Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 23, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #6,093 of 153,435
Car audio head unit.

(with the switch on the back
etysmile.gif
)

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #6,094 of 153,435
A small speaker power amp. One the size of Modi/Magni (Schiit Mæla) and/or a series sized to sit on top of Asgard/Valhalla/Lyr so that it doesn't cover the vents/tube area; one solid state (Schiit Njord), one tube (Schiit Laerad). Simple, no volume control, fed from the line out of the amps, and a pair of speaker posts (although a set of XLRs would be nice also, maybe micro XLR?), on/off switch, maybe a gain switch. The Shiit Mæla will have aluminum case because it can only pair with the Magni Uber or the coming Vali Uber see below.

Vali 2 and Vali 2 Uber. Please. Preamp out on the Uber, natch.

Tube Ragnarok, end game tube headphone/speaker amp, Schiit Vimur

Gen 3 USB ported to Bifrost/Gungnir.

Upgraded stick-on feet :) Uber Fótr

Uber version of Wyrd, only change: cosmetic. Aluminum cover to match the Modi/Magni Uber and better match the rest of the line up, sold as an upgrade part also. Schiit Sindri
This can be extended to the SYS, Mani, and Loki as sales and demand allow.

Mæla - to speak.

Njord - From the Old Norse Njörðr, which was possibly derived from the Indo-European root *ner meaning "strong, vigourous".

Laerad - the great tree that is around were Valhalla was built.

Vimur - the largest of the Elivagar Rivers, which were formed at the beginning of the world.

Fótr - foot.

Sindri - Possibly means either "small, trivial" or else "sparkling" in Old Norse.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #6,095 of 153,435
I'm waiting for Jason to announce a wifi receiver chip that one gets implanted in one's head for the reception of lossles music streamed from any source device. If you don't make it from the surgical procedure you go to Valhalla when you punch out. No, I will not be an early adopter lab rat. Got to love that alien tech.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #6,096 of 153,435
Bifrost/Asgard sized stereo amp would be nice indeed. Only reason I'm holding on to my crappyish computer speakers is waiting for the Schiit stereo amp to come out. Then I'll be able to grab some decent passive speakers to go with it.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #6,097 of 153,435

Uber version of Wyrd, only change: cosmetic. Aluminum cover to match the Modi/Magni Uber and better match the rest of the line up,

if you want a Wyrd Uber in terms of sound quality impact instead of cosmetic matching, UpTone Audio Regen (USB) is replacing my Wyrd into Gungnir.

Regen retains a deep sound stage, whereas I felt Wyrd brought all elements (especially backing vocals) more to the front.
initial Regen listens amongst many folks revealed the music sounding "louder" (without amp knob moving) but after measurements the audio is not louder, just clearer!  details delivered at lower volume was quite amazing.  bass definition and impact also better than Wyrd (to my HE-560).

Regen is opening the (USB) window to allow the DAC to perform clearer.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #6,098 of 153,435
  As a veteran of the car audio world, IMO Schiit would be complete fools to go there in 2015.  In 1995, sure, but today it's a death sentence.

Most newer vehicles are coming with things that 10 years ago was only available through the aftermarket. Remote starts, Sub woofers, component speakers etc. I used to install as well and still have friends that do, most of the time when people upgrade their head units its because they want the doodads that schiit generally does not venture into. Bluetooth, Navigation, Ipod connectivity etc. Everything about a vehicle is wrong any subjective listening. road noise, engine noise, things vibrate, speaker placement is usually not optimal. you are sitting to the left and not in the sweet spot. Yes you can make car audio sound good, But I agree unless Jason learned some space age tech while on his vacation in Mars. the aftermarket audio industry does not seem like a fit. Pioneer introduced the "premier" series years ago with an upgraded dac which was supposed to give you better quality sound but people bough it for the fancy OLED display and ill be honest unless you entirely tore out the existing audio and started from scratch with power and new proper speaker cables and speakers there was barely if any improvement to be heard. tweets and mids are pointing at your feet or at the windshield, if you had a sub it just made sure you knew what needed dynamat and what your forgot to screw back in properly.  You get the point of my ramblings tough sell now. Its a doodad market unless you go all in.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #6,099 of 153,435
You read it here first, folks. Schiit toasters and car door handles on the way! :D

Actually it would be cool to have something like a schiitt paperweight...

One that can be placed on top of unit to exclaim the glory of Schiit.
Edit:
Hey howabouta lil schiit pen with a lazer light that can shine a schiit emblem on wall?

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #6,100 of 153,435
  Aanalog to digital to analog - what's the point?

