Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 23, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #53,881 of 149,105
@Ripper2860 consumed the world's remaining supply of double wall cardboard building a carport for his '78 AMC Pacer. So that's out. And plywood? Really? What kind of self-respecting audiophile wannabe do you take me for? I have standards, man. Low standards, but still standards. :relaxed:

You are probably not a fan of Reflector but the silver shield version I am using in the Mjolnir is coming along nicely. I do not like them as well as Amperex yet but may before long. You really have to hunt around so as not to pay $100 up per tube for the 1975 version. I forget the Russian number, 3n23p or some such.

By the way, your next photo should have the 1963 Melz in it instead of whatever Foton you are currently assessing. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #53,882 of 149,105
In my opinion Sound Science is a wasteland with very little value other than corralling all those drawn to it, and very little good comes from it.

Sounds a little like this thread.

Don't misunderstand, I am not put out or angry with all the noise. Mildly annoyed is more like it. And I know there is no chance of people changing their behaviour.

If I ever wanted to try cooking cables or wanted to talk about it, this isn't the first place I would look. There seems to be a really good, ongoing discussion on it (I only assume this from the quantity of posts as I haven't read most of them), so to me it would be logical to take that discussion somewhere dedicated to it. That's it.

I'll stop contributing to the noise about noise now.

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #53,883 of 149,105
To anyone in general and @Jason Stoddard in particular : just got email from Audirvana+3 suggesting an install of an AU plugin for MacOS from this site https://sonimus.com/products/soneq/free-downloads/
does anyone know about this and would you recommend it? would/should/could i use this in my new system Schiit Yggdrasil GS(with GEN5USB) and Ragnarok 2(just the amp) also use have connected to the amp an ME2 DAC( my speakers are new Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors and i use Sennheiser HD598s and RS-195s).thanks for your opinions and sorry to depart from cable cooking braiding/unbraiding and direct Schiit commentary which i really enjoy(you guys are sooo nice to each other compared to the sometimes nasty schrills/trolls on other sites--you know who i am talking about). bobbmd

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #53,884 of 149,105
And maybe it shouldn't be said, but posting in this thread (even when off-topic) keeps it visible on the first page of the forum, so new Head-Fiers can get some exposure to Schiit.

Perhaps this is a chicken/egg type thing, but I've always wondered if complaining about noise is not just adding to the noise being complained about.
Ponderance for a rainy Saturday, I suppose. :relaxed:

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #53,885 of 149,105
You are probably not a fan of Reflector but the silver shield version I am using in the Mjolnir is coming along nicely.

You're probably just a little short of the 100 hour break in time needed then. ROFL!!

I do not like them as well as Amperex yet but may before long. You really have to hunt around so as not to pay $100 up per tube for the 1975 version. I forget the Russian number, 3n23p or some such.

I have some Reflektor 6N23P's, but not the silver shield versions. Nice tubes, but I like the (adapted) triple mica Foton 6N3P better than them. But since I've never heard the silver shield 6N23's, that's strictly a FWIW comment.

By the way, your next photo should have the 1963 Melz in it instead of whatever Foton you are currently assessing. :ksc75smile:

I'm really wanting to hear it, but right now I have the Philips ECC40 warming up. Melz be next. :slight_smile:

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #53,886 of 149,105
You're probably just a little short of the 100 hour break in time needed then. ROFL!!

I have some Reflektor 6N23P's, but not the silver shield versions. Nice tubes, but I like the (adapted) triple mica Foton 6N3P better than them. But since I've never heard the silver shield 6N23's, that's strictly a FWIW comment.

I'm really wanting to hear it, but right now I have the Philips ECC40 warming up. Melz be next. :slight_smile:

I am still waiting on my ECC40 tubes, I need for them to arrive before I lose track of what I did with the adapters. The sockets just have a little notch in them, if you do not blow up your Lyr I will know it is safe to try mine. :ksc75smile:

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #53,887 of 149,105
it's probably nothing that Amazon, Google, Apple, Spotify, etc., could not easily clone if it appears to be helpful for growing their music services user base.
According to Roon's COO, they have somewhere above 100k members, meaning that their annual revenue is somewhere around $10M. That's a rounding error for the big players. Any of them have many opportunities with larger upside for a team of Roon's size. The only reason Roon has such a good team is that they are digital music fanatics who would rather do Roon than take on those other opportunities.

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #53,888 of 149,105
@Ripper2860 consumed the world's remaining supply of double wall cardboard building a carport for his '78 AMC Pacer.

