Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 2, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #54,226 of 150,549
Anyone else's email alerts stop working?

Yes. For a several weeks, maybe even over a month, I have been receiving them sporadically or not at all.

Addendum: I wondered. Usually in my experience problems like turn out to be "between the monitor and the keyboard." But since at least one other person has an issue, I sent a message to Head-Fi.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #54,228 of 150,549
This is not directly related to Schiit but will likely end up using some of their equipment. My cousin loves to listen to music but due to a degenerative disease he has lost a goodly portion of his eyesight and can no longer read CD cases to select his music. He can see well enough to navigate on the large iPad he has though. What would be the least expensive option for storing his CD’s that would allow him to select them via his iPad and then connect to his stereo? I was thinking of the Schiit Modi for the DAC but the only solution for the storage that I’m familiar with is to use a Mac mini. That’s a bit much for his budget, are there more economical choices out there?

Thank you and best holiday wishes to all.
Ray

What's your (his) budget?

How about a BlueNode Vault -- it will read his CDs, store them internally, and via the iPad app he can play them.

Or any streaming solution...?

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #54,231 of 150,549
This was really a discussion about cars and psychology but since you asked: Focus ST
I was gonna say you were either a Focus or Golf man. :grin:

Hot hatches are life.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #54,232 of 150,549
Just sold my Focus ST. Loved it but needed something bigger. So I bought an Edge ST. Not the same but better than a minivan.

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #54,233 of 150,549
Anyone else's email alerts stop working?

Mine have been very sporadic for some time now. Sometimes I get them -- often times I do not. Checked SPAM folder and nothing there from HF.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #54,234 of 150,549
Just sold my Focus ST. Loved it but needed something bigger. So I bought an Edge ST. Not the same but better than a minivan.

I really wanted an RS, but I wasn't going to pay the RS tax...

I ended up getting a killer deal on an AWD Hyundai Kona, not as peppy as an ST or RS, however it's not awful and has an amazing warranty for a DD...

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #54,235 of 150,549
You could measure outdoors too! When Linkwitz was looking for low distortion dynamic drivers for his dipole designs, that’s what he did.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/mid_dist.htm

Those are midrange drivers driven above 115dB SPL at 150 Hz and 800 Hz. It’s interesting to see that the best midrange at the very challenging 150Hz signal (due to the large excursion needed for its relatively small cone area) had distortion products some 50dB below the main signal, and that performance is bested by the driver he ultimately chose for his follow-on speaker, and no doubt has been bettered a bit today by newer drivers. He’s done similar burst testing for tweeters too.
Wouldn't know how to deal with non linear ambient noise and wind noise outdoors. Have read that before, but I have no clue how they manage that. Maybe in the middle of Australian outback? :ksc75smile:

Dec 2, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #54,236 of 150,549
For my spouse, it's tattoos. Custom work. Oh, and fiction! Cue Moxy Fruvus!!! {{{and ignore the fate of their creepy frontman :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:}}}}}}}

BTW - I like to think their album Bargainville was a *detailed, audiophile-quality, Hi-Fidelity product*. I enjoy it on headphones, being fed by my Vali 2, eh.:flag_ca::flag_ca::flag_ca:

Ah, another Fruvous fan! They put on a great live show, too. Tight rhythms, good harmony, and a lot of energy and fun. A lot of their shows have achieved cloud-immortality on the Live Music Archive: https://archive.org/details/MoxyFruvous, including a show I taped back in the day (https://archive.org/details/mfruvous1995-10-24). I had the honor of being the "seed" on an old 90's tradition of a "tape tree" (https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mleone/gdead/faq/tape-trees.html) on that one. Check out the stereo imaging in "Spider Man" as the singer leaps around the in the crowd while singing, an old favorite of mine.

[as always, I give all the credit to the musicians, if I managed to get a nice recording, it was due to their skill, and only sheer luck on my part].

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #54,237 of 150,549
I was gonna say you were either a Focus or Golf man. :grin:

Hot hatches are life.

It’s no Abarth, but I got a bitchin’ Volvo C30. Had my mother’s old Toyota Starlet before that, too.

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #54,238 of 150,549
Wouldn't know how to deal with non linear ambient noise and wind noise outdoors. Have read that before, but I have no clue how they manage that. Maybe in the middle of Australian outback? :ksc75smile:

Ambient noise in Netherlands ‘round this time of year :ksc75smile:

B317C873-DD86-4F56-8E35-81BA8E7966DD.jpeg

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #54,240 of 150,549
Raspberry Pi w/ Volumio. Works great, cheap, small...

It works, but browsing your collection is not so convenient I find. Some parts of the UI use convenient and large elements, other parts use small font by default.

It's cheap so it's worth trying, especially if the CD collection is already digitized or if somebody can help with that, and if it doesn't work out it's not a lot of money spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back