Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 2, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #112,171 of 149,496
I have tried with a decent amount of pressure, afraid that the plug will bend if i apply any more. Will try to get some leverage, maybe a quick spritz of deoxit to grease it up

From what everyone's saying, it sounds like that binding post is defective and wasn't machined properly. Too shallow(check depth with toothpick?), too narrow or both. Inserted partially may be sufficient(?) or you could remove the banana and use it bare wire. Replacing the post is an option but may be more effort than it's worth. (Drilling it out you risk spinning the post and removing any plating.)

(my .02 cents)

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #112,172 of 149,496
Amorphis - Not female fronted, but awesome metal. These guys are from Finland too, and a lot of there music takes inspiration from the Kalevala... Their older stuff is more hard edged, but the last three albums (to me at least) have a more wide appeal. Some of the vocals are harsh/growls. Don't let that out you off. SUggest "Brother and Sister" as a great intro track to the band, from their Queen of Time album.
+1 for Amorphis.

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #112,173 of 149,496
Received my Rekkr shipping notice today. Woohoo! Corpus to Dallas should not take more than a couple of days. 😃

Mar 2, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #112,174 of 149,496
Received my Rekkr shipping notice today. Woohoo! Corpus to Dallas should not take more than a couple of days. 😃
Here's you're tracking info. Might be a slight delay with current DFW weather -

RIP.png

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #112,175 of 149,496
Some may think you jest, but us Texans know this is highly probable this time of year. If it ultimately routes via the Coppell USPS distribution center (aka 'The Postal Black Hole'), I may not see it until sometime after Christmas. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #112,181 of 149,496
guess i'm stuck in 1983 (for now) :ksc75smile: but somehow using a multibit DAC with technology surprisingly advanced for that era.
I tend to use all formats, my vinyl has never sounded so good. All things are relative and if a media sounds better now than previous years, why not? 🤪🤪 I had my first turntable and audio system in 1963, it is fun for me to go back in time. Those were the days of small amps and efficient speakers. All my life’s a circle. Maybe small amps are due for a comeback? You cannot go home again, but sometimes it is fun to try.😉

I mixed in a little Harry Chapin and Thomas Wolfe but I hope that was obvious.🤔

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #112,182 of 149,496
I tend to use all formats, my vinyl has never sounded so good. All things are relative and if a media sounds better now than previous years, why not? 🤪🤪 I had my first turntable and audio system in 1963, it is fun for me to go back in time. Those were the days of small amps and efficient speakers. All my life’s a circle. Maybe small amps are due for a comeback? You cannot go home again, but sometimes it is fun to try.😉

I mixed in a little Harry Chapin and Thomas Wolfe but I hope that was obvious.🤔
Home is the place you grew up wanting to leave because you'd "outgrown" it. But as we get older we find ourselves wanting to return. Play something memorable from '63 and listen as your heels click in time with the music. I bet they stop after three clicks and you can hear your voice saying...

Well...You know, my friend. To our lady, AudioGal. :beerchug:
Say goodnight toad, "Goodnight, toad".

Mar 3, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #112,183 of 149,496
I plan on using my son's to prove that the carefully and scientifically researched placement of various colors of M&Ms (plain and peanut) atop the Q150s with and without alignment with the Constellation Pleiades (representing the perfection of the Cosmos via the number 7) shifting the locations and mixing both plain and peanut (NO Reeses allowed!) at exact intervals based upon GMT verification. 'n' sheit.

I will of course not be eating the M&Ms my self as I am married and they are forbidden to all males of the family being pacifically reserved for women, i.e. my spousal unit, daughter and granddaughter.

I fully expect that this study will require pounds and pounds of M&Ms due to their brief lifespan as "audio enhancers" and must be removed and refreshed/replenished on the 1/4hour (GMT) with new ones for at least a week. My wife showed me the official email from the Dept. of Audio saying so.

Mar 3, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #112,184 of 149,496
Woah, I'm jealous. Since I'm from Chile, I guess the only chance to watch Virgil live was when he was the drummer in the Steve Vai band. But IIRC, Steve didn't toured South America during that period.

There's another fantastic australian musician -that I didn't mention in my long post- called Brett Garsed. He is an amazing guitar player. His style is rock fusion for the most part. He made a couple of albums with another killer player called T.J. Helmerich, and they complemented each other extremely well cause Brett's style is heavily legato oriented, while Helmerich approach is basically 8-finger tapping the whole time (pretty similar to Stanley Jordan style).

The albums were they played together are called Quid Pro Quo and Exempt in case you are interested.

Agree with the Brett Garsed sentimient too!
I can't remember where I first saw him play, but I think it was as the guitarist in John Farnhams band on his tours in the 80's and 90's. I remember being very impressed. If you can find a track called "When the war is over" off the Whispering Jack album, there is a terrific guitar solo from Brett.

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #112,185 of 149,496
In anticipation of the Gjallahorn arriving tomorrow I ordered a pair of banana plug cables which arrived yesterday. When I go to insert the plug into the speaker (image from internet for this speaker AV123 ELT525M, not from my speaker directly)

one of the 4 speaker posts will not fully accept any of the 8 plugs on either cable. Any of the 8 plugs can be fully inserted into the 3 other posts.

If I loosen the cap, there is a hole thru the post and the banana plug will fit in it. Prior to me actually trying this out tomorrow night, is this an acceptable way to insert the plug or should I snip off the plug, expose some wire, put the wire thru the hole and tighten the cap?

I have seen on the internet where someone had the same issue and used a drill bit to slightly widen the hole but i don't think that is a good idea. I have tried multiple times to insert the banana plug(s) and cannot get it to seat all the way in

Thanks, q
I have bumped into this one a few times when I was selling Hi Fi -Check that the little mushroom shaped tip on the plug - is it the type that pushes in and expands the contacts on the plug ? if so , gently tease out the tip a little - .
Most banana plugs are 4mm but 5mm and 6mm also exist as do sockets , I like the 'leaf type ' banana plugs that fit pretty much any thing , double check that a blanking plug has not been left in the socket as a lot of European loudspeakers and amps are shipped with 4 mm plastic rods in the sockets - Dont ask me why!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back