Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 22, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #53,821 of 148,506
I appreciate your enthusiasm for Vandersteen. I love that company, too. Richard really make some fantastic speakers. In fact, I heard the Treos and they are no doubt among the best I've heard. That being said, I've had a chance to demo the Tekton's a couple times and in my opinion it's no contest. DI's are the best speaker I've ever heard regardless of price. They earn their reputation to complete against 30k speakers (again, my humble opinion). They do everyting right and the Dynamics are just incredible. Eric Alexander doing something special with that mid range tweeter array.

In regards to amps for the Vandersteen, I don't think the Aegir has enough juice since the Vandys are so inefficient. (I like to listen at high volumes, too) Vidar would be the better choice here. Tekton's are very efficient, so Aegirs would still deliver even at high volumes.

Were you demoing the DI's in your current listening space with your current components?

If not keep in mind you were also demoing the room and all the components in the chain.

Nov 22, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #53,822 of 148,506
I had a nightmare last night. Woke up in a sweat while dreaming of trying and failing to get a cartridge aligned on a turntable. Nope, not going backwards to that world.

re: Tekton VS Vandersteen. Tekton makes lots of big sound. Vandersteen makes coherent sound. IMO.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #53,823 of 148,506
I know that this is off topic but I have to share a Hidden Netflix gem with my friends. Check out Anohana. I recommend Japanese with Subtitle version. The music in the opening and end credits is also excellent.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #53,824 of 148,506
I had a nightmare last night. Woke up in a sweat while dreaming of trying and failing to get a cartridge aligned on a turntable. Nope, not going backwards to that world.

re: Tekton VS Vandersteen. Tekton makes lots of big sound. Vandersteen makes coherent sound. IMO.

So I've been playing around with a turntable the last little while, first an older one from the 80'd and now a newer model. It's kinda frustrating, but enjoyable. Mind you I'm looking at it as a hobby. And I'm doing all my tinkering while listening to Qobuz over my schiit and Zu rig and it's quite enjoyable. I would be very frustrated if all I had was vinyl. It's definitely not flick a switch que up some music and relax.

That's a pretty broad claim for brand vs brand.. hoping you've had lots of experience with both brands.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #53,825 of 148,506
That's a pretty broad claim for brand vs brand.. hoping you've had lots of experience with both brands.
Enough to have an opinion. :)

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #53,826 of 148,506
Post them here, it's more relevant to this thread than a lot of what is posted...

You are right, and it is Jason's thread. No matter what you do or say someone is going to gripe and we do have the ignore feature. :ksc75smile: I have no skin in the game, if I think something like the cable cooker does some good, I will say that.

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #53,827 of 148,506
You are right, and it is Jason's thread. No matter what you do or say someone is going to gripe and we do have the ignore feature. :ksc75smile: I have no skin in the game, if I think something like the cable cooker does some good, I will say that.

I just don't understand why there needs to be a multipage discussion on cable cooking in here vs. the Cables forum or the Sound Science forum. If there's enough interest in cable cooking, why not start a dedicated thread for it? If someone actually wanted to find info on cable cooking, wouldn't it make sense to make it easy to find instead of burying it in Schiit Happened?

I know, there are many, many, many other off-topic discussions running through here and you are far from the only one engaging in it. That doesn't mean we should add to the noise.

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #53,828 of 148,506

HA!...you and me both :beerchug:

Totally understand this comment...

Back when I had audio systems with loudspeakers, I literally had three setups - one for acoustic music (coherent - Quad, Maggies, etc.), one for rock/blues (big sound - JBL, Infinity, Klipsch, etc.), and a home theater (2 subwoofers :ksc75smile:)

So glad that the headphone market took off!

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #53,829 of 148,506
I don't understand the anger over noise on this thread. That noise is the charm, it's what keeps the thread and community vibrant.

If there is noise that bothers you, just keep on scrolling past it until you find some noise that is music to your ears. I scroll past all of the Pi talk, most of the Roon talk, and Cat talk. I do miss Wink though. He had a certain charm.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #53,830 of 148,506
Back when I had audio systems with loudspeakers, I literally had three setups - one for acoustic music (coherent - Quad, Maggies, etc.), one for rock/blues (big sound - JBL, Infinity, Klipsch, etc.), and a home theater (2 subwoofers :ksc75smile:)

So glad that the headphone market took off!
Yes, if I wanted to listen to concert-volume levels of rock music something like Tekton's would be perfect for that. If I wanted to listen to intimate acoustic performances then a more coherent system would sound better. And that's not to say that either system could not be used for both, it's just one of the thousands of audio compromises we all choose. It's all about taste and preference as there is no perfect system.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #53,831 of 148,506
Yes, if I wanted to listen to concert-volume levels of rock music something like Tekton's would be perfect for that. If I wanted to listen to intimate acoustic performances then a more coherent system would sound better. And that's not to say that either system could not be used for bboth, it's just one of the thousands of audio compromises we all choose. It's all about taste and preference as there is no perfect system.

Just order some Zu's. They do it all well, and none of it perfect. (Yes that's just an opinion) I'm sure that @FLTWS would scoff at them for classical.

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #53,832 of 148,506
I just don't understand why there needs to be a multipage discussion on cable cooking in here vs. the Cables forum or the Sound Science forum. If there's enough interest in cable cooking, why not start a dedicated thread for it? If someone actually wanted to find info on cable cooking, wouldn't it make sense to make it easy to find instead of burying it in Schiit Happened?

I know, there are many, many, many other off-topic discussions running through here and you are far from the only one engaging in it. That doesn't mean we should add to the noise.

sorry but I have far more people pm’ing me that I should post it. Ignore me and you will not see it. I am doing the same for you.

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #53,833 of 148,506
Just order some Zu's. They do it all well, and none of it perfect. (Yes that's just an opinion) I'm sure that @FLTWS would scoff at them for classical.
I've actually spent time with the Druids and with their MTM system - what was that one called? In any case they do sound good but they just didn't "do it" for me.

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #53,834 of 148,506
I don't understand the anger over noise on this thread. That noise is the charm, it's what keeps the thread and community vibrant.

If there is noise that bothers you, just keep on scrolling past it until you find some noise that is music to your ears. I scroll past all of the Pi talk, most of the Roon talk, and Cat talk. I do miss Wink though. He had a certain charm.

Well said

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #53,835 of 148,506
Yes, if I wanted to listen to concert-volume levels of rock music something like Tekton's would be perfect for that. If I wanted to listen to intimate acoustic performances then a more coherent system would sound better. And that's not to say that either system could not be used for both, it's just one of the thousands of audio compromises we all choose. It's all about taste and preference as there is no perfect system.

Yep! Funny you mention that...my first foray into more coherent speakers was the Dahlquist DQ10. They weren't terribly inexpensive and an engaging listen; wouldn't go 'LOUD' though.

Ended up trying Stacked Pairs along with two subs...definitely loud but lost the coherence! That's when I decided I 'needed' two separate rooms -- one for Acoustic and one for Rock/Blues. My wife was very patient back then even when I built out my third audio room (for HT) in our basement :)

upload_2019-11-22_13-37-59.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back