Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 4, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #54,273 of 150,808
AWD would be a killer, err.. lifesaver feature in the winter. I’ll probably switch to a V60 plug-in hybrid with AWD when we make some kids.
back in the early '90s I had the last of the Ford Taurus SHO's-considered it the American BMW 6 speed leather great sound system -I even put in a Pioneer 6 disc changer in the trunk and would go zero to 70+mph in 3rd gear never crossed the red line!!

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #54,274 of 150,808
back in the early '90s I had the last of the Ford Taurus SHO's-considered it the American BMW 6 speed leather great sound system -I even put in a Pioneer 6 disc changer in the trunk and would go zero to 70+mph in 3rd gear never crossed the red line!!

My first car was an 88 Taurus. It had exactly zero of the qualities you are reminiscing about..... I won't waste time elaborating on all of the Ls that car had.

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #54,275 of 150,808
Hey Jason, is the preamp thunderdome over? Are all the preamps staying? Freya+ atill the runaway winner?

Yep, I thought I covered this before. The Freya+ and Saga+ are staying. The Freya S and Saga S will be sold until we run out of them.

Some speculation ahead.

Im thinking that there is some kind of algorithm they use to determine shipping rates. Based upon value of the item, plus size, plus weight, plus shape, and distance. I think Schiit might also be adding a minimal processing and handling charge as well.

I play around with adding items to my cart from time to time, and I'm often confused by the pricing. Seems like shipping rates for single items has increased a bit, but grouped items hasn't increased by the same amount.

Yes, we use an API from a third party to calculate shipping rates. The rates vary. Especially around this time of year. We have no control over the rates.

Any update on the RCA add-in cards? Haven't seen them restocked in a while. Personally I would like to remove a sys from my system with a add-in card.

We should be able to bring these back soon. Maybe. We'll see.

@Jason Stoddard -- Amazon has the Saga v1.0 for $349 and a $50 off coupon, so net is $299 (and the seller is Schiit, BTW). I thought Schiit had gone through the Saga v1.0 inventory, so if I buy the Amazon Saga v1.0, will I get a Saga+ instead? :wink:

I guess you'd get an old Saga. We found a few more of them, I guess. Best to ask orders@schiit.com.

Interesting developments going on over at ASR. Looks like someone from Schiit reached out to Amir to send him some new gear to test.

Yep, Tyler decided to send them some gear. I'm fine with it, we send gear to pretty much every reviewer.

With the belt slippage issues on the Sol, why not turn a grove into the outer edge of the platter?

There aren't any belt slippage issues anymore that I know about. We are getting ready to re-launch soon.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 4, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #54,276 of 150,808
My first car was an 88 Taurus. It had exactly zero of the qualities you are reminiscing about..... I won't waste time elaborating on all of the Ls that car had.
@Rensek sorry to hear that--I'll go one better in the early '70s I bought my wife an MGC(with austin healey 3000 engine AND a borg warner AUTOMATIC! transmission only one of 9 imported to USA) had lucas electronics(the Prince of Darkness) and paper oil filters(she only let me drive it once to work on the Garden State Parkway did it ever swerve with that heavy engine) and someone stole just one of those tall tail lights cost 70$ to replace at rally motors in upper montclair (that was a fortune in 1976)
best bobbmd

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #54,278 of 150,808
Excellent! The original Saga is excellent and the tube goodness (and tube rolling fun) that it delivers will live on as Saga+.

A return to profitably priced LISST's to pacify the "I am curious "S" crowd? Probably not but...why not outsource the manufacturing of them as Schiit does with their vacuum tubes.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #54,280 of 150,808
I am very happy I grabbed a LISST when I bought my original saga. Great to have in and avoid tubes being used when doing casual listening, or breaking speakers in, or when you want to leave the gear on all day.

I’ve got the original Saga in my tv-setup. LISST-tube is a must-have.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #54,281 of 150,808
@Jason Stoddard In previous chapters of your "book" you mentioned that Freya S uses transistors that are match/graded then re-reeled for installation onto the PCB. Are matched parts stocked for future warranty repairs, or will it be supported via spare complete PCB's? In other words, if a Freya S breaks down maybe 8 years from now, will I be able to get it repaired?

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #54,282 of 150,808
@Jason Stoddard In previous chapters of your "book" you mentioned that Freya S uses transistors that are match/graded then re-reeled for installation onto the PCB. Are matched parts stocked for future warranty repairs, or will it be supported via spare complete PCB's? In other words, if a Freya S breaks down maybe 8 years from now, will I be able to get it repaired?

Easily. It uses the same parts we use in Ragnarok and Jotunheim R.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 4, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #54,283 of 150,808
I am very happy I grabbed a LISST when I bought my original saga. Great to have in and avoid tubes being used when doing casual listening, or breaking speakers in, or when you want to leave the gear on all day.

The LISST was discontinued before I managed to buy one so my Saga only gets to use tubey tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back