Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 22, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #53,851 of 151,077
sorry but I have far more people pm’ing me that I should post it. Ignore me and you will not see it. I am doing the same for you.
bear in mind that people who do not want to see it shall not pm you
To me, i know tinkering with all the nice stuff is your hobby which i like to see and hear about, but a dialogue about cables and their colours for several posts is pushing it imho. Those back and forward posts sounds like pm material to me. Don’t think i don’t like to hear about cable burners, i do but i just think it does marginal things compared to just burn your system in with a bit of patience. But i do like to know about the fact people do this and that it exists. Which is great for our pursuit for great sound

Nov 22, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #53,853 of 151,077
This is not easy to say, but Bill was right, about this, IMHO. :ksc75smile:

Well, you were right about the Foton burn-in thing being due to bad/degraded solder, so now we're even, right? :relaxed:

Now let's talk about fuses.

(j/k.....honestly)

I *am* loving my Bifrost 2. New and cold out of the box it sounded quite good, but after a few days of play time and on time it's opened up and really started to sing. Me happy. :smile:

Nov 22, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #53,854 of 151,077
Well, you were right about the Foton burn-in thing being due to bad/degraded solder, so now we're even, right? :relaxed:

Now let's talk about fuses.

(j/k.....honestly)

I *am* loving my Bifrost 2. New and cold out of the box it sounded quite good, but after a few days of play time and on time it's opened up and really started to sing. Me happy. :smile:

The Bifrost 2 is really nice, I split time between it and the Gungnir. It and the Lyr are a really good match. Are you trying the Unison USB?

Nov 22, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #53,857 of 151,077
Too much noise is really not good. Both in audio and in the forums.
Ive stopped reading Mike Moffat’s thread since that one had became too much of a waste of time to read.

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #53,858 of 151,077
I just don't understand why there needs to be a multipage discussion on cable cooking in here vs. the Cables forum or the Sound Science forum. If there's enough interest in cable cooking, why not start a dedicated thread for it? If someone actually wanted to find info on cable cooking, wouldn't it make sense to make it easy to find instead of burying it in Schiit Happened?

I know, there are many, many, many other off-topic discussions running through here and you are far from the only one engaging in it. That doesn't mean we should add to the noise.
One persons noise is another's useful and helpful source of information.

In my opinion Sound Science is a wasteland with very little value other than corralling all those drawn to it, and very little good comes from it.

Starting up a dedicated cable cooking thread is guaranteed to be a short lived, light weight, snoozer thread, which would have far less meaning and value in total.

Lastly, these sorts of side discussions are where valuable nuggets get disseminated to a larger audience, and if they spark enough curiosity then further diving down rabbit holes can follow.
In fact I find MORE useful topics to explore in threads like this than ANY OTHER METHOD.

It's to bad that you feel so put out by others curiosity and willingness to share, and want us all to stay strictly confined by 'rules' and expectations.
I have found that these 'off topic' discussions are really useful with topics of interest that can be found far more easily and with a degree of experience behind the info that is quite welcome, especially when compared to the SS group in their own corner Way over THERE–––> where they feel they belong and should stay.

Besides it easy enough to skip these discussions by judicious use of the down arrow and it will help all those who DO find value in such discussions, myself included.

No offense intended, but trying to herd cats is an exercise in futility and while some may not see any value in any of this, I do believe there are PLENTY of folks who do spend time here just for this reason alone.

Just say'n is all.

JJ

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #53,859 of 151,077
snip…

Later today I should know results of two days of cooking a headphone cable, (the recommended cook time as pointed out by @bcowen), snip
While you have the cooker, try to cook at least a pair of balanced and a set of unbalanced cables and if it has the ac power cable adapters at least one power cable as well.
A single headphone cable may be to small of a test group to really evaluate what a cooker can deliver.

JJ

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #53,861 of 151,077
The Bifrost 2 is really nice, I split time between it and the Gungnir. It and the Lyr are a really good match. Are you trying the Unison USB?

Does anyone want to speculate about what happens to Gungnir in 2020? Unison added? Autonomy added? Analog 2 added? Other changes?

Given the breakthrough with Bifrost 2, isn't Gungnir looking ripe for a new version?

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #53,862 of 151,077
Does anyone want to speculate about what happens to Gungnir in 2020? Unison added? Autonomy added? Analog 2 added? Other changes?

Given the breakthrough with Bifrost 2, isn't Gungnir looking ripe for a new version?

I'm hoping it gets an awesome upgrade. Either that, or who knows, it may end up on the the scrap heap. Gasp! #savegungnir

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #53,863 of 151,077

I seem to browse in another forum that a new release for the Gungnir is being targetted Jan 2020. My memory isn't that good so best to check out the other website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back