Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #145,786 of 149,552
I was trying to give a sensible answer, lol. But it sounds like you need to move Gungnir and Freya to your speaker setup with a to-be-determined amp(or 2). Then add Mjolnir 3 with a Gungnir 2 or Yggy GS2 to your headphone stack 😬🤣😂

Yup, I was thinking along those lines, with the Gumby staying with headphones and a YGGY variant with the speakers.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #145,787 of 149,552
Charlotte is a great town. Has a really nice vibe. Clean. A nice blend of old and modern. Beautiful trees. Great southern food (2nd best BBQ - although the gap between #1 Texas and #2 NC is quite the chasm!!). An overabundance of pubs and breweries. I enjoy going back every year to visit my dad and brother. I think you will really enjoy your visit.
My late sister-in-law lived in Charlotte. I always enjoyed visiting. I also spent a lot of time (for work) in Raleigh-Durham. Both great towns. The Charlotte drivers scared me, I eventually realized that their role model was Richard Petty.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #145,789 of 149,552
I haven't been to the USA in ~20 years, despite the border being 45 minutes away and family not-too-distant in Indiana. Work, life, and other things just meant putting off going there. This year, I'll be making 2-3 trips over the border. Nephew's wedding and consulting on an observatory project will take me to the land of John Mellencamp, Crystal Gayle, and the Indy 500. This means I can haul more of the telescopes and other gear that's been gifted to me back to my Canadian home, and it's a great opportunity to buy some Schiit components to be delivered to my brother's place. The only question is what to purchase (and also, should I purchase...). I do want to beef up the speaker rig in the basement family room, but the majority of my listening so far is with headphones in my main floor reading room. Speaker amp(s) and/or preamp and or DAC, or yet another headphone amp (Mjolnir 3)? There could be Tyrs of a clown when my wife watches me unload the car on my return sometime in late June...

Just some holiday morning musing over a cup of tea. GAS is indeed a problem (that can't always be cured by GAS-X or Beano).
If you find yourself in southern Indiana and like alcoholic spirits of many kinds, Huber's Starlight Distillery is a fascinating place to tour or hang out for a drink at. Huge family-run farm that does wine, brandies, whiskey, and much more. Quite a place!

Starlight Distillery

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #145,790 of 149,552
There's a cool cabin in the forest north of Brookings that my family and I will rent when we want to deep dive into the redwoods. Neat area with very temperate weather. It can be 98°f in Bend and be only 73° down there!
Stunning coastline too! I was always a fan of the yurts at the state campground when I wanted an easy getaway.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #145,792 of 149,552
I hope to visit NC soon as another old friend from UK has invited me over.
He lives in Charlotte and really likes living there.
He stayed with us here in the UK last month and even though he knows his English beers- we grew up drinking Fullers and Young’s in London- he had his first ever pint of draught Bass in my ‘local’.
He thought it was fantastic!
That’s one thing you can’t get in the States- it’s hard enough to find in England now!
My thanks to @Roy G. Biv- who I had the pleasure of meeting in person whilst in Dallas- for introducing me to Mexican beer.
It is quite remarkable that we now now each other purely as a result of this forum.
Cheers :beerchug:
While I'm not much of a beer fan, I do love the word bass.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #145,794 of 149,552
I just realized there aren't any Australians on the thread or then they have unbelievable restraint...
Currawong, Mr. Amos Barnett.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #145,796 of 149,552
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #145,797 of 149,552
Amidst the talk about BBQ I just want to take a few seconds to give paise to the Freya S!

I got it together with Yggy+GS2 to sit between it and the Aegir (OG), mainly for volume control via remote, so I didn’t feel like spending too much more right then (maybe get something better later).

So after the Yggy was in the basket I looked in the Closeout/Current deals section and there she was, just what I needed, a silver 230V Freya S. In she went and although the wallet was even lighter after that, I didn’t feel it had lost too much weight. Add some balanced cables too as I realised they both do balanced and order done.

Now a few months later I would be on the look for something better, but I’m not. I don’t feel I need to at all because the Freya S is so good! It sounds great, does exactly what I need, doesn’t get hot while being left on - just barely warm even though the 4x gain stage is active all the time, and I love the clickety-click of the relay ladder volume control. Only thing is lack of headphone out for late night listening, but I have plenty of other Schiit for that! :L3000:

I will have to order another remote though, I haven’t lost it yet, but around here it’s just a matter of time. The remotes for both the TV and AppleTV have already mysteriously disappeared…

Now back to the regularly scheduled BBQ..

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #145,798 of 149,552
If you find yourself in southern Indiana and like alcoholic spirits of many kinds, Huber's Starlight Distillery is a fascinating place to tour or hang out for a drink at. Huge family-run farm that does wine, brandies, whiskey, and much more. Quite a place!

Starlight Distillery

Thanks for the recommendation! Alas, my alcohol consumption days are well behind me. After some trial and error it turns out that alcohol was the cause of some volcanic acid reflux. The money saved since I went dry has been plowed invested into my hobbies.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #145,799 of 149,552
Amidst the talk about BBQ I just want to take a few seconds to give paise to the Freya S!

I got it together with Yggy+GS2 to sit between it and the Aegir (OG), mainly for volume control via remote, so I didn’t feel like spending too much more right then (maybe get something better later).

So after the Yggy was in the basket I looked in the Closeout/Current deals section and there she was, just what I needed, a silver 230V Freya S. In she went and although the wallet was even lighter after that, I didn’t feel it had lost too much weight. Add some balanced cables too as I realised they both do balanced and order done.

Now a few months later I would be on the look for something better, but I’m not. I don’t feel I need to at all because the Freya S is so good! It sounds great, does exactly what I need, doesn’t get hot while being left on - just barely warm even though the 4x gain stage is active all the time, and I love the clickety-click of the relay ladder volume control. Only thing is lack of headphone out for late night listening, but I have plenty of other Schiit for that! :L3000:

I will have to order another remote though, I haven’t lost it yet, but around here it’s just a matter of time. The remotes for both the TV and AppleTV have already mysteriously disappeared…

Now back to the regularly scheduled BBQ..
I too loved my Freya S...until I up-graded to Kara.
To quote Jason..."Kara kills Freya S"
He was correct..it does.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #145,800 of 149,552
I too loved my Freya S...until I up-graded to Kara.
To quote Jason..."Kara kills Freya S"
He was correct..it does.

Tried the headphone out yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back