Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 2, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #112,127 of 151,654
I wanted to post some quick impressions of my newly arrived Gjallarhorn with the KEF Q150 speakers. Some caveats: 1) this is my desktop system and has suboptimal speaker positioning; 2) the listening I do here is non-critical- this system is for your typical PC-based stuff (youtube, gaming, podcasts, etc) and some music as this is the workstation on which I do my music organization. I am listening in nearfield, 3-4 feet from the speakers.

Gear: PC > Bifrost 2/64 > Jotunheim 2 > Gjallarhorn > KEF Q150

As someone who is driving Magnepan speakers with Tyrs in my other system I was a bit concerned about the 86db sensitivity Q150s with the 10 watt Gjallarhorn (even though the math said I was being silly). For my requirements, I need not have been concerned. During my sessions I was averaging around 70db with peaks up to 84db which is about my personal comfort max for my desktop system. Jotunheim volume knob hovering around 11 o'clock (in the low gain mode). So as far as loudness, it was more than enough and the math says I am not even hitting above 1 watt.

As for how it sounds: I changed a couple things when I picked up the Gjallarhorn. I went from active Audioengine a5+ to the KEF Q150 and from an Asgard to the Jotunheim. So these impressions are not just about the Gjallarhorn, but the above changes as well. I am VERY happy with the results. Nice clarity without being harsh, voices sound beautiful, low-level details are present and bass is surprisingly good, though obvious this only dips so low. The Q150 never sounded strained- dynamics are forceful but natural. I might build a similar stack at another location in the house. The Gjallarhorn/Q150 is a significant upgrade to the active Audioengine 5+ speakers, and I was relatively happy with them before.

TLDR: For nearfield listening, plenty loud, very good dynamics and beautiful detailed sound. Worth every penny. Non music stuff like youtube, podcasts, gaming all also check out great and with better imaging to boot.

Music used for this session includes:
Paul Simon - Graceland
Massive Attack - Messanine
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Behemoth - The Satanist
Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions
Christian McBride - NIght Train
Holly Cole - Temptation
Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Dayan Kai/Keith Greeninger - Blue Coast Collection

If you're curious as to what your next upgrade might be???

KEF Q150 Upgrade Kit

Though, it seems a bit silly to pay more for the upgrades, than the current cost of the speakers...! 🤪

Still, I'm glad to hear your new desktop system has exceeded your expectations. Well done...! :grinning:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #112,128 of 151,654

KEF Q150 Upgrade Kit
Yes I happened to see GR Research's kit and maybe if I was putting these elswhere...but $800 for the speaker+kit puts me different bracket for speakers that might take me beyond what the Q150+kit would do. maybe.

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #112,129 of 151,654

KEF Q150 Upgrade Kit

Though, it seems a bit silly to pay more for the upgrades, than the current cost of the speakers...! 🤪

Still, I'm glad to hear your new desktop system has exceeded your expectations. Well done...! :grinning:
GR research LGK 2.0 might make for an interesting desktop system with the Gj

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #112,130 of 151,654
X2HR’s have arrived! Decided I’m going to keep them in the box for now until I clean up my listening space because I absolutely despise the idea of a crap ton of dust going onto the pads 😂

The headphone looks beautiful as hell though. 😊IMG_4992.jpeg
Hopefully those will use some of the cables I sent. :)

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #112,131 of 151,654
Yes I happened to see GR Research's kit and maybe if I was putting these elswhere...but $800 for the speaker+kit puts me different bracket for speakers that might take me beyond what the Q150+kit would do. maybe.

I kind'a want to pick up a pair of Q150's, since they're now on sale at $299. But, I don't think I'd spring for the GR Research upgrade. I'd rather mod it myself, using Mundorf capacitors, and save a few hundred dollars...! :grinning:

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #112,132 of 151,654
In anticipation of the Gjallahorn arriving tomorrow I ordered a pair of banana plug cables which arrived yesterday. When I go to insert the plug into the speaker (image from internet for this speaker AV123 ELT525M, not from my speaker directly)

posts.jpg

one of the 4 speaker posts will not fully accept any of the 8 plugs on either cable. Any of the 8 plugs can be fully inserted into the 3 other posts.

