Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 2, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #112,156 of 149,587
@Jason Stoddard back when you launched the Modi MB 2 in December, I recall you had some concern about AD chip supplies. (Of course you have lots of stress about supply these days.) Does this concern remain in March 2023? I only ask because I may buy a second MM2. Would you please give us a 30-day stock warning if you're nearing some sort of supply shortage? Thanks.

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #112,157 of 149,587
With 21 watts feeding the 98dB Lores at 9 feet, I get 108.5 dB. Sounds about right....Marilyn Manson doesn't really come alive until 105 dB or so. 🤣

Crap. More nightmares coming tonight. Just great. :sweat:
...and the post immediately previous provides the cause of your anxiety. The power button holds your salvation. Marilyn Manson at 108 dB? :confounded: The mind reels.

Personally, I can't stand ports. I find this a little difficult to explain in proper terms, but ported speakers usually sound too boomy to me. Especially front-ported ones. Some of the less-well designed ones can even get a bit "huffy," meaning I can hear the air being pushed into and out of the cabinet. And while rear-ported speakers tend to be a tad less boomy and "huffy," they are always a pain to position well, I feel like.
I have a long-standing preference for sealed designs or dipoles as well. My current speakers are sealed, the Apogee Stages previous to these were dipoles, and my first "real" speakers were sealed. My first speakers ever, JBL from an appliance store, were ported, and when pushed hard I could hear the ports chuffing. I sometimes pushed them that hard on purpose: the chuffing proved I had them turned up to eleven.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #112,159 of 149,587
Well said! For me it is like certain songs and who is singing it. For example Ella owns "A Tisket A Tasket" and Sinatra owns "Polka Dots and Moonbeams". In the same way each person here may have equipment that owns a genre or a particular level of bass or any number of things that make up a song and the way it makes the listener feel.

And never forget how your equipment looks. There is comfort, joy and pride in ownership of something you own and proudly display.

Take a listen to Bob Dorough on his 1956 album "Devil May Care". For me, he owns "Polka Dots and Moonbeams". See if you like his jazzy phrasing...

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #112,160 of 149,587
Take a listen to Bob Dorough on his 1956 album "Devil May Care". For me, he owns "Polka Dots and Moonbeams". See if you like his jazzy phrasing...
I remember him from the great series, "Schoolhouse Rock" (Jack Sheldon, too!) and for my favorite Mel "The Velvet Frog" Torme' song, "Comin' Home Baby!".

Thanks for stirring the memories!:beerchug:

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #112,161 of 149,587
Mar 2, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #112,162 of 149,587
I have tried with a decent amount of pressure, afraid that the plug will bend if i apply any more. Will try to get some leverage, maybe a quick spritz of deoxit to grease it up
How far in does it go? If it sits securely enough you could, if you're gifted with a mind that has such abilities, just ignore it.

The real solution is of course to fix or swap out the offending speaker terminal. Fixing it is likely easier than you'd think, if you know someone that has the tools and knowledge then do ask.

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #112,163 of 149,587
I have tried with a decent amount of pressure, afraid that the plug will bend if i apply any more. Will try to get some leverage, maybe a quick spritz of deoxit to grease it up
banana jack on the speaker terminal block is probably undersized. a drill bit twisted by hand may clear out any burrs, but remove a bit of the plating. wipe the drill
bit of any excess grease before using.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #112,164 of 149,587
Why have I not heard of Esquivel before this morning?
Because your father wasn't into weird orchestral and latin music with sound effects on his home built, high end, stereo in the 1950s and 60s like mine was.

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #112,165 of 149,587
Now I don’t know if I want the Gjallarhorn or Emotiva A2m. Any thoughts?
The Emotiva is a lot deeper: 8-1/4” wide x 3” high x 14-1/4” deep (not including connectors). vs 9” x 6” x 2.5”
and a lot more powerful. What are your needs...?

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #112,166 of 149,587
Yeah, damn well better be great! Yowzers. But yeah if the old model I have is any indication they are extremely well designed. Seems like every aspect of the user experience is very well thought out.
I really, really needed eARC so an older model didn't work and why I had to replace my Foundation.
Now I find I can't stand the TV that forced me down this path! :rueful grin:

Fit&Finish on this AVM is stellar and Anthem is a bit like OPPO in that they plug away at the problems until they are resolved.

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #112,167 of 149,587
@Jason Stoddard back when you launched the Modi MB 2 in December, I recall you had some concern about AD chip supplies. (Of course you have lots of stress about supply these days.) Does this concern remain in March 2023? I only ask because I may buy a second MM2. Would you please give us a 30-day stock warning if you're nearing some sort of supply shortage? Thanks.
Jason posted recently that their supply had stabilized and keeping the Modi MM+ in stock would not be a problem.

I updated my SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers with a GR Research upgrade kit. It smoothed those things out nicely and increased the clarity quite a bit. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. It was a really nice upgrade in sound quality. Of course, once I did the upgrade I popped for a pair of Zu Omens and now the SVS are used by the wife.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #112,168 of 149,587
FWIW I’ve been a customer of GR Research for 15 years. I have multiple pairs of his designs. He has continuously proven his skills and expertise to me. Even my first pair of X-SLS are still going strong and continue to impress me.

Are there better speakers out there? Absolutely. But you’ll have to spend more money to match or beat his designs.

My $0.02

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #112,169 of 149,587
I kind'a want to pick up a pair of Q150's, since they're now on sale at $299. But, I don't think I'd spring for the GR Research upgrade. I'd rather mod it myself, using Mundorf capacitors, and save a few hundred dollars...! :grinning:
Stimpy, I have a pair of Q100s that I would be happy to send you if you are interested. I haven't used them in a couple years and never expect to need them so I'd rather they go to a new home.

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #112,170 of 149,587
Stimpy, I have a pair of Q100s that I would be happy to send you if you are interested. I haven't used them in a couple years and never expect to need them so I'd rather they go to a new home.

Yes please...! What a kind offer, which I truly appreciate. I'd love to play with a pair of Kef's. Plus, that would give me a new project, once I've finished recapping my Martin Logan's...! 🤣

I guess we'll PM details? :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back