1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. ScubaMan2017
    I know this may appear to be a smart ass comment... and I regret that. A couple of weeks ago, the local university's junior orchestra set up in my high school's cafeteria/stage and gave several recitals. I felt the vibrations before I walked in. The group was miked-up and amped out. Perhaps that's still the ultimate amp set up. Re: headamp. My gut's telling me that Senheisser's Orpheus monster is the uber-amp. I wonder what unusual chipsets and wiring choices are under that shiny amp?

2. johnjen
    Did you hook up the HP cable to the high or low powered cook circuits?

JJ

bcowen likes this.
  3. Paladin79
    Low powered i suppose, those are the ones Bill had made RCA connectors for.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    bcowen likes this.
  4. bcowen
    The USB is all I've used, at least so far. My HP listening is almost exclusively streaming Tidal through a laptop, so the USB is the only real output option. With that setup, the EITR made a very nice improvement when used in conjunction with the Modi Multibit by converting the laptop's USB output to coaxial S/PDIF and isolating all the (usual) USB noise. I'm assuming Unison in the Bifrost 2 is doing the same noise killing, albeit in a different manner. I haven't tried using the EITR with the Bifrost 2 and going into the Bifrost with coax...I'll get around to testing that at some point. If it sounds better that way I'm going to be seriously bummed out 'cause then I'll have to build a new rack. :smile:

Paladin79 likes this.
  5. bcowen
    I hate "+1" posts, but I'm doing it here.

But no worries -- I now hate myself. :relaxed:

Timster likes this.
  6. bcowen
    Crap. Another +1.

I doubly hate myself. :laughing:

porchwizard, Timster and yonson like this.
  7. bcowen
    He already has an artist's rendition of one. LOL!

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  8. Paladin79
    Does that mean I need to start designing another rack whose design you can borrow again? I really think you will like the Unison USB when you get around to it. Sorry I only pretended to read all of your post, I need to try to fake paying closer attention in the future.

bcowen likes this.
  9. bcowen
    Yes, please. But please keep my size constraints in mind when you design it so that it's easy to copy. :smile:

The Unison USB is what I'm using now...maybe I misstated that earlier. Laptop USB out -> Bifrost 2 USB in. Or are you referring to something else? I still haven't had my coffee....:slight_smile:

Paladin79 likes this.
  10. Paladin79

I skimmed what you wrote, glad you are liking the Unison. I try to make no great claims about my hearing but I cannot tell much difference between the unison and digital coax using the same source.

bcowen likes this.
  11. bcowen
    Skimmed? SKIMMED? I'm so offended I'm thinking about designing my own rack next time. :relaxed:

But I'm only thinking about it. If you need exact dimensions for a new design that I can easily copy to fit my allotted space, let me know. LOL!

RIPPER Rack 1.jpg

12. Paladin79
    Hell's ducks man! You need thinner wood, I would go with quarter inch plywood or double wall cardboard, it is probably more your style anyway. Send the tiger maple to me and I will try to find it a good home. :ksc75smile: Has your wife confined you to one corner of the house again? You need more space, tell her what your audio equipment is worth, that could help.

johnjen, RickB and bcowen like this.
  13. bcowen
    @Ripper2860 consumed the world's remaining supply of double wall cardboard building a carport for his '78 AMC Pacer. So that's out. And plywood? Really? What kind of self-respecting audiophile wannabe do you take me for? I have standards, man. Low standards, but still standards. :relaxed:

14. Paladin79
    You are probably not a fan of Reflector but the silver shield version I am using in the Mjolnir is coming along nicely. I do not like them as well as Amperex yet but may before long. You really have to hunt around so as not to pay $100 up per tube for the 1975 version. I forget the Russian number, 3n23p or some such.

By the way, your next photo should have the 1963 Melz in it instead of whatever Foton you are currently assessing. :ksc75smile:

bcowen likes this.
  15. jnak00
    Sounds a little like this thread.

Don't misunderstand, I am not put out or angry with all the noise. Mildly annoyed is more like it. And I know there is no chance of people changing their behaviour.

If I ever wanted to try cooking cables or wanted to talk about it, this isn't the first place I would look. There seems to be a really good, ongoing discussion on it (I only assume this from the quantity of posts as I haven't read most of them), so to me it would be logical to take that discussion somewhere dedicated to it. That's it.

I'll stop contributing to the noise about noise now.

S-S-MR, yonson and yvfed1 like this.