Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #145,816 of 151,569
Just out of curiosity, since it’s been confirmed Valhalla 3 will be OTL/OCL like the Folkvangr, is there a reason Schiit has never made an output transformer coupled amp?

I have the Folkvangr now, and it’s amazing for high impedance headphones (and does solid with some lower and medium impedance headphones) but predictably falls apart with low-impedance current-hungry planars like the LCD-5.

I went ahead and ordered an MJ3 as a counterpoint to the FV, since I figure it’ll do a great job with those low impedance current-hungry loads.

Still, a Schiit “universal” full tube amp with output transformers that could handle low impedance loads as easily as high impedance would be pretty cool.

I had the chance to hear the LCD-5 on the Woo Luna, Abyss Diana on the Woo WA22, and the DCA Expanse on the Cayin HA-6A, and they all sounded very nice (though the HA-6A needed to be at about 85-90% max volume to get decent volume levels on the Expanse) so I’d really love to see what Schiit could do throwing their hat into that ring.

I too am very curious about the Valhalla 3 and how Jason did the OTL/OCL and presumably have enough power to power non high impedance headphones decently without 10 tubes. And presumably at a lower cost than FV.

As for the output transformer, IIRC it isn't cheap to find an output transformer made in the USA with 20Hz-20KHz flat bandwidth at a reasonable price. He mentioned this waaaay back.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #145,817 of 151,569
I too loved my Freya S...until I up-graded to Kara.
To quote Jason..."Kara kills Freya S"
He was correct..it does.

I have both (Kara and Freya S) in different systems. Kara is good but so is Freya S. Gain stage flavors differ from one to the other. I prefer Kara in x1 gain stage and Freya S in x4 gain stage. Just my opinion. :)

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #145,818 of 151,569
Fender Jazz..?

I could only afford a Fender Jazz copy when I bought my first ( and only) bass guitar back in 1974.

I had to work all summer to save the £48 it cost me.

It sounded pretty good, through my home made amp and speaker cabinet, but had a terrible action, which meant it was really hard on the fingers.

That's my excuse for never troubling the careers of any of my bass guitar heroes, who included:

Jack Bruce
Jaco Pastorius
Andy Fraser
Chris Squire
Paul McCartney
John Paul Jones
John Entwistle
Yep, she's a J
Olympic white,
Rosewood neck,
Jan 62 neck date.

She's been all up and down the West Coast and has seen many different studios.

Extremely road worn.

I call her my tone monster.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #145,819 of 151,569
I just (sort of, echoed that, then get to this post).

For those not in the know, it's pronounced with a hard A, not like those low notes we stuggle to get out of our speakers.
All your bass are belong to us...

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #145,820 of 151,569
Not a bit. Get them a start if you are able, then transition them to being self-supporting. They learn things other than (in our case) epidemiology. They’ll (probably) thank you later 🤣! Wait… That’s kinda the definition of tough love. Never mind. I agree with @Ripper2860!
I've been paying her tuition (no loans), books, car, insurance, cell phone, internet, and giving her an allowance for 4 years now and off-campus apartment rent for 3 years. All she has to pay is meals, electricity, and gas for the car. She's transferred twice and with each transfer credits didn't carry-over, so classes had to be retaken. No real sense of urgency so I had to draw the line. Will I help out post-college? Sure. But I ain't telling her that! :D

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #145,821 of 151,569
I've been paying her tuition (no loans), books, car, insurance, cell phone, internet, and giving her an allowance for 4 years now and off-campus apartment rent for 3 years. All she has to pay is meals, electricity, and gas for the car. She's transferred twice and with each transfer credits didn't carry-over, so classes had to be retaken. No real sense of urgency so I had to draw the line. Will I help out post-college? Sure. But I ain't telling her that! :D
Do we have the same daughter (well, in my case step)?

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #145,822 of 151,569
Mar 29, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #145,823 of 151,569
Amidst the talk about BBQ I just want to take a few seconds to give paise to the Freya S!

I got it together with Yggy+GS2 to sit between it and the Aegir (OG), mainly for volume control via remote, so I didn’t feel like spending too much more right then (maybe get something better later).

So after the Yggy was in the basket I looked in the Closeout/Current deals section and there she was, just what I needed, a silver 230V Freya S. In she went and although the wallet was even lighter after that, I didn’t feel it had lost too much weight. Add some balanced cables too as I realised they both do balanced and order done.

Now a few months later I would be on the look for something better, but I’m not. I don’t feel I need to at all because the Freya S is so good! It sounds great, does exactly what I need, doesn’t get hot while being left on - just barely warm even though the 4x gain stage is active all the time, and I love the clickety-click of the relay ladder volume control. Only thing is lack of headphone out for late night listening, but I have plenty of other Schiit for that! :L3000:

I will have to order another remote though, I haven’t lost it yet, but around here it’s just a matter of time. The remotes for both the TV and AppleTV have already mysteriously disappeared…

Now back to the regularly scheduled BBQ..
A welcomed interruption to the flow. :D

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #145,824 of 151,569
Mar 29, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #145,825 of 151,569
I hope to visit NC soon as another old friend from UK has invited me over.
He lives in Charlotte and really likes living there.
My eldest attended Queens College and the restaurant scene in Charlotte is great. You must try Amelie's bakery.
There's also a Mexican restaurant that makes the guacamole table-side from fresh everything.

Lovely, lovely place. Despite the scary Panther logo hanging over the downtown area! :-D

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #145,827 of 151,569
Here is an example of why it pays to be nice to people, these came from some gypsy who wanders from state to state searching for the best bar-b-cue.🤪 IMG_7647.jpeg

These are one of a kind since the factory was bombed. Some amazing KT-90’s.

I am also looking forward to working with a friend on other audio related items.😁

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #145,828 of 151,569
My eldest attended Queens College and the restaurant scene in Charlotte is great. You must try Amelie's bakery.
There's also a Mexican restaurant that makes the guacamole table-side from fresh everything.

Lovely, lovely place. Despite the scary Panther logo hanging over the downtown area! :-D
Believe me -- there is nothing scary about the Carolina Panthers! :D

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #145,830 of 151,569
I think @Paladin likes Willett's because he's hoping Babara Eden comes out of the bottle in a waft of smoke:
willetts bourbon.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back