Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 9, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #151,066 of 152,468
I highly recommend Scott/Diane Horstman at Backyard Observatories. They built my 10x12 Roll Off to a treat, warm room, motorized roof, etc. They build all sizes. They can even do ones with partial drop down walls (perfect for that JMI btw). I’ve the DM6 mount for alt az, and it’ll handle up to ONE C11… any more is too much IMO. It was dangerously scary with my TOA130, one reason I sold it and got the AP130 - well the real reason is because I came up after the 10 year wait and HAD to have it).

I had excellent results with my Mountain Instruments MI250, I would run C11 SBS with my Taks or AP130 no problem! Native P/E of just over 2” P/P and smooth. You might look on the used market there? Or plump for the big bucks AP’s; my neighbor had the AP1200 with a Tak Mewlon 300 mounted on it. he specialized in planetary and eclipsing binaries, etc. that was a HUGE scope.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated. I'll keep Backyard Observatories in mind. Wayne Parker's SkyShed company is not far from me (anyone remember Canadian 80's hit-makers Glass Tiger? Wayne's the bass player). Their larger SkyShed Pod domes have my eye. They now only sell the plans for roll-off roof designs, but they manufacture the configurable domes. I'm not that handy, so if I go roll-off I'll look into BO.

So many mount choices now. The Harmonnic drive designs have my eye, but I have to dig into if any can carry really heavy loads. They're a new thing too, so no data on longevity etc. AP's are on the high end of my budget (but on the list), as are 10-Micron, Software Bisque's Paramounts, Warpdrive WD-20, Avalon Instruments, etc.

Those Taks are huge, but drool-worthy!

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #151,067 of 152,468
Not a silly question at all. Cribbage is an important part of life.

Annette's are the gold pins. Look who's winning ... as usual. :)
My wife and I may try, we generally play 500 rummy each day after lunch but wins are pretty one sided in my favor. A game we can learn at the same time might help.😉

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #151,068 of 152,468
Whaaaaaat?? Producer Steve Albini died. He produced many of my favourite albums from the 90's. 61. Way too young. I've had 3 former colleagues and an old friend pass away in the past 4 months, all 61. I'm not too far off from that age myself 👀.

https://pitchfork.com/news/steve-al...-and-icon-of-the-rock-underground-dies-at-61/
George Carlin said that the first thing you do when you go to the funeral home is subtract your age from the deceased age to see on average how much time you have left.

Sounds like a rough 4 months. Sorry for all your losses.

May 9, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #151,069 of 152,468
All these old computer memories and people talking about their first PC (mine was an 8086 IBM) made me think of:

8W-9QW67umXszBs7c8VR5fRFcdk9UfQp8QWJE5HU3Nk.jpg
'Look in mailbox' :wink:

May 9, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #151,070 of 152,468
All these old computer memories and people talking about their first PC (mine was an 8086 IBM) made me think of:

Plover

May 9, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #151,071 of 152,468
At the risk of derailing the thread from the sinewave, I thought I'd share some experiences about Audio gear...
Shocking, I know :beyersmile:

Out of respect for Justin and all at Schiit, I do not usually mention other audio manufacturers, but this relates to speakers, so I hope it is not a faux pas.:fingers_crossed:

Back in 2007, I bought a used pair of active ATC speakers. They are big beasts which weigh about 130 lbs each.
I first heard some ATCs in about 1990 and was so blown away that I decided that one day, if I could afford them, I'd buy a pair.

When I bought these speakers from a PhD student at Cambridge University, they were probably already at least 15 years old.
However, the cabinets were in mint condition.

In 2015, I took the speakers to the ATC factory in Gloucestershire.
After testing, the Engineers said that the amp packs were faulty and the tweeters were damaged beyond repair.
The upshot was that I had the amp packs replaced with new ones and two drivers in each speaker were replaced- the bass and tweeter.
The mid range units still measured like new so were retained.

A few weeks ago, I noticed a small amount of distortion from one of the speakers, and it was coming from the 'soft-dome' mid range driver. Having noticed it, I couldn't 'unhear' it, especially on acoustic music and piano.

I contacted the ATC factory and arranged to take the speakers back in.

They fitted new mid range drivers while I waited.
There was a small amount of corrosion in each, which is hardly surprising as they are well over 32 years old and have survived several house moves.

I also asked ATC to check the amp packs.

These measured well, but it was suggested that they were re- calibrated and some new, longer lasting capacitors fitted , whilst they had them.

