Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 22, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #6,077 of 151,914
Apr 22, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #6,078 of 151,914
we’re taking more time, too. Deliberately. Not because we’re lazy, but because to keep things moving forward, we need to get stuff right…and we need to explore some surprising new things, from new manufacturing methods to different and unexpected technology.

For what it is worth, Jason. Your present pace is pushing my toy budget.

If you are coming out with a wife friendly device that will bridge my NAS to Yggy without a PC, it's going to be a few months before I can afford it.

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #6,079 of 151,914
  But speaking of utter deprecation, the way-too-early announcement of Ragnarok and Yggdrasil has its redeemable side, which, while however painful, exasperating and wasteful, may have been every bit worthwhile.  It gave Schiit long term marketing exposure and consumer product anticipation to a unprecedented level, making the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil your watershed products in all likelihood, and positioning your company well into prominent status as a result.  That turn of events may prove priceless.  

The hype train was running full steam. Not sure it would happen if there were no prior leaks...

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #6,080 of 151,914
I think the big thing with Tidal was that they advertised giving more money to artists than Spotify, but all those artists on stage were already multi-millionaires. You're not going to convince me to use your service by saying Nicki Minaj needs more money, sorry.

Also, having used Tidal for a few months I can say it hardly sounds any better than Spotify (high quality streaming) on any of my setups and a lot of the hip-hop albums I wanted to listen to only had the clean version available. I think their strategy of relying on artist exclusives will backfire. Not to mention I feel like service-exclusive music is just anti-music in general, at that point it is 100% about money and not at all about sharing music with people.

Regarding the Rag and Yggy, on the bright side, people may have held off on purchasing other amps in that price-tier to wait for them. Purely speculation, but a possible bright side.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #6,081 of 151,914
  Regarding the Rag and Yggy, on the bright side, people may have held off on purchasing other amps in that price-tier to wait for them. Purely speculation, but a possible bright side.

I definitely did. I was gonna buy a Gungnir because Yggy was taking so long, until I started getting rumblings that it was on its way for real.  Mind you, if Jason kept his mouth shut, maybe I'd own two Schiit DACs by now... or, maybe I just would have bought the used Thetas on eBay @purrin was talking about and called it a day.

Anyway, all this Yggdrasil hype got me to wait it out, and choose a Ragnarok to go with it.  Can't wait to hear them myself.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #6,082 of 151,914
   maybe I just would have bought the used Thetas on eBay @purrin was talking about and called it a day.

There are used Thetas left?  Of the appropriate model?  Maybe once the Yggy starts shipping.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #6,084 of 151,914

Of course there aren't.  'ts why I was going to get a Gungnir to hold me over 'til this mystical Yggdrasil showed itself.  Lucky for me, I held out long enough.

Sorry to fail at irony detection...I never even checked Theta listings, by the time I clued in it was sure to be too late.  Here's hoping there are some Theta price declines (sorry).

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #6,085 of 151,914
  OK:
- Car audio
- CD player

I for one would love to see a stripped down car head unit that lacks the 'features' that get in the away of good sound.  For instance:  An external amp is crucial for good sound, and Bluetooth sucks (you'll want to charge your phone or DAP anyway).  They tend to have lousy DACs, but a good DAP can take care of that anyhow.

I can't see them producing either product you've mentioned though.  I would personally love to see a decent analogue to digital encoder that doesn't cost a crapload.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #6,086 of 151,914
As a veteran of the car audio world, IMO Schiit would be complete fools to go there in 2015.  In 1995, sure, but today it's a death sentence.

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #6,088 of 151,914
I'd settle for a powered USB 2.0 A(f) to Coaxial BNC(f) S/PDIF converter that would allow for charging and listening to a mobile device that works with all the mobile platforms. Should fit in a small chassis or even a new mini chassis.
(Doubt that's even possible but it would be sweet, it would be awesome for shows too
wink_face.gif
. ) I'm sure Tony mentioned the tablets...

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #6,089 of 151,914
Maybe a little out there, here's something I'd like to see:

An 8 or 10 band parametric equalizer with three-way selection/flash-storage for those who like to mix and match headphones with their type of music, or just like to switch things around.

The freq controls would be jeweler-screwdriver accessable with a recessed SET button to store the settings in flash memory. No clumsey (or children's) finger to screw up the settings.

A 3-way slide or toggle on the front, or a 3-position DIP switch on the back, would allow setting for headphones #1, #2 or #3.

A switch on the back (or the front, whatever), would bypass the equalizer to flat to A/B your settings.

A balance control, for those people (like me) whose hearing is better in one ear than the other.

The back panel would have RCA in AND out, so that a second unit could be used if more than three headphones will be used (a distinct possibility with this crowd). The bypass switch would have to be set to ON in order to use a second unit.

It should sell for about $200.00; not quite an impulse purchase by any means, but still affordable.

Arvid

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #6,090 of 151,914
Maybe a little out there, here's something I'd like to see:

An 8 or 10 band parametric equalizer with three-way selection/flash-storage for those who like to mix and match headphones with their type of music, or just like to switch things around.

The freq controls would be jeweler-screwdriver accessable with a recessed SET button to store the settings in flash memory. No clumsey (or children's) finger to screw up the settings.

A 3-way slide or toggle on the front, or a 3-position DIP switch on the back, would allow setting for headphones #1, #2 or #3.

A switch on the back (or the front, whatever), would bypass the equalizer to flat to A/B your settings.

A balance control, for those people (like me) whose hearing is better in one ear than the other.

The back panel would have RCA in AND out, so that a second unit could be used if more than three headphones will be used (a distinct possibility with this crowd). The bypass switch would have to be set to ON in order to use a second unit.

It should sell for about $200.00; not quite an impulse purchase by any means, but still affordable.

Arvid

An ADC and a DAC with DSP in a small box. Not sure that's realistically a $200 standalone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back