Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 2, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #112,141 of 151,315
I kind'a want to pick up a pair of Q150's, since they're now on sale at $299. But, I don't think I'd spring for the GR Research upgrade. I'd rather mod it myself, using Mundorf capacitors, and save a few hundred dollars...! :grinning:
I plan on using my son's to prove that the carefully and scientifically researched placement of various colors of M&Ms (plain and peanut) atop the Q150s with and without alignment with the Constellation Pleiades (representing the perfection of the Cosmos via the number 7) shifting the locations and mixing both plain and peanut (NO Reeses allowed!) at exact intervals based upon GMT verification. 'n' sheit.

I will of course not be eating the M&Ms my self as I am married and they are forbidden to all males of the family being pacifically reserved for women, i.e. my spousal unit, daughter and granddaughter.

I fully expect that this study will require pounds and pounds of M&Ms due to their brief lifespan as "audio enhancers" and must be removed and refreshed/replenished on the 1/4hour (GMT) with new ones for at least a week. My wife showed me the official email from the Dept. of Audio saying so.

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #112,142 of 151,315
I have a set o treefiddies I keep thinking I should upgrade the internals, but they sound so great as-is. :heart_eyes:

Not much to mod, in either case.

Q350

s-l1600 (18).jpg

Q150

s-l1600 (17).jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600 (17).jpg
    s-l1600 (17).jpg
    160 KB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #112,143 of 151,315
The name "Rekkr" has been tickling something in the back of my head...and it just came to me what it was:

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #112,144 of 151,315
I have tried that. With the nut in any position, fully tight, fully loose, partially loose, the plug cannot be inserted all the way. I don't have a tool to measure the minute difference in the size of the hole.
How were your speakers hooked up before? Or is this the first time using them? Sounds like the problem is in the binding post.

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #112,145 of 151,315
How were your speakers hooked up before? Or is this the first time using them? Sounds like the problem is in the binding post.
when I last used these at work on a large open desk over 10 years ago I used Zu Wax cables that had a different tip where the tip expanded and contracted. Loosen the tip end, insert into the post and then tighten both the tip and the nut. That setup was at work and the speakers were spread out further. This is a setup at home where there is a wall. One speaker will be about 18 inches from the stack, the other one about 4 feet from the stack. I still have the cables,(8 feet in length and very thick) and I just confirmed that they will fit, I'll have to confirm if they fit into the Gjallahorn and if so see I can lay the cables in such a way that they fit behind my stack and my computer monitor. If they do, maybe send them out to have them shortened as they are really nice cables

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #112,147 of 151,315
when I last used these at work on a large open desk over 10 years ago I used Zu Wax cables that had a different tip where the tip expanded and contracted. Loosen the tip end, insert into the post and then tighten both the tip and the nut. That setup was at work and the speakers were spread out further. This is a setup at home where there is a wall. One speaker will be about 18 inches from the stack, the other one about 4 feet from the stack. I still have the cables,(8 feet in length and very thick) and I just confirmed that they will fit, I'll have to confirm if they fit into the Gjallahorn and if so see I can lay the cables in such a way that they fit behind my stack and my computer monitor. If they do, maybe send them out to have them shortened as they are really nice cables
Do you have a better picture? The link you sent says banana plug, so it should just work

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #112,148 of 151,315
That make$ GR'$ mod$ $o much more...ridiculou$.

(also, you got your crossover in my peanut butter)

There are no (alleged) corrective measures, but it looks like you could do a straight clone of the existing Q150 crossover for ~<$100USD each speaker with very respectable parts.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #112,149 of 151,315

In Danny Richie's defence, his upgrade is truly that, an upgrade that includes an all new 2nd order crossover design (instead of the stock 1st order board), with premium parts. Still pricey, IMO. Though, I would like to hear it.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #112,150 of 151,315
There's no (alleged) corrective measures, but it looks like you could do a straight clone of the existing Q150 crossover for ~<$100USD each speaker with very respectable parts.

I must admit that I have never listened to the results of GR’s modification kits. But I have listened to a few of his videos. He appears to choose popular speakers (popular = lots of people like the sound) designed by reputable firms. Then he measures the frequency response and rants about any dips or hills. This leaves me skeptical. What does he know about speaker sound that the designer doesn’t know and why should I trust his negative opinion over thousands of customers who seem to like the sound? How do I know his measurements are done well? If a reviewer says, “Speaker A sounds better with bass-heavy music than speaker B” I can do something with that information. I do not know how to respond to a rant about a graph.

Mar 2, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #112,152 of 151,315
I must admit that I have never listened to the results of GR’s modification kits. But I have listened to a few of his videos. He appears to choose popular speakers (popular = lots of people like the sound) designed by reputable firms. Then he measures the frequency response and rants about any dips or hills. This leaves me skeptical. What does he know about speaker sound that the designer doesn’t know and why should I trust his negative opinion over thousands of customers who seem to like the sound? How do I know his measurements are done well? If a reviewer says, “Speaker A sounds better with bass-heavy music than speaker B” I can do something with that information. I do not know how to respond to a rant about a graph.
Danny doesn’t choose the speakers. People send them in for his evaluation. He measures them and determines if they could be improved. If they can be he will design a new crossover. At this point the customer is only on the hook for shipping. The customer may choose not to upgrade and only have to cover return shipping. Danny saves the upgraded circuit for anyone else with that speaker who may want to upgrade. Or the customer will buy the upgrade circuit with Danny’s parts and it’s up to them to build and install it.

Mar 2, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #112,153 of 151,315
Mar 2, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #112,155 of 151,315
Danny can easily exploit the issues that bookshelf speakers under 1k all seem to have for budget reasons. The KEF Q150 and Q350 are perfect examples. Those speakers have very very cheap 1st order crossovers that are bringing down the performance. The boxes also probably ring so he can sell you a relatively expensive sheet of No-REZ to mitigate that issue as well. Why doesn't KEF build the Q series with a better crossover and a more braced box? Because then KEF would have to raise the price and then it would make little sense to buy as it would be too close in price to LS50. KEF also doesn't want to cannibalize LS50 sales by making a cheap vinyl wrap speaker that sounds as good or better than the LS50, which is quite profitable. A GR-Research modified Q350 with the larger driver and larger cabinet would likely exceed the performance of the little dynamically constrained LS50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back