don't understand that it's the company and its people who define its inherent goodness or badness, you don't know how things really work.

Or, in short: Texas isn't what you think it is. Neither is California.

End political discussion.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #145,761 of 149,551
I will not seek solace the way that @Ripper2860 and @bcowen do, thank you very much.
Or do you mean non-Barbie vinyl?

I was in the liquor store yesterday and all the Buffalo Trace was gone. D'yall think this thread has caused a nationwide run?
Too (far too) late. Near as I can tell that “run” happened around 2 years ago, we’re just getting to what’s left of the “dregs”, as it were… sorta like finding old cobwebby muscle cars in abandoned barns at this point, alas.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #145,762 of 149,551
Just deleted the political equivalent of the Objectivists vs Subjectivists debate, and temporarily banned the instigator.

If you haven't lived in both California and Texas for a good long time, you don't understand those states. If you think either is unequivocally right in all things, you are operating at a too simplistic level. If you don't understand that it's the company and its people who define its inherent goodness or badness, you don't know how things really work.

Amen. I’ve lived in both (and also Arizona, Colorado, Massachusetts, Michigan, and, now, New Hampshire. Thank you for that, Jason. I’ve long subscribed to the phrase: “Politics: comes from the Latin, Poly meaning many, and Tics, annoying blood-sucking insects…

Met great, and terrible, people in both (heck, all) places. Seen the best, and the worst similarly. Admire the company and culture you’ve built.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #145,763 of 149,551

I didn’t see the post in question as I must admit to losing interest in the forum recently; simply too many posts to keep up.
Jason, you are very tolerant and it is rare that you step in, but hats off for removing BS about politics.
I rarely watch TV because I’m so sick of politics, so the last thing I need is some opinionated fools giving me the ‘benefit’ of their views on a forum which is, to me, an escape from all that schiit!
I have only ever visited two States in the US- Florida (a few times many years ago) and Texas last November.
I visited an old friend from the UK in Dallas last November.
I went with an open mind and loved my short stay.
I met some lovely, welcoming people and enjoyed superb food and drink.
It wasn’t BBQ weather, so I can remain impartial about which States do the best BBQs.
My brother spent 3 weeks in California last October and loved it.
There is so much to see…
The States are too big for us here in the UK to take in!
Texas alone is many times larger than the whole British Isles.
I will definitely return.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #145,764 of 149,551
Schiit gear .....

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #145,765 of 149,551
I didn’t see the post in question as I must admit to losing interest in the forum recently; simply too many posts to keep up.
Oh no! Please don't go! I promise I'll cut back on my posting. ☹️

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #145,766 of 149,551
I visited an old friend from the UK in Dallas last November.
I went with an open mind and loved my short stay.
I met some lovely, welcoming people and enjoyed superb food and drink.
It wasn’t BBQ weather, so I can remain impartial about which States do the best BBQs.
My brother spent 3 weeks in California last October and loved it.
There is so much to see…
The States are too big for us here in the UK to take in!
Texas alone is many times larger than the whole British Isles.
I will definitely return.
You also got your first taste of margaritas and Mexican beer 🍺🍹

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #145,767 of 149,551
My favorite BBQ isn't BBQ at all, but marinated tri-tip cooked over an oak wood fire on the beach in Northern California. With a dozen or so friends, potatoes baked in the same fire, some fresh ripe tomatoes and avocados, plenty of cold beer, and someone passing around a tequila bottle.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #145,768 of 149,551
My favorite BBQ isn't BBQ at all, but marinated tri-tip cooked over an oak wood fire on the beach in Northern California. With a dozen or so friends, potatoes baked in the same fire, some fresh ripe tomatoes and avocados, plenty of cold beer, and someone passing around a tequila bottle.
That meets my definition of BBQ. Hard to cook over a wood fire without having some smoke. Sounds like a great evening.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #145,769 of 149,551

HEAVEN!!!

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #145,770 of 149,551
I haven't been to the USA in ~20 years, despite the border being 45 minutes away and family not-too-distant in Indiana. Work, life, and other things just meant putting off going there. This year, I'll be making 2-3 trips over the border. Nephew's wedding and consulting on an observatory project will take me to the land of John Mellencamp, Crystal Gayle, and the Indy 500. This means I can haul more of the telescopes and other gear that's been gifted to me back to my Canadian home, and it's a great opportunity to buy some Schiit components to be delivered to my brother's place. The only question is what to purchase (and also, should I purchase...). I do want to beef up the speaker rig in the basement family room, but the majority of my listening so far is with headphones in my main floor reading room. Speaker amp(s) and/or preamp and or DAC, or yet another headphone amp (Mjolnir 3)? There could be Tyrs of a clown when my wife watches me unload the car on my return sometime in late June...

Just some holiday morning musing over a cup of tea. GAS is indeed a problem (that can't always be cured by GAS-X or Beano).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back