Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 3, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #112,202 of 149,495
...and in the post immediately previous provides the cause of your anxiety. The power button holds your salvation. Marilyn Manson at 108 dB? :confounded: The mind reels.

I have a long-standing preference for sealed designs or dipoles as well. My current speakers are sealed, the Apogee Stages previous to these were dipoles, and my first "real" speakers were sealed. My first speakers ever, JBL from an appliance store, were ported, and when pushed hard I could hear the ports chuffing. I sometimes pushed them that hard on purpose: the chuffing proved I had them turned up to eleven.
(I wish that I hadn't turned it up to eleven as often as I did back when I was young and dumb... :) )

I need to say that, in my experience, not every ported loudspeaker "chuffs". The B&W 804s do not make funny port noises, in any volume regime that I've run them in.
Now that I have a pair of RELs, I do find that the 804s "sound better" with the port plugs in place. YMMV, of course.

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #112,203 of 149,495
I need to say that, in my experience, not every ported loudspeaker "chuffs". The B&W 804s do not make funny port noises, in any volume regime that I've run them in.
Now that I have a pair of RELs, I do find that the 804s "sound better" with the port plugs in place. YMMV, of course.
I think that part of of it maybe where the port is tuned.

My Virgo 2's port is tuned for 27Hz. I can not hear any port artifacts.

My Sierra's 2EX V2's port is tuned for 45Hz. I can hear it from time to time, that may be due to a nasty room mode at 45Hz.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #112,204 of 149,495
guess i'm stuck in 1983 (for now) :ksc75smile: but somehow using a multibit DAC with technology surprisingly advanced for that era.
I totally agree that (well recorded and mastered) CDs played through Yggy can easily rival the sonic quality of most streaming services, and can come very close in reproduction to that of a pure analog chain. So I don't mind being stuck in '83, either, as long as I have my Yggy...

I will say that the little LOCO Mk.2 has positively transformed the sound of my analog source chain; the more I listen, the more that I'm pulled in to the music. Constantly hearing things in familiar recordings that sound new, because they were never properly resolved by my previous setup.

I am working to curate a "Source Shoot-out" - LP vs CD vs Streaming (internet) vs Streaming (local FLAC). I need to ensure that I have the same recordings in each format; Steely Dan's Aja will probably be my first target album (because I already have the media). Level matching will be critical; I will need to set that up off-line before my son arrives for his next visit in mid-April. Will report out when we get 'er done!

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #112,205 of 149,495
I totally agree that (well recorded and mastered) CDs played through Yggy can easily rival the sonic quality of most streaming services, and can come very close in reproduction to that of a pure analog chain. So I don't mind being stuck in '83, either, as long as I have my Yggy...

I will say that the little LOCO Mk.2 has positively transformed the sound of my analog source chain; the more I listen, the more that I'm pulled in to the music. Constantly hearing things in familiar recordings that sound new, because they were never properly resolved by my previous setup.

I am working to curate a "Source Shoot-out" - LP vs CD vs Streaming (internet) vs Streaming (local FLAC). I need to ensure that I have the same recordings in each format; Steely Dan's Aja will probably be my first target album (because I already have the media). Level matching will be critical; I will need to set that up off-line before my son arrives for his next visit in mid-April. Will report out when we get 'er done!
Hopefully you allow a few people to listen. :ksc75smile: I do not hear much difference between cd transports but turntables are another matter IMHO.

Mar 3, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #112,206 of 149,495
20230303_143254.jpg

Mar 3, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #112,208 of 149,495
I am just about to do a few more tests

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #112,210 of 149,495
The Filter

FILTER.jpg

Red - NOS 48kHz
Yellow - OS 48kHz
Blue - NOS 44.1kHz
Green - OS 44.1kHz

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #112,212 of 149,495
After what i have experienced in the last few days
(I can't mention enough how good the chain of Lyr+ + MMb2 (in NOS!) + HE-1000 Stealth sounds),
i agree with Stefan Wehmeier, Audio Optimum's chief developer, who says that the human ear doesn't hear aliasing effects, but the pre-ringing of the digital filter does.

I have quoted incorrectly. He did not say that word for word

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #112,213 of 149,495
After what i have experienced in the last few days
(I can't mention enough how good the chain of Lyr+ + MMb2 (in NOS!) + HE-1000 Stealth sounds),
i agree with Stefan Wehmeier, Audio Optimum's chief developer, who says that the human ear doesn't hear aliasing effects, but the pre-ringing of the digital filter does.
That may be so for some people. For me, every time I listened to the mmb2 with NOS I find high frequencies carrying an edge - trumpet, violin.

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #112,214 of 149,495
Which sample rate?

Yes, it is interesting how different the perception is.
I find the NOS mode more pleasant when it is basically sharp and pointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back