Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #6,121 of 153,435
  Relieved isn't exactly the word I'd be using to describe how one feels after aliens are done probing someone from Schiit.

No wonder he enjoyed himself
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #6,124 of 153,435
So when is Toaster 1.0 going to be released and what is the upgrade path to Toaster 2.0?

Anyway, I tried Tidal and found the interface to be poor. So I cancelled it. I wish them luck. Heck, I wish Pono luck, although I don't want one. I have purchased a bunch of stuff from HDTracks and frankly, I don't see much difference between them and Pono store. It is all becoming too much work. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #6,125 of 153,435
I for one wouldn’t mind front panel indicators showing the current source resolution on all the DACs / future upgrades. I have tracks in 16/44, 16/48, 16/88, 24/88, etc. etc. and it would be great to be able to see what res is playing without waking up the computer to read the screen... I don't care what tech is used, just so there's a visual indicator.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #6,126 of 153,435
I'm the opposite of the above.  I prefer no visual indicators at all on the front of my gear.  A small power on LED is more than enough for me and I often put tape over those.

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #6,127 of 153,435
I'm the opposite of the above.  I prefer no visual indicators at all on the front of my gear.  A small power on LED is more than enough for me and I often put tape over those.

Lol. I put tape on all of the LED indicators!!! Mono'S- Pre- Dac- Node. Etc etc

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #6,130 of 153,435
Well... I'm on a Mac. iTunes accepts non "standard" resses in files you add to your
Library, but I can't tell if it passes them on or down samples everything to 16/44. In my case I'd be happy to know what's arriving at the DAC's input vs. what is being supplied by my computer. I have other players that support everything (yes DSD) but iTunes offers a lot of services I find compelling, and I'd rather stick there if I can.

Please note, I DID NOT say it had to be bright, shiny LEDs. I just said something visual. (Although, now that I think of it, if Schiit chose smoke signals, it might send the wrong message... : )

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #6,131 of 153,435
I don't use a Mac or iTunes, but I believe the issue with iTunes is that playback resolutions have to be set manually or you won't get bit perfect playback.  

In other words, whatever you have the output set to in “Audio MIDI Setup”, that's what you get.

So if the output is set to 44.1/16, iTunes will play all music files at this resolution and, unless you change it prior to playing them, hi-res files will be down-sampled.

Alternatively, if the output is set to 96/24, all files are resampled to that rate. This is why many audiophiles use add-on software that uses iTunes for playback and database management, but overrides the OS and allows bit perfect playback by switching the output automatically depending on the music file's bit depth and resolution.  

However, some people don't mind upsampling Redbook and think it sounds better, so that may not be an issue for you.  If that's the case with you, set the output to what you want and forget it.

Here's a link to Currawong's iTunes alternatives thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/539740/mac-os-x-music-players-alternatives-to-itunes

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #6,132 of 153,435
  Relieved isn't exactly the word I'd be using to describe how one feels after aliens are done probing someone from Schiit.

On the contrary...  You do know how an enema works, don't you?

Call it brainstorming products, incorporating alien technology ala Men in Black.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #6,133 of 153,435

On the contrary...  You do know how an enema works, don't you?

Call it brainstorming products, incorporating alien technology ala Men in Black.

All that Schiit can be wiped clean by a Neuralizer.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #6,135 of 153,435

• Rewind to even before that, when Mike got the nutty idea to use the AD5791 DAC in the first place (he first brought the idea to me in 2010, shortly after the part was introduced). The AD5791 is NOT a friendly part to work with, for many reasons, including a data format that was fundamentally incompatible with audio, and an output that can include significant glitch energy.

Googling to try to remind myself what glitch energy is, I ran across this nice article about DAC performance from an Analog Devices fellow: http://www.analog.com/media/en/training-seminars/tutorials/MT-013.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back