Not true. I purchased the remaining world supply on the rumor that the Elon Musk / Tesla 'Cyber Truck' was going to be mfg'ed from a composite cardboard material. I had hoped to corner the market, drive cardboard prices up significantly, and then sell it all off for a huge profit. I guess I misread that one. :unamused:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #53,889 of 149,105
For me, I'd enjoy gingerly handling my discs as they go into/out of the tray. And reading the liner notes. And reminiscing about being 18-21 again at UBC residence, wanting to trek down to Wreck Beach, and marveling at the insane sound quality improvment over those godforsaken-burn-in-a-tangled-hell cassette tapes. When I eventually pick up a CD transport, it'll be almost entirely all about asethetics and rose-coloured-nostalgia. :gs1000smile:

This is a great reason to pick up a transport or (shudder) a turntable! If it improves your listening experience, then it makes all then sense in the world :ksc75smile:

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #53,890 of 149,105
Not true. I purchased the remaining world supply on the rumor that the Elon Musk / Tesla 'Cyber Truck' was going to be mfg'ed from a composite cardboard material. I had hoped to corner the market, drive cardboard prices up significantly, and then sell it all off for a huge profit. I guess I misread that one. :unamused:
@Ripper2860 my sons texted me to put a down payment on the pickup( they have owned TESLA since it's IPO and one has a model 3)-- I told them "DID IT" and that I opted for the 'windowless' model--funny story if you are interested the owner of the model 3 asked me to put in a 60amp line and he sent me a charger(comes up from brooklyn 3-5x/year) I sent him a pic after installation and asked "where's my Tesla you only come up a few times a year" silence on the other end of the phone later i told him a saw used one for sale at Tesla store in NYC he asked what model i said model c he asked how much i said 78000$ again silence on the other end of the phone---i am still waiting for that tesla and that outdoor charger is very lonely and virtually unused

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #53,891 of 149,105
Does anyone want to speculate about what happens to Gungnir in 2020? Unison added? Autonomy added? Analog 2 added? Other changes?

Given the breakthrough with Bifrost 2, isn't Gungnir looking ripe for a new version?

My take is, I'm not buying Schiit until most likely after the first of the year or when we find out more about what is happening with Unison regarding updating current products with it, especially the DAC cards. I know Jason doesn't like taking about future products anymore (even though he has hinted at things in some chapters), however now that we all know new stuff is coming, and some products are getting to the age where they "should" be getting updated/replaced it might be time to start feeding us (the hardcore schiitheads) a little more info on what's coming down the pipe.

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #53,892 of 149,105
To anyone in general and @Jason Stoddard in particular : just got email from Audirvana+3 suggesting an install of an AU plugin for MacOS from this site https://sonimus.com/products/soneq/free-downloads/
does anyone know about this and would you recommend it? would/should/could i use this in my new system Schiit Yggdrasil GS(with GEN5USB) and Ragnarok 2(just the amp) also use have connected to the amp an ME2 DAC( my speakers are new Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors and i use Sennheiser HD598s and RS-195s).thanks for your opinions and sorry to depart from cable cooking braiding/unbraiding and direct Schiit commentary which i really enjoy(you guys are sooo nice to each other compared to the sometimes nasty schrills/trolls on other sites--you know who i am talking about). bobbmd

I use Audirvana 3.5.2 on Windows 10 to stream Qobuz and have the free SonEQ equalizer VST3 plugin. It is a very useful, not too complicated equalizer that works well with Audirvana. I use it to tweak the FR of my HD800S to my personal preference.

I like it because it is not too complex and is quite transparent. Another company to check out is Toneboosters. They have a Morphit VST3 plugin with presets for many headphone models and an Equalizer 4 plugin, both VST3 and about $50 each.

You could also consider a free trial of Sonarworks. Tyll Hertsens of Inner Fidelity used the pro DMGAudio Equilibrium VST3 equalizer but that one will set you back over $400.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #53,894 of 149,105
I use Audirvana 3.5.2 on Windows 10 to stream Qobuz and have the free SonEQ equalizer VST3 plugin. It is a very useful, not too complicated equalizer that works well with Audirvana. I use it to tweak the FR of my HD800S to my personal preference.

I like it because it is not too complex and is quite transparent. Another company to check out is Toneboosters. They have a Morphit VST3 plugin with presets for many headphone models and an Equalizer 4 plugin, both VST3 and about $50 each.

You could also consider a free trial of Sonarworks. Tyll Hertsens of Inner Fidelity used the pro DMGAudio Equilibrium VST3 equalizer but that one will set you back over $400.
@exdmd thanks for the positive response will hold off until i hear from more of you-my CFO would never allow another 400$ after letting me get the above system!!

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #53,895 of 149,105
I am still waiting on my ECC40 tubes, I need for them to arrive before I lose track of what I did with the adapters. The sockets just have a little notch in them, if you do not blow up your Lyr I will know it is safe to try mine. :ksc75smile:

I put this ECC40 in the adapter, and then stuck it in the Hickok for a full test before it went in the Lyr. That's just me and my usual OCD-ness, but at least the Lyr is safe. :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back