If I loosen the cap, there is a hole thru the post and the banana plug will fit in it. Prior to me actually trying this out tomorrow night, is this an acceptable way to insert the plug or should I snip off the plug, expose some wire, put the wire thru the hole and tighten the cap?

I have seen on the internet where someone had the same issue and used a drill bit to slightly widen the hole but i don't think that is a good idea. I have tried multiple times to insert the banana plug(s) and cannot get it to seat all the way in

Thanks, q

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #112,133 of 151,654
Why have I not heard of Esquivel before this morning?
Esquivel is a trip on its own, for when you’re feeling weird. When we go to the beach we generally have an afternoon at the pool that usually starts with the theme from A Summer Place (left out Percy Sledge there) and move on to Esquivel and weird lounge tracks. Love it. Qobuz has a great Ultra Lounge collection.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #112,134 of 151,654
X2HR’s have arrived! Decided I’m going to keep them in the box for now until I clean up my listening space because I absolutely despise the idea of a crap ton of dust going onto the pads 😂

The headphone looks beautiful as hell though. 😊IMG_4992.jpeg
Congratulations 👏 on your purchase

I really like my Philips 3XRs... now I need to dig them out again!

FWIW, it is easier to make the Philips sound good on almost anything whereas the HD6XX ideally need tubes to sound their best.

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #112,135 of 151,654
In anticipation of the Gjallahorn arriving tomorrow I ordered a pair of banana plug cables which arrived yesterday. When I go to insert the plug into the speaker (image from internet for this speaker AV123 ELT525M, not from my speaker directly)

posts.jpg

one of the 4 speaker posts will not fully accept any of the 8 plugs on either cable. Any of the 8 plugs can be fully inserted into the 3 other posts.

If I loosen the cap, there is a hole thru the post and the banana plug will fit in it. Prior to me actually trying this out tomorrow night, is this an acceptable way to insert the plug or should I snip off the plug, expose some wire, put the wire thru the hole and tighten the cap?

I have seen on the internet where someone had the same issue and used a drill bit to slightly widen the hole but i don't think that is a good idea. I have tried multiple times to insert the banana plug(s) and cannot get it to seat all the way in

Thanks, q
I think… and I could be wrong (maybe someone with more expertise could chime in) …but the acceptable way to insert banana plugs into speakers is to loosen the nut first. Then insert the banana plug, then tighten nut. That’s what I did with my Elac speakers that have a 5 way binding post.

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #112,136 of 151,654
KEF Q150 Upgrade Kit

Curious he didn't show the KEF crossover. Would have liked to have seen the 'super cheesey' parts. Firm believer in cross-over upgrades (GR-Research or DIY ( @StimpyWan )) and at the price point of the Q150, it makes peeling it apart, less intimidating. You could invest in the Q150 today, and plan a crossover upgrade later when bored and/or curious or time and funds permit!

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #112,137 of 151,654
I think… and I could be wrong (maybe someone with more expertise could chime in) …but the acceptable way to insert banana plugs into speakers is to loosen the nut first. Then insert the banana plug, then tighten nut. That’s what I did with my Elac speakers that have a 5 way binding post.
I have tried that. With the nut in any position, fully tight, fully loose, partially loose, the plug cannot be inserted all the way. I don't have a tool to measure the minute difference in the size of the hole.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #112,138 of 151,654
Good to see you, Doc!

My takeaway from the article is that just as one should not purchase real estate near a busy airport, one should not purchase real estate near a proper distillery. :smile_cat:
Unless they are thirsty... 🍼 😋 😜 🤣 😉

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #112,139 of 151,654
I kind'a want to pick up a pair of Q150's, since they're now on sale at $299. But, I don't think I'd spring for the GR Research upgrade. I'd rather mod it myself, using Mundorf capacitors, and save a few hundred dollars...! :grinning:
I have a set o treefiddies I keep thinking I should upgrade the internals, but they sound so great as-is. :heart_eyes:

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #112,140 of 151,654

Users who are viewing this thread

Back