I brought the speakers home and ATC forwarded the serviced amp packs to me by courier, about 2 weeks later.

The amp packs were fitted in custom made wooden crates so that they would not get damaged in transit.

I paid a £100 fully refundable fee for the crates.

It took me a couple of hours to re-fit the amp packs. as they are quite heavy.
Each amp pack comprises three amps- 200W LF, 100W mid and 50W HF

They now sound absolutely amazing.

As the ATC engineers said, despite being 32 years old, my speakers now look and sound exactly like brand new ones, which retail at £20k here in the UK!

At £2k back in 2007 they were a great investment.

In an age where it seems almost impossible to get any form of personal customer service, it really is heartening to come across companies like ATC and Schiit who produce superb products and genuinely care about their customers.

I am a huge fan of both companies and several friends have bought products from Schiit and ATC, purely on my recommendation.

I attach some pics.

Now we can get back to computers, cats, dogs etc...:relaxed:

Attachments

• April 2024 1 of 12.JPG
    April 2024 1 of 12.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 0
  • April 2024 8 of 12.JPG
    April 2024 8 of 12.JPG
    451.8 KB · Views: 0
  • April 2024 9 of 12.JPG
    April 2024 9 of 12.JPG
    378.4 KB · Views: 0
  • April 2024 12 of 12.JPG
    April 2024 12 of 12.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #151,073 of 152,468
Many hours spent on Zork, King's Quest, and various BBS. :D

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #151,074 of 152,468
Thanks for the info - much appreciated. I'll keep Backyard Observatories in mind. Wayne Parker's SkyShed company is not far from me (anyone remember Canadian 80's hit-makers Glass Tiger? Wayne's the bass player). Their larger SkyShed Pod domes have my eye. They now only sell the plans for roll-off roof designs, but they manufacture the configurable domes. I'm not that handy, so if I go roll-off I'll look into BO.

So many mount choices now. The Harmonnic drive designs have my eye, but I have to dig into if any can carry really heavy loads. They're a new thing too, so no data on longevity etc. AP's are on the high end of my budget (but on the list), as are 10-Micron, Software Bisque's Paramounts, Warpdrive WD-20, Avalon Instruments, etc.

Those Taks are huge, but drool-worthy!
I considered the Pods, but they have one huge bug to me: You can’t use your DOB in them… and the bigger the DOB, the worse the problem. I no longer have that use case (I can just roll my dob out of my garage or back porch now), and so as a pure imaging investment I could make a POD work. Of course wifey things domes are hideous, I had my BYO observatory painted to match our house and adjacent to our old garden, thusly:

IMG_0970.jpeg
IMG_0788.jpeg

May 9, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #151,075 of 152,468
My wife and I may try, we generally play 500 rummy each day after lunch but wins are pretty one sided in my favor. A game we can learn at the same time might help.😉
Here is where we got our board. David can make any custom design. The steel pegs make a big difference. Our scoring pegs are the 2" size - much easier for old arthritic hands like we have. :)
https://www.cribbageguy.com/

May 9, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #151,076 of 152,468
Treehouse. I have never been there. A guy I do business with says he goes there with his wife to get beer and they both love it. Now I shall have to look into it more seriously.
OK, so looked up Treehouse. It's in Woodstock, maybe an hour north of me. More fun is that when I looked it up they have a bunch of locations including one right next to the Cape Cod Canal in Sandwich, MA. My wife and I take our sailboat to Maine regularly and often overnight in the little public marina at the east end of the canal. Treehouse is easy walking distance from the marina. It's now on my list!

May 9, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #151,077 of 152,468

I'm pretty sure I've still got a copy of Leisure Suit Larry someplace around here, on 5.25" floppies IIRC. I'll have to go looking for it.

:ksc75smile:
JC

May 9, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #151,078 of 152,468
Here is where we got our board. David can make any custom design. The steel pegs make a big difference. Our scoring pegs are the 2" size - much easier for old arthritic hands like we have. :)
https://www.cribbageguy.com/
I would fear having one peg hole out of alignment in making such a board so the larger the better for my accuracy. I just read how to play so I will give it some thought.🤪

Oh and yesterday we talked a bit about blood wood, here are some examples.IMG_7885.jpeg

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #151,079 of 152,468
I was not happy with the finish on this piece so I am trying again.IMG_7888.jpeg

This is more to my liking.😉

May 9, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #151,080 of 152,468

Users who are viewing this thread

Back