Most HT receivers and pre/pros do that now.  Analog inputs are digitized to allow DSP, EQ, switching, even volume control in the digital domain, then back to analog to feed the amps.  Devices like the miniDSP or Velodyne's bass management boxes do that as well: analog in - digital for DSP - analog out.  Some cheap EQs use the same trick (I'm looking at you Behringer.)

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #6,101 of 153,435

I'd really dig a Schiit speaker amp - stereo or monoblocks - but that won't be in the Asgard/Bifrost case 'cuz  there isn't room for the transformers and other big components.

Unless you expect Schiit to go Class D, and I want to be there to see Jason's reaction when you suggest it, with camera so the resulting carnage can be posted to YewToob...
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #6,102 of 153,435
  A small speaker power amp. One the size of Modi/Magni (Schiit Mæla) and/or a series sized to sit on top of Asgard/Valhalla/Lyr so that it doesn't cover the vents/tube area; one solid state (Schiit Njord), one tube (Schiit Laerad). Simple, no volume control, fed from the line out of the amps, and a pair of speaker posts (although a set of XLRs would be nice also, maybe micro XLR?), on/off switch, maybe a gain switch. The Shiit Mæla will have aluminum case because it can only pair with the Magni Uber or the coming Vali Uber see below.

Vali 2 and Vali 2 Uber. Please. Preamp out on the Uber, natch.

Tube Ragnarok, end game tube headphone/speaker amp, Schiit Vimur

Gen 3 USB ported to Bifrost/Gungnir.

Upgraded stick-on feet :) Uber Fótr

Uber version of Wyrd, only change: cosmetic. Aluminum cover to match the Modi/Magni Uber and better match the rest of the line up, sold as an upgrade part also. Schiit Sindri
This can be extended to the SYS, Mani, and Loki as sales and demand allow.

Mæla - to speak.

Njord - From the Old Norse Njörðr, which was possibly derived from the Indo-European root *ner meaning "strong, vigourous".

Laerad - the great tree that is around were Valhalla was built.

Vimur - the largest of the Elivagar Rivers, which were formed at the beginning of the world.

Fótr - foot.

Sindri - Possibly means either "small, trivial" or else "sparkling" in Old Norse.

I think he is addicted to Schiit. While every one is creating a wish list, A Larger sys would be nice for those weirdos like me that would like multiple inputs say 4 to be able Plug In a DAC, Phono Preamp maybe even a radio tuner. But say two switchable outputs so you can switch between lets say your headphone amp and preamp which will go to your (redacted)... Um I mean power amp. Also A/B comparisons would be cake.  Yeah I know nothing exciting that requires training from ET. Splitters clutter the back of a desk and It would be nice to have your signal path is isolated from other components. Sounds like the way audio used to be but I prefer individual components so i can change the things that i want to while keeping the pieces that that need to be.
Side note, Imagine the horror when people see my ,main setup has a tube preamp (valhalla2) and only 2 speakers. No fancy screens or dolby super duper sound etc. I like the schiit methodology of keeping things separate because that is the way i like things. But as they introduce more products that are obscuring the lines of headphone gear and 2ch gear a more robust way to make them play together would be well received by this guy.

Bifrost/Asgard sized stereo amp would be nice indeed. Only reason I'm holding on to my crappyish computer speakers is waiting for the Schiit stereo amp to come out. Then I'll be able to grab some decent passive speakers to go with it.

A solid clean power amp with a switch in the back and just a power indicator up front ,in the asgard form factor or even a Modi/Magni/Vali form factor would be nice. I personally would like one however there are really good powered near field monitors and unless you go for bookshelf speakers the desktop sized passive speaker selection is slim. I am running passives now for my desktop setup. (not meant to hi jack) centrance masterclasses or definitely worth looking into. I am using a Magni 2 U because it has preamp outs but no schiit power amp so I went with a pro-ject box s because its is about the same width as the schiit M/M combo and slightly deeper. Also it was just an amp and nothing else.Many of the desktop sized components are all in ones and I don't want that. So the market for desktop sized power amps with out a bunch of stuff built in does not seem to be saturated but the problem is book shelf speakers are to big for a desk and not really near field and passive near fields sized for a desks are slim. A conundrum if you ask me but then again Schiit now has a phono preamp which was unexpected in a digital world and would seem to be a dying market , The Mani was out of stock for a while so the demand was definitely there. ( i will be getting one once i get a TurnTable).

I am sure Jason and the team has their fingers on the pulse of the Market. I am just happy to see the yggy has been released and i really enjoy reading about how it came to be what it is.Congratulations Mike, Jason and the Schiit